Pattaya's mayor in the dark about new tourist visa: What are the ten "safe" countries mentioned?

webfact

Pattaya's mayor in the dark about new tourist visa: What are the ten "safe" countries mentioned?

5pm2.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Pattaya's strongarm mayor Sontaya Khunpluem admitted to Manager that he is largely in the dark about the countries mentioned as playing a role in the Special Tourist Visa (STV) program that the cabinet gave the nod to on Tuesday.

He said that he had heard that ten countries are on a list as those that have the virus under control but he doesn't know which ones are being considered.

All he knows is that the visa is for 90 days, can be extended up to 270 days and that it is hoped to be able to attract 1,000 to 1,200 tourists a month that will bring in 1.2 billion baht a month. 

5pm.jpg

Thaivisa notes that if this target is to be reached initially each of the tourists will have to spend a million baht or well in excess of $30,000 EACH per month. 

They have been described as "well-heeled" - they will have to be. 

5pm1.jpg

Sontaya told Manager that he had been working with the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) in anticipation of the country opening up.

His work with them and others in the tourism sector will be presented to the cabinet so that Pattaya's role in opening up can be defined. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-17

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that if this target is to be reached initially each of the tourists will have to spend a million baht or well in excess of $30,000 EACH per month.

If Thai Visa thinks that, then Thai Visa can´t count. It´s directly understood that they have made the calculation on a nine month period, and therefore your initial calculation fails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They have been described as "well-heeled" - they will have to be. 

Gonna be some sole searching there

to get laced up with that .. some may toe the line but there'll be plenty also kicking their heels .. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He thinks Pattaya will get the 1,000-1,200 well heeled high spending tourists... does he know he might have to share them with Phuket and maybe even Samui....

They can have 100 each per week.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Dreaming comes naturally to Thai but dont usually come true i personally cannot see the super rich coming here and spending 1 million baht per month for 9 months you may get lucky to get some to stay for the first 90 days and that will probably be it .

Just because you give them a 90 day visa doesnt mean that they would all stay for that long unless they considered living here and why would the super rich want to live here .

The Super Rich know where to domicile, and it aint in Thailand

If they draw in some cashed up folks with corrupt money to hide, I could easily see them bringing in a few million baht from each as they gobble up condos for their SHTF bugout plan B.

All part of the master plan...

Edit:  I'd add that, if you look at the cumulative effect of drawing in 1200 tourists a month and letting them stay for up to 9 months, they don't have to spend a million baht each to reach their wet dream of a billion baht a month.  1200 a month for 9 months is 10,800 tourists drawn in and they only have to spend 3,000 baht a day per head to bring in a billion baht a month.  Of course, it ain't gonna happen in month #1.  Unless they all buy condos, which may be the thinking anyway.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Caught me the other day, as the water was off but, I have a tank and pump no issue... so they cut the electric for 10 minutes too!

Now there is only few people staying in Pattaya

i don't even imagine what could be the drought\water problem

if it was business as usual with millions of persons in the area during the last months

anyway i still have my personal water stock here, just in case

water stock 001.JPG

On 9/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, webfact said:

All he knows is that the visa is for 90 days, can be extended up to 270 days and that it is hoped to be able to attract 1,000 to 1,200 tourists a month that will bring in 1.2 billion baht a month. 

1000-1200 tourists generating 1.2 billion baht a month, huh? Seems like the plan is to make all these tourists fly Thai Airways, then. 

On 9/17/2020 at 12:42 PM, petermik said:

Incorrect sir....for many years now Pattaya has been known as  a "World class Family resort" :thumbsup:

Such an original comment LOL..

Not. It's great to know here in Pattaya you lot will never be allowed to return. 555 But really if the only purchase you can get on one of the greatest Thai cities then is to reiterate cliches and think you are being witty or original then continue making crass comments from your mom's basement. WE are here ..you are not

Edited by Nout