he did not give me the 1000 quid, but said you will have saved

that much by not smoking.

regards Worgeordie

Brilliant, love your old man ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

You/everyone knows the medical reasons to quit, so I won't bother;

Nice write up.

I am into my 2nd decade of not smoking, have seen a few friends pass, and a family member pass from smoking.

Having smoked for around 25 solid years, pack a day, it wasn't till 7 years after that I had a heart attack at age 47, so you can imagine the narrowing of the arteries from the cigarettes smoked over the years.

I ate healthy and exercised when I stopped, that said, we don't see the damage we do to our internals by the cigarette smoke we inhale.

Glad I stopped, glad I made it through my heart attack and am glad I care enough for myself to want to keep breathing to live another day, week, month, year, decade/s without another cigarette in my life.

Keep it up, you have broken the addiction, now just keep living a healthy life to get the maximum out of it. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Poet said:

The same goes for anyone living living in Chiang Mai or elsewhere in the north of Thailand during the first half of the year.

I run a couple of 3000 baht air purifiers in my apartment non-stop. Worst was 45 PMI when the outside air was 500. Can't do much about going shopping, a PM 2.5 mask is about all I can do.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Poet said:

Yup, it's a desperate situation.

Don't forget that the highest exposure on the bad days is when you are in an air-conditioned car.

I take comfort from the fact the bigwigs that come up from Bangkok, for the sake of appearing as if they are doing something, travel in convoys that way.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Good on you SB. Well done! I've now been smoke free now for 9 months also. Was nowhere near as hard as I thought giving up, being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer certainly helped my decision, am feeling as good as ever. I have no desire to ever smoke again. :thumbsup:

@PatOngo I wish I knew what to say. One of my oldest friends is just beginning Chemo for stage 4 lung cancer, and her prognosis isn't good. I sit down in front of my computer to write, but not much gets typed.

I wish you all the happiness that you can find; it isn't much, but it is the best that I can do.

Actually, I do know what to say; Cigarettes are <deleted> evil!

@worgeordie I think I would like your Dad, and he gave you much, much more than a thousand quid's worth of education.

@Lacessit Thanks for the info re: lung capacity. As I noted above, I cycle every morning and can feel the difference. I would have guessed that I had doubled my oxygen intake since I quit, and it is good to hear general confirmation.

PS. Sadly, back in the day, I would have driven that 100 KMs to get smokes.

As I said, cigarettes are <deleted> evil.

@sungod: +1

@4MyEgo: +1

@stouricks Thanks for your comment. Your specific wording that you haven't smoked tobacco since 10th October 1972 is... er... ahem... thought-provoking. Perhaps some other stuff went up in smoke? :cheesy::cheesy:

Thanks for the comments. Off to the beach to enjoy that clean ocean air!

Have a good day all

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of Coffee; nicotine I can quit, but don't get between me and the coffee pot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 8:29 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

The rest of the battle is staying away from the vile things; they say that about half of people who quit start again, so you have to be vigilant. In my case, I am adamant that I am not going to start again, and ever watchful that I do not become over-confident. I have thought to myself that I could probably handle an occasional smoke, but then realized the insidiousness of the addiction and punched myself in the face. I have thought about an occasional cigar, but then realized where it was leading and kicked myself in the nuts. You have to be forever vigilant.

NO!

2 hours ago, wombat said:

repeat after me.....i am a non smoker.

YES! YES! YES!

This is the truth. You are a non-smoker now, full-stop!! Non-smokers don't think about smoking.

"ever watchful that I do not become over-confident." Why? Because you're thinking about it. "have to be vigilant." You're still obsessed over it. You just spent 1300+ words to talk about something you did 3 years ago.

No more! It is finished. Over with! Kaput!

• Like 1

After smoking 20 years I was addicted to nicotine replacement for 10yrs lol, patches, gum etc. Although it was better than smoking I still resented the compulsion. Finally packed it all in a few years back but there's hardly a day that passes that I don't get a craving (gone in 5 min. thankfully). No wonder the governments loved it as revenue generator, maybe the most addictive substance on earth.. 

I stopped 3 years ago after a lifetime of smoking.

Best thing I have ever done.

The writing was on the wall for me when I went back to the UK about 5 years ago and firstly realised I couldn't smoke during the flight - 14 hours, or during the coach trip to Cardiff 3 - 4 hours or when I reached my hotel, or when I went to the pub, but had to go outside. 

And when I saw the price of a pack at £7 + ( I had my duty frees ), but it still had an impact.

Running around Swampy to get to the smoking room and having to go through all the checks again , shoes belt pockets etc etc, it was crazy. And then a slight problem with my breathing and I stopped.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 2

you need a medal or something ?

for years you have blown your disgusting smoke around people who never asked for it

is this something like morbid obese people finally see the light and lose weight, which before they always had excuses, blabla,  and now have a normal weight and everybody have to congratulate them ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Some great tips here to help stop so I thought I would add mine..

Make a pact with a close friend to both stop together

Think of a different reason every day why you want to stop. There are hundreds when you start to think. Also this is a way to really reinforce your reasons for stopping.

Really want to stop.

Think what it costs per year to smoke let alone a lifetime.

OK so the tax man benefits from smokers but why should we help them .

If you do stop for a year or so then start again (i did) people say it will be harder to stop. I found that as I stopped for a year I also knew I could stop again, and this seemed to help me stop permanently .

I, too, have my father to thank for my being a life-long (now aged 75) non-smoker.  My father had a horrendous smoker's cough.  As an impressionable child, I didn't want to end up like he did, with the same awful cough. So I never took the habit up, despite peer pressure from my pals. Smoking also appears to have hastened my father's end, as he died from a chest-infection not eighteen months into retirement!

I would remind TVF members that, among such harmful activities as the burning season in the north-west, even something seemingly as harmless as a Barbie (to Australians) or making braaivleis (to South Africans) deposits a huge amount of harmful charcoal inside us, and the effects are no different to smoking.  Just sayin' . . .

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, Surelynot said:

For some reason I don't find it addictive.....I can smoke for a couple of months then kind of forget to?......might not smoke for a couple of years then take it up again for a couple of weeks or a month or two then jack it in again.

Same here. Started when I was 7 and would smoke for a few months then stop. I would buy 200 cigs to take on holiday, then stop until the next year, finally giving up at 31 years of age.......until I came here and started again at 60!  But again I can smoke 2 or 3 and then none for a week. And if I return to the Uk, none for 6weeks.

It would be an interesting and useful piece of research for the organisations that help people to stop, to analyse why it's so addictive for some and not others.

Now.....beers another thing!

On 9/17/2020 at 3:00 AM, bodga said:

Like  many things  in life  PEER  PRESSURE  is  the main cause, I resisted  all  peer  pressure for alcohol and tobacco and ended  up  not being  in with the "in" crowd as a  youngster.

i agree, i gave up in my mid 20s, it was a no brainer my health was suffering and i wanted to start playing rugby again and generally be fit and healthy. so i simply decided to stop and that was it; it wasn't easy but it wasn't that hard either. one thing i did was i didnt tell my smoker friends i had quit for the first week, i told them i had a sore throat so wasn't smoking. after that their attempts to get me to start again all failed. i haven't smoked a cigarette since the day i to stopped. if i can do it anyone can.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Congratulations on making it three years. I'm just a couple weeks into quitting and it's definitely been rough. I have noticed that the cravings have started to subside a little bit and it feels like it gets easier with time. Just have to stay on top of it. Posts like this definitely help motivate those of us in the early stages. 

• Like 2