Koh Samui: "Unprecedented" hotel discounts for Thais and four trips for the price of one on Bangkok Airways

webfact

Koh Samui: "Unprecedented" hotel discounts for Thais and four trips for the price of one on Bangkok Airways

7pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A leading hotelier on Koh Samui said that resorts and hotels were offering unprecedented discounts to Thais in an effort to woo them to the holiday island for short breaks. 

And operators have been working with the ferry company and Bangkok Airways on special travel deals to add to the bargains. 

Rooms that were 100,000 baht to foreigners are being offered to Thais for a few thousand.

And budget prices are now the norm at two and three star places with costs slashed from thousands to hundreds of baht.

7pm2.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Senee Phuwasetthaworn, a Surat Thani business leader and executive at the Coral Cliff Beach Resort, said that the almost complete lack of foreign tourists this year had completely obliterated the accommodation business on the island. 

So they were obliged to turn to Thais and adjust their prices. 

But it was not just an adjustment. It was more like a fire sale. 

"We are lowering prices in a manner that has never been done before", he told Manager. 

He said that rooms at 5 to 7 star establishments that were anything between 10,000 and 100,000 baht are now down to 3,000 to 5,000 baht and that two or three star resorts had cut their prices from up to 10,000 baht to just 800 and 900 baht.

tft.gif

Booking can be done directly with the hotels and Thai people are encouraged to use them as a "staycation" or short term alternative to staying at home.

With this angle in mind he said that operators on the island had been working with the ferry and Bangkok Airways on special travel deals.

He said that Bangkok Airways are offering more flights as from Tuesday and that they have a special deal that buying one ticket gives the holder the right to fly FOUR times. 

This cuts the average cost of a trip to Samui from Bangkok from 8,000 baht to just 2,000 baht a time.

Senee said that he hopes such promotions continue and felt confident they would be "to the liking of Thais".

Regarding foreigners he said that he approved of the travel bubble scheme and the plans to quarantine people for 14 days on arrival. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-17

• Haha 2

This seems like a very badly worded article. I think these discounts are available to everyone, not just to Thais. It's just that the hotels are specifically targeting Thais now because of the lack of foreigners. Of course on top of these discounts Thais get the government subsidy as well that's not available to us but that's a different discussion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dart12 said:

that would be dumb to deny ANYONE the same rate if your goal is to fill rooms during this country shut-down

they have dumb down to a fine art here.....:thumbsup:

my TGF can get a discount...but I,ll be quarantined....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

The article only serves to highlight how foreigners were being gouged pre-Covid.

That is a very simplistic response .. Who made the investment to build the place ?  What was the expected return on investment ? Maybe understanding that will help to appreciate the high cost for 'normal stay'.

Now that the place is 'there' - They are trying to cover basic running costs paying salaries to staff etc .... so assuming that anyone who are in Thailand today can stay at the 'fire sale' price .. Then its noting to do with 'double pricing' or ripping of foreigners .....  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I can't see this "fire sale" on the Coral Cliff Beach Resort website. Maybe it really is only for Thais or maybe it's just a bait and switch.

nay give them some time to put it online.....try again late next month :whistling:

7 hours ago, Shuya said:

The Bangkok Airways price is 8'000 for 4 one way tickets. A return ticket is still costs 4'000 baht, hardly a "bargain". 

Free ferry crossing with Raja......:whistling:

p.s. bring your own mask and flippers :cheesy:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Big mistake. They are going to lose their core clientele when everything will be back to normal. Aman, Four Seasons, Sila Evason, ++ are doing discount nowadays but they will never advertising publicly. Just a question of image branding. 

Have you gotten a good deal at Four Seasons recently? I contacted them 3x and was never offered a realistic rate reflecting the times. They always wanted 18,000++ and I told them I'm not paying that again. 8000++ for one of their standard rooms maybe and even that is pushing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said that Bangkok Airways are offering more flights as from Tuesday and that they have a special deal that buying one ticket gives the holder the right to fly FOUR times. 

If you are offering 4 flights for the purchase of just one ticket or 75% off, your airline is in serious financial trouble either now or later when those flight tickets should be at full price

26 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Have you gotten a good deal at Four Seasons recently? I contacted them 3x and was never offered a realistic rate reflecting the times. They always wanted 18,000++ and I told them I'm not paying that again. 8000++ for one of their standard rooms maybe and even that is pushing it.

Did you stay with them previously? If the answer is no, do not expect any discount from them. That's their policy. 

3 hours ago, petermik said:

they have dumb down to a fine art here.....:thumbsup:

my TGF can get a discount...but I,ll be quarantined....

2 hours ago, petermik said:

I,m resident here...but I,m labelled a "dirty farang"  :cheesy:

I think that you are confused.

If you are a resident, you do not do quarantine (unless you leave and come back).

• Like 2

"Rooms that were 100,000 baht to foreigners are being offered to Thais for a few thousand." 

I am an Expat here on retirement extension and I have been living here for almost 30 years. Whatever I do ... sadly I will never be a Thai...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is a bargain compared to the 'normal' price pre-covid. 9.000 baht return - or more.

The devil will be in the detail. i interpret it if you buy a ticket it will entitle that ticket holder to 3 free additional flight to use later. I dont think you can just buy 4 tickets for a family at that price.

• Like 2