Koh Samui: "Unprecedented" hotel discounts for Thais and four trips for the price of one on Bangkok Airways

webfact

On 9/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, edwardandtubs said:

This seems like a very badly worded article. I think these discounts are available to everyone, not just to Thais. It's just that the hotels are specifically targeting Thais now because of the lack of foreigners. Of course on top of these discounts Thais get the government subsidy as well that's not available to us but that's a different discussion.

I was in BKK last month, and I was told by a few hotels that I couldn't get their best advertised rates (which were shown only in Thai on their FB pages) unless the room was booked by my  (Thai) wife and she stayed as well- apparently their low rates were being subsidized somewhat by the government, but for Thai guests only.

That doesn't mean the current Samui deals are the same, but the BKK deals definitely were 'Thai only'.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:10 PM, Shuya said:

The Bangkok Airways price is 8'000 for 4 one way tickets. A return ticket is still costs 4'000 baht, hardly a "bargain". 

At the Expat Travel Expo (EMQuartier) they were offering 4 one-way Samui flights for 4,800 THB (1,200 a flight).

They were also offering 4 domestic flights to anywhere for 3,800 but that was sold out before I got there (2pm on the 1st day).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

At the Expat Travel Expo (EMQuartier) they were offering 4 one-way Samui flights for 4,800 THB (1,200 a flight).

They are counting on you having to return back from Samui and that return flight has a different price.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:58 AM, Mike Teavee said:

They were also offering 4 domestic flights to anywhere for 3,800 but that was sold out before I got there (2pm on the 1st day).

I have tried getting these deals online and it directs me to the page bit I cannot complete the booking without a promotion code which it doesn`t give me ????

I wonder when was the last time any of these fat-cat "spokespeople" actually paid for accommodation? I mean, stayed at a hotel, got given the bill, looked at it to see what it came to, then put their hand in their pocket and paid for it with their own money?

QUOTE: 4-and 5-star hotels at 100,000 baht a night?
Even better - 2-and 3-star hotels at 10,000 baht a night -three hundred dollars to stay in a fleapit? Who conjures-up these ludicrous figures?

Are we talking about Thailand here? If so, it's not the same country that I've known for the last 30 years.

The Thailand in the universe I'm living in does 5-star-on-Samui for well-under $300 a night - and I always steer clear of 2-star because 3-star is eminently accessible at 600-750 baht ($20) or so a night.

What reality are these entitled spokespeople living in (and that very much includes the government think tank)? Do they really think a 3-star room costs 10,000 baht a night? Have they ever stayed in one?

Any bunch of people who can come up with the amazing STV visa most certainly aren't in the same universe as I am.

Or is it simply that they exist completely in a universe of their own?

Edited by robsamui
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, steven100 said:

Vietnam rtn ... 2,200 why the heck would I go to Koh Samui when I can enjoy Vietnam hospitality, air ticket and hotel much cheaper.   lol ....  booked already.  and may book another.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:20 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Enjoy 14 days in 'gaol' when you return. ????

i don't need. 

On 9/17/2020 at 7:28 PM, steven100 said:

i don't need. 

Speaking as one who currently has a house in Vietnam and cant get back to it - so you've already booked a flight, even though there are no incoming flights to Vietnam (and haven't been, since 23rd March) and Vietnam has no plans to open the borders again - particularly since the sudden Covid outbreak in Da Nang 6 weeks ago?

And you are so confident that you have "no need" to do any sort of quarantine when coming back into Thailand again?

You evidently know something the rest of don't.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, edwardandtubs said:

This seems like a very badly worded article. I think these discounts are available to everyone, not just to Thais. It's just that the hotels are specifically targeting Thais now because of the lack of foreigners. Of course on top of these discounts Thais get the government subsidy as well that's not available to us but that's a different discussion.

Where did you read that... sorry... I never click the links to further my education... so can you enlighten me?

• Sad 1

On 9/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, robsamui said:

QUOTE: 4-and 5-star hotels at 100,000 baht a night?
Even better - 2-and 3-star hotels at 10,000 baht a night -three hundred dollars to stay in a fleapit? Who conjures-up these ludicrous figures?

This is the best part of the article to me.  Having lived and traveled all over, and even owned a hotel in Phuket, I would love for someone to show me an actual 5 star or 4 star hotel in Thailand.  The star ratings in Thailand certainly don't compare to the rest of the world.  I mean the article even mentions 7 stars ... which I think only exists as one hotel in Dubai.  I think Thai hotels need to adjust their self ratings.

I dont know where they get their prices from in Samui years ago when I worked I eneded up paying 2000 a night for a dump in Samui I didnt have any choice I did drive around and everywhere was full High season we ended up going back to 2000 Baht a night dump, I would only go back there if I was getting paid to go there.

People say Phuket is expensive you can get some good deals if you look around my friends came from BKK the other weekend and got a 2 bed roomed apartment in a 5 star hotel with a seaview 4000 Baht for 3 nights 

31 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

This is the best part of the article to me.  Having lived and traveled all over, and even owned a hotel in Phuket, I would love for someone to show me an actual 5 star or 4 star hotel in Thailand.  The star ratings in Thailand certainly don't compare to the rest of the world.  I mean the article even mentions 7 stars ... which I think only exists as one hotel in Dubai.  I think Thai hotels need to adjust their self ratings.

The Burj al Arab, Jumeirah Beach, now you are talking 

• 2 weeks later...