Thai bank gives thumbs up to STV plan - "wealthy" tourists with high spending power best place to start

webfact

On 9/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Delusional. They make it sound like there is a long waiting list of wealthy tourists chomping at the bit to come to Thailand to stay for 3 months and be relieved of their cash.

Actually, the developed world has significant numbers of well off retirees, many living in retirement communities -- and they're all getting cabin fever! No more cruises available; no more package tours to Europe (or, conversely, to North America). And for those in the colder climes, no more relief from freezing your butt off by heading to a warm location. Just as an example, Florida in the winder is inundated with Canadian "snowbird" retirees, most with their golf clubs, and most staying for the winter months. But, the US border is now closed to Canadians -- and the arctic blast will soon appear. Thus, which of the reportedly covid free countries would they like to visit? North Korea? Turkmenistan? [joke]; Samoa or Palau (both warm, but crummy facilities, medical, and golf courses)? Not very enticing.  But why not Thailand -- it's got a great track record as a tourist destination, including for the five star hotel crowd. And it's tropical, excellent medical, and with great golf courses. Anyway, if I were a rich retired Canadian, used to wintering in the southern US (many in Texas, too), I'd certainly consider Thailand's new offering (And freezing rich Nordics and Russians sans golf clubs probably also a target market.)

Anyway, if this is handled properly, especially if the covid free aspect stays viable, I think this is a winner. The 14 day quarantine needs to polished -- only five star facilities, with free run of the hotel, including, of course, the pool; steak and lobster every day, tours on buses and boats, especially built to maintain the quarantine requirement, etc. Then after 14 days, free reign throughout Thailand, without fear of contracting covid (unlike back in the rest of the civilized world). Even US citizens of Florida's retirement communities might jump at this, since their cruises are cancelled, as well as their junkets to Caribbean islands. Why not checkout a new venue, one where the chance of contracting covid is much less than at home.

Anyway, just recalling my marketing instructor's lectures from years ago -- and this situation would, I'm sure, garner serious consideration, in his opinion. Makes sense to me. Just don't screw it up, Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 12:01 AM, androokery said:

Sure, but it’s MY dirty, loud, crowded, stinking city. 

Sorry, Immigration says you are just a visitor.......

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Actually, the developed world has significant numbers of well off retirees, many living in retirement communities -- and they're all getting cabin fever! No more cruises available; no more package tours to Europe (or, conversely, to North America). And for those in the colder climes, no more relief from freezing your butt off by heading to a warm location. Just as an example, Florida in the winder is inundated with Canadian "snowbird" retirees, most with their golf clubs, and most staying for the winter months. But, the US border is now closed to Canadians -- and the arctic blast will soon appear. Thus, which of the reportedly covid free countries would they like to visit? North Korea? Turkmenistan? [joke]; Samoa or Palau (both warm, but crummy facilities, medical, and golf courses)? Not very enticing.  But why not Thailand -- it's got a great track record as a tourist destination, including for the five star hotel crowd. And it's tropical, excellent medical, and with great golf courses. Anyway, if I were a rich retired Canadian, used to wintering in the southern US (many in Texas, too), I'd certainly consider Thailand's new offering (And freezing rich Nordics and Russians sans golf clubs probably also a target market.)

Anyway, if this is handled properly, especially if the covid free aspect stays viable, I think this is a winner. The 14 day quarantine needs to polished -- only five star facilities, with free run of the hotel, including, of course, the pool; steak and lobster every day, tours on buses and boats, especially built to maintain the quarantine requirement, etc. Then after 14 days, free reign throughout Thailand, without fear of contracting covid (unlike back in the rest of the civilized world). Even US citizens of Florida's retirement communities might jump at this, since their cruises are cancelled, as well as their junkets to Caribbean islands. Why not checkout a new venue, one where the chance of contracting covid is much less than at home.

Anyway, just recalling my marketing instructor's lectures from years ago -- and this situation would, I'm sure, garner serious consideration, in his opinion. Makes sense to me. Just don't screw it up, Thailand.

I don't disagree with your premise, Thailand is not a bad holiday as we can all admit.  It's the reason we all are on this forum after all.  

However, one component has to be kept in mind:  without tens of thousands of tourists coming and going every day all the five star facilities, golf courses, buses and boats will not last another year.  1,200 tourists per month ain't gonna get it done. 

I always go back to easy to get to and relatively cheap is what drives Thailand tourism.  Until both these return all else is futile.

13 minutes ago, Crisu said:

In this aticle they are writing tourist must quarantine 2 week in their home countries and NOT in Thailand.

Is this something new??

I think it was just one minister saying something for the sake of it.  No other reports of this that I'm aware of.

Edited by treetops

On 9/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, webfact said:

Where will the tourists come from? Can they really spend up to a million baht each a month as has been suggested?

Well Thailand, you have to give before you get. That's what really attracts attention doesn't matter if your rich or poor. I don't see anything being given at all to attract tourists. For example pay for 2 week quarantine and get 2 weeks free accommodation. Or half price entry to all tourist attractions and national parks. Even rich tourists need to feel good about finding a bargain when spending money.

51 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Well Thailand, you have to give before you get. That's what really attracts attention doesn't matter if your rich or poor. I don't see anything being given at all to attract tourists. For example pay for 2 week quarantine and get 2 weeks free accommodation. Or half price entry to all tourist attractions and national parks. Even rich tourists need to feel good about finding a bargain when spending money.

If the tourists don't come then the pensioners will stay here. 

It makes no difference who the money comes from as long as it comes. 

• Like 1