Corruption

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP did not clearly identify the reason for rejection or identify what was wrong.

I suggest he did not satisfy requirements.

It seems he has not obtained his extension. Is now on thaivisa focusing on corruption. With 6 more business days left till Friday 25. I suggest keeps eye on the ball.

No I have the extension. Because I played along rather than having to leave the country and wait for a way to get back in with all they quarantine and all that other garbage

9 minutes ago, Jlop said:

No I have the extension. Because I played along rather than having to leave the country and wait for a way to get back in with all they quarantine and all that other garbage

Did you get the phone number of this guy? Maybe he can give me a volunteer visa without me having to waste money on agency fees.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jlop said:

I had my first experience recently with an immigration officer telling me I had a problem with my visa extension request, and saying he could fix it for extra money. To me that is graft, meaning taking advantage of an official position to extract money from the public. It's not bribery because I did not offer the payment.

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

25 minutes ago, polpott said:

So you were complicit in the corrupt act and now you want to complain about it? You're either a troll or severely lacking upstairs.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The fact is you did not at any point clearly state what the issue was (I think 3 different members asked).

Just something vague that you would need to go to another office some distance away.

Nor indicate how you paid the io and how much. It's like a confusing movie.

Normally you leave the country to get a type I visa. If one did that this year it would not be possible to come back. So I used an agent in another city recommended to me by a couple of people. I got the type O from an agent in Bangkok, and they used an immigration office in the far north. When it was time to get the one-year extension, the local immigration office said you have to go back to this other office on the other side of the country. I talked to a lawyer and she said it's better just to do it locally because then you won't have to go back to that other city to do your 90 day reporting. The local immigration office said basically if you pay extra we won't make you go to the other side of the country. I don't know if it was really a problem or something they just made up to get more money.

7 minutes ago, Jlop said:

Normally you leave the country to get a type I visa. If one did that this year it would not be possible to come back. So I used an agent in another city recommended to me by a couple of people. I got the type O from an agent in Bangkok, and they used an immigration office in the far north. When it was time to get the one-year extension, the local immigration office said you have to go back to this other office on the other side of the country. I talked to a lawyer and she said it's better just to do it locally because then you won't have to go back to that other city to do your 90 day reporting. The local immigration office said basically if you pay extra we won't make you go to the other side of the country. I don't know if it was really a problem or something they just made up to get more money.

So you obtained non-o via agent. It is common that the agents use some offices north. KK is one. Also some use Pattaya.

The thing is doing the extension part yourself you were either unaware or whatever that the extension needs to be done where the non O was obtained.

You were in error.

IMO you were lucky that the io accepted payment (grease). He did you a favor. 

So yeah then complain and type on thaivisa about file a complaint about io.

Nice work. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

you were either unaware or whatever that the extension needs to be done where the non O was obtained.

Afaik this is wrong. Do you have any official source stating this?

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

IMO you were lucky that the io accepted payment (grease). He did you a favor. 

Sounds more like the IO created a problem and then demanded payment to make this problem go away. I would call this extortion.

• Like 1

Just now, jackdd said:

Sounds more like the IO created a problem and then demanded payment to make this problem go away. I would call this extortion.

Say what. He was asked by 3 different members what was the issue. Eventually answered in post #39. An agent obtained non o up north (my guess KK).

OP was not aware that he needs to attend same imm office that non o issued. Which was up north. 

The io did not create problem. 

The OP had incorrect paperwork for the office he attended. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's what I was thinking.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP was not aware that he needs to attend same imm office that non o issued.

I'm quite certain that such a rule doesn't exist. I asked you if you can provide a source which states such a rule.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The io did not create problem. 

Most likely the IO did.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jlop said:

That is neither kind nor helpful. I'm not happy about what happened, but I didn't have any good options. If I went to an agent instead they would have just ended up paying instead of me. Are you saying there's no reason to complain about a government official demanding extra money to do his job? Regardless of whether I agreed to pay it in the end?

OK so its 2. If you complain now its you that will be the biggest loser.

During a period of 50 years dealing with Immo/Bangkok, I have never been approached or pressured to bribe an Immigration officer to arrange my visa extension if I didn't have the proper documents or supporting information.

The only way to combat corruption is to stop being part of the problem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

thousands of years with corruption, and you wish to change Thailand...

Good luck....

glegolo

Commonplace the world over, more so within the cultures that deem themselves exceptional and superior.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jlop said:

If you try to report the corruption having gone ahead and paid the bribe (after, earlier, paying a bribe indirectly via an agent) you want your head examined. In the remote event that this was a rogue junior official acting without the knowledge of his superiors, there is a chance he might be punished. There is a much higher chance that you will have the book thrown at you, with the proof all there in your own words. I hope you are a troll. If not, I cannot believe your naivety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jlop said:

I know this is as common as garbage on the side of the road, but is there any government office or official that might take a complaint about this seriously? Where might I be able to complain about this to some effect?

"We'd all love to change the world " .........

who you gonna pick to make it (the world)  all better ?   If you pick someone who vows to install fairness in humanity, watch out !    The opportunities and living status that you were born into might just be distributed amongst those not so fortunate.  

follow up :  i have just received 23 pm's telling me how the writer was born in a one room shack and

had to walk a km to fetch water at 5 am.    yeah.....rrrright 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tokyoblond said:

The current complications caused by covid have led to open-season for immigration officials. Yes, it's wrong (OP), but please do not try to complain. The full wrath of the immigration money-making machine will come down upon you like a ton of bricks. I speak from personal experience, which I will not go into here. Even with your papers all in a row, kow-towing to them, they will find a way to make you jump through a multitude of extra, unnecessary hoops until they wear you down. Your choice then is to pay up or leave. I am sorry to the OP that we see the usual, petty, arrogant, self-important rubbish spouting from the ThaiVisa regulars here. THEY are part of the problem, not you.

Tough crowd here for sure.

1 hour ago, Jlop said:

That's what I was thinking.

you were registered as residing in the far north, so you need to attend that office for your extension.

why didn't you just fill out the change of address form so's you could extend at the office where you actually live?

• Thanks 2