Thailand let 180.000.000.000 baht fly away ?

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The Philippines and Cambodia, just in the region.  More if you include all of Latin America and the Caribbean.

ASK their landlords, and the shop-owners where they spend their money, if they want that income gone.  Those foreigners have an income well over that of the average Thai - are supporting Thais by staying.

Philippines and Cambodia have an absolutely horrible infrastructure starting with the most basic things such as internet. I could never live in these countries.

A lot if not the majority of the Thai landlords don't even declare their rental income so why would the government care?

In this country one hand shakes the other and the regular people are in many cases just as corrupt and two faced as the government agencies are.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, FlyingThai said:

A lot of speculation in this post and who told you this fantasy that Thai women go husband shopping overseas and then said man returns to Thailand with her? ????

I strongly believe that what FINKS is saying is absolutely incorrect and this must be refuted. The Thai government is NOT, repeat NOT, kicking out people who are legally here, or meet criteria set by laws. I don't know where you come from, but show me a country in the world, that allows foreigners to stay in their countries illegally. I would like to point out that Farangs like you, I am referring to FINKS, are responsible for the Thai people doubting the value of having even decent foreigners. The way you refer to some Thai people, Thai ladies, shows your ignorance and arrogance. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ehgnyc said:

There was a post on one of the threads that rang the most true to me. I can't find it now. It made it clear that this isn't something the government is doing to foreigners, it's to their own people. They want lots of businesses to fail so the elites can buy up their properties cheap. I find that incredibly sad.

From what I can understand $1000 USD per agent visa is going in the pocket of an immigration chief. I'm told they're all millionaires. If I was asked to give that money to the poor or to help the environment of this country I would have been fighting to be the first to sign up. It is a shame that to be an expat here means having to check your moral compass at the border.

I thought agent assisted visas were <30K baht. How then can the TI chief be getting $1000 US /visa. You have zero credibility. You're just making things up from you bar stool.

BTW I don't know the true cost because I do things myself, I only read thing about agents on TVF.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:41 AM, checkered flag said:

An Elite visa is reported to cost 500K and is good for 5 years.  That's about $15k dollars. Divided by 5 years is about $3k/year (US dollars). I don't know if a yearly fee is on top of this on top of this. I don't know the details, but if someone needs to stay it's a possibility. 

Maybe if you research it you'll find out something different, but this is my understanding.

I think your missing something and are just replying to make your point about some people that can't afford an elite visa . The numbers that are talked about here 50.000×30.000×12 are the OP's fake numbers about the money that thailand is alledgedly missing out on . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I think your missing something and are just replying to make your point about some people that can't afford an elite visa . The numbers that are talked about here 50.000×30.000×12 are the OP's fake numbers about the money that thailand is alledgedly missing out on . 

It's not 50,000 visa holders that are affected. Maybe a couple hundred. Then assuming that they spend an average 30K/month is pure speculation. Is buying a few pints of beer really helping the Thai economy? 

They don't all need to get an elite visa and can go the way of asking an agent to help. 

6 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Seems like the things you read are not being picked up by your own brains and seems like you are just here to bash on other people's replies . I think you should go find a hobby . Or is this your hobby ?? The checkered flag has been waved for you better stop replying because your replies don't make any sence and everything after the checkered flag doesn't count anymore ????

I don't want the same hobby as you. I guess you can't understand that your preferred options are gone and you need a plan B. Their are only 5 working days left to plan. Good luck.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I thought agent assisted visas were <30K baht. How then can the TI chief be getting $1000 US /visa. You have zero credibility. You're just making things up from you bar stool.

BTW I don't know the true cost because I do things myself, I only read thing about agents on TVF.

Depends on the visa-type.  If you aren't retired, you may need a district-level sign-off - and that guy wants 10K+ Baht per-signature - whether to "overlook" the faked money - or even more for Non-B cases of "Have to go out for a new visa" (no such law).

It also depends what office - CW-Bangkok can be 10K more expensive per-type than Jomtien, for instance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Depends on the visa-type.  If you aren't retired, you may need a district-level sign-off - and that guy wants 10K+ Baht per-signature - whether to "overlook" the faked money - or even more for Non-B cases of "Have to go out for a new visa" (no such law).

It also depends what office - CW-Bangkok can be 10K more expensive per-type than Jomtien, for instance.

Pretty simple story. I have lived and worked in China, Myanmar and then for the last 2 1/2 years in Cambodia. Thailand is where I went to the beach, the doctor, the dentist and made major purchases, like a computer. I came here for two weeks in March on a 30 day, and then the border to Cambodia was closed to US citizens. Now, due to the pandemic, my job in Cambodia is finished. I planned on retiring in December here anyway, so it was no great loss. I tried to start the retirement visa process in the Koh Samui IO and was pretty much laughed out of the place. "You have to leave the country to do that." Ha, ha, ha. They, of course, knew full well that I wouldn't be able to get back into Thailand. I tried to show financials, etc., and they were having none of it. I don't know how to bribe people on my own and wouldn't even begin to attempt it. I'm on an embassy letter extension, and yes, much to my chagrin, an agent is next.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Well said. Man y thanks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ehgnyc said:

You're right you don't know the true cost now during the pandemic. The $1000 was out of a 50K baht visa charge. And that's considered cheap these days for a retirement visa that if I could cross a border and go to a Thai embassy, I would fully qualify for, but can't do here. For me, this isn't a stay in this country desperate solution, it is something I have planned for years. Your insults are not welcome.

Wow, 50K for a retirement visa. That's very expensive indeed. I think mine was 1900 baht at immigration and showing 65K monthly foreign transfers which I use for monthly expenses. My plan was to do things legitimately through my local TI department and not need to get new visas yearly. 

I have never seen TI have their hands out and they are always polite. 

For someone trying to keep you cost down, you are now asked to pay a steep price.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ehgnyc said:

Pretty simple story. I have lived and worked in China, Myanmar and then for the last 2 1/2 years in Cambodia. Thailand is where I went to the beach, the doctor, the dentist and made major purchases, like a computer. I came here for two weeks in March on a 30 day, and then the border to Cambodia was closed to US citizens. Now, due to the pandemic, my job in Cambodia is finished. I planned on retiring in December here anyway, so it was no great loss. I tried to start the retirement visa process in the Koh Samui IO and was pretty much laughed out of the place. "You have to leave the country to do that." Ha, ha, ha. They, of course, knew full well that I wouldn't be able to get back into Thailand. I tried to show financials, etc., and they were having none of it. I don't know how to bribe people on my own and wouldn't even begin to attempt it. I'm on an embassy letter extension, and yes, much to my chagrin, an agent is next.

Sounds like you're very lost in the process. It's very easy but the main hurdle is usually the financials. Financials for a Non O retirement are 800K in a Thai Bank 2 months prior and 3 months after application or 65K of foreign transfers ( could be as little as 2 months for new application but some want 12 months). There are checklists available on this forum.

The laughing probably came from not having the paperwork in order.

If you meet all the requirements agent assistance with the paperwork shouldn't be expensive. If you don't it could be expensive.

What were you doing for the past 6 months and not taking care of this important matter?

BTW if you don't turn 50 until Dec 2020, you probably cooked.

5 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Sounds like you're very lost in the process. It's very easy but the main hurdle is usually the financials. Financials for a Non O retirement are 800K in a Thai Bank 2 months prior and 3 months after application or 65K of foreign transfers ( could be as little as 2 months for new application but some want 12 months). There are checklists available on this forum.

The laughing probably came from not having the paperwork in order.

If you meet all the requirements agent assistance with the paperwork shouldn't be expensive. If you don't it could be expensive.

What were you doing for the past 6 months and not taking care of this important matter?

BTW if you don't turn 50 until Dec 2020, you probably cooked.

I'm 61. I was waiting to see if my job in Cambodia, which I was still under contract for until December 15th, was going to resume operations. They aren't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Do you have a number to support it will only be hundreds?

Given the whole industry with visa agents and language schools, Muay Thai, etc.. which enabled foreigner to stay in Thailand as tourists during pre-covid times, I'd rather estimate thousands.

More than 150,000 on expired tourist visas alone, according to the deputy spokesman of the Immigration Bureau in the BP today. Non-O and other visa types would make it more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, checkered flag said:

Two of my pals just bought 'agent extensions' in Chiang Mai.

One obtained one via some 'army scheme' ...... 52k.

Another got one via a 'charitable foundation scheme' ......... 45k.

Apparently they have to turn up for 'group activities' every 3 months where photo's of their participation will be taken as evidence of their legit participation.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Two of my pals just bought 'agent extensions' in Chiang Mai.

One obtained one via some 'army scheme' ...... 52k.

Another got one via a 'foundation scheme' ......... 45k.

Apparently they have to turn up for 'group activities' every 3 months where photo's of their participation will be take as evidence of their legit participation.

Has the cost recently gone up? Costs seem high but understandable because of deadlines.

Just now, checkered flag said:

Has the cost recently gone up? Costs seem high but understandable because of deadlines.

It appears so as 6 months back it was only 25k for a retirement extension (with zero finances).

I'm guessing as the number of customers reduce, the level of bribes required increase. 

But I can only speak for the prices required in Chiang Mai.

Edited by BritManToo

43 minutes ago, greggraham said:

More than 150,000 on expired tourist visas alone, according to the deputy spokesman of the Immigration Bureau in the BP today. Non-O and other visa types would make it more. 

Why then are the hotels empty and tourist areas ghost towns? That number of tourists is very hard to hide. 

Best to make sure there's enough space at the IDC.

Edited by checkered flag

27 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Thailand's GDP is around 4,000,000,000,000 THB. This notion that these remaining tourists spend is significant is simply not true. It is a drop in the ocean. It is like pouring a bottle of water into the Pacific Ocean - makes no material difference.

People who post here about how significant this cash apparently is, completely fail to understand the economics of the situation. This money they'd spend is pocket change. 

Does it make sense to allow these tourists onto the 9 month visa? Maybe. But that doesn't get around the fact that the money they spend is still tiny. It is nothing.

With their self inflated sense of importance they might think they spend a lot, but in the scheme of things, it is nothing.

If what you say is true why does Thailand bother with trying to set up the new Special Tourist Visa for only 1200 people per month. Sure they may be some high spenders among these but the number of visa affected would balance the 1200's spending power.