Elephant shot dead, head ripped off ‘for ivory’ at Narathiwat national park

webfact

Elephant shot dead, head ripped off ‘for ivory’ at Narathiwat national park

By The Nation

800_a6e9ac16ab5cdc0.jpg?v=1600320104

Sipo Waterfall National Park officials believe a carcass of a headless elephant that was found in the park in Narathiwat was the ghastly work of ivory traders.

On September 14, park officials were notified of the appalling incident by the Ban Chue Ko village headman in Si Sakhon district and promptly went to investigate.

They found the carcass of the 15-year-old male elephant in a canal and had to drag the dead animal back up on the bank before conducting an autopsy.

A forensic team said the elephant was killed at least two weeks ago. They found evidence that it was shot dead by bullets though no bullet was found at the scene.

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation said on its official Facebook page that the elephant’s head and tail were missing, leading to the belief that the animal was killed for its tusks.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394700

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-17

• Sad 5

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation said on its official Facebook page that the elephant’s head and tail were missing

"...the elephant’s head and tail were missing..."

Judging from the OP photo, that elephant must have had two tails before it died.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

the elephant’s head and tail were missing, leading to the belief that the animal was killed for its tusks.

If they find the person or persons who did that it should be the old eye for an eye punishment.  Cut their heads and tails off too. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, hotchilli said:

What some people will do for money.... and they call themselves Buddhists.

May I remind you that Narathiwat is in the deep south and 80 percent of the population is Muslim, not Buddhist?

Might bloody well have been Muslims now innit mate?

6 hours ago, MarcelV said:

May I remind you that Narathiwat is in the deep south and 80 percent of the population is Muslim, not Buddhist?

Might bloody well have been Muslims now innit mate?

Still 20% chance it was Thai... and with those odds I know where my bet would be.