Medical Insurance

nathan1980

Hello I am looking to purchase medical insurance.

Can anyone tell me what is best for the the following:

Male - 40 (British)

South East Asia or Worldwide (exc US)

A plan that is reliable and recognised for direct billing with private hospitals throughout Thailand

Inpatient/Outpatient cover

24 hour assistance 

Direct Billing

I read good things about Luma Health but someone mentioned that they increase their policies based on their overall claims of all of their customers not on a individual basis.

I have a son 10 months old (Thai/British) and girlfriend 32 (Thai) I believe they are covered by the Thai Universal Health system?

Please if anyone has any advice or previous experience researching and purchasing medical insurance that would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Nathan 

You are still young so there's many company's a Google Search or TV forum search will help get you quotes.

There's a lady TV mod who has much information and good advice.

I use the Thai health system because when I got older they dumped me.

Fortunately unlike others I wasn't paying for private health insurance for too long. 

At 40 you have abundant choices.  I have been very happy with April International (issued out of France not the local policy) and they have direct billing. But really at your age you have many choices.

it is always best to go through a broker. They will provide you with comparative charts of options and also help afterwards if needed with claims. I use AA broker  www.aainsure.net

Your GF and chld are indeed covered under the Thai government system but have to use the hospital which covers the area where they are listed in a tabian ban. (House book). This can be changed and is worth doing if they live somewhere other than their TB listing and expect to be there (i.e. in that city/town) for a while.

I think you will want to reconsider the outpatient cover once you see the premiums as it almost doubles the cost. In-Patient only policies will usually still cover outpatient cancer care and dialysis; some also cover care in an ER and outpatient care for 30 days after a hospitalization. Outpatient costs in Thailand, except for things like cancer treatment and dialysis, are quite affordable and the added premium for insurance that covers OPD is seldom worth it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 12:36 PM, Sheryl said:

At 40 you have abundant choices.  I have been very happy with April International (issued out of France not the local policy) and they have direct billing. But really at your age you have many choices.

it is always best to go through a broker. They will provide you with comparative charts of options and also help afterwards if needed with claims. I use AA broker  www.aainsure.net

Your GF and chld are indeed covered under the Thai government system but have to use the hospital which covers the area where they are listed in a tabian ban. (House book). This can be changed and is worth doing if they live somewhere other than their TB listing and expect to be there (i.e. in that city/town) for a while.

I think you will want to reconsider the outpatient cover once you see the premiums as it almost doubles the cost. In-Patient only policies will usually still cover outpatient cancer care and dialysis; some also cover care in an ER and outpatient care for 30 days after a hospitalization. Outpatient costs in Thailand, except for things like cancer treatment and dialysis, are quite affordable and the added premium for insurance that covers OPD is seldom worth it.

And for a healthy 70 year old companies please

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

What has that experience been like?

The experience personally for me is just the same because I used the local govt hospital when I had health ins, as it happens it works out much cheaper than health insurance.

We are lucky to have a good hospital obviously the Asthma clinic within the hospital is busy but I get health checked every 4 months. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The experience personally for me is just the same because I used the local govt hospital when I had health ins, as it happens it works out much cheaper than health insurance.

We are lucky to have a good hospital obviously the Asthma clinic within the hospital is busy but I get health checked every 4 months. 

How can you qualify for government health insurance, other than working and paying taxes?

Which government hospitals in Bangkok would you recommend?

19 minutes ago, seeriipaap said:

How can you qualify for government health insurance, other than working and paying taxes?

Which government hospitals in Bangkok would you recommend?

I don't qualify for Thai govt health insurance, I think you have to be married to a Thai that works for the government to qualify. 

I had private health insurance from a a Thai health insurance company who dumped me because of my age,  even after passing a full health check at there request. 

I don't know of any govt hospitals in Bkk I would never live there.

Our local govt hospital is in New Sukhothai and I pay for my treatment.