Corruption

5 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

The lady immigration officer in room 8 Pattaya immigration is the worst! She writes 16,000 on a piece of paper and slides it across her desk! I say what is this, she says you want visa, give me 16,000 and you get visa, no bank deposit, no nothing, you pay and come back in 2 days, everything is taken care of! I slide it right back to her and she says, I make much problems for you to get visa! She then starts telling me I had to go to bangkok and get my papers notarized, then this, then that! I am leaving bye, bye glad to go!

Terrible experience, and you are not the first that met the Dragon Lady at Jomtien.

A Fixer Agent or relocating to a different province are alternatives.

PM me if you are interested in the options...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adrianb said:

I wish someone had asked me for some tea money. I woud happily pay it and not complain.

Yes, I wish an immigration officer would slide me a note for 16,000 and get me a volunteer visa. I mean, the agents must be taking 15,000 from a 55,000 baht 15 month volunteer visa and the rest of it gets kicked up to the top of the immigration hierarchy. Finding a "helpful" immigration officer would save a lot of money!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Yes, I wish an immigration officer would slide me a note for 16,000 and get me a volunteer visa.

No - would bet the district-level sign-off alone costs that, plus the money to the charity/org, plus the rest of immigration.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

I mean, the agents must be taking 15,000 from a 55,000 baht 15 month volunteer visa and the rest of it gets kicked up to the top of the immigration hierarchy. Finding a "helpful" immigration officer would save a lot of money!

In cases I have heard reported here, the agent-cost and direct-offer from immigraton were about the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

The lady immigration officer in room 8 Pattaya immigration is the worst! She writes 16,000 on a piece of paper and slides it across her desk! I

Up from 15K, and not saying to visit the agent next door any more.  For a while, she stopped taking cash directly - getting brazen, again.

• Like 1

My friend went to renew his driving licence at that hellhole of racist inefficiency AKA Pattaya Licencing Centre.  Despite doing this for nearly 20 years, a new requirement was sprung on him: a letter, obtainable from Soi 5 priced at 500 baht.  Is this the same one which used to be free and available in 20 minutes?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

My friend went to renew his driving licence at that hellhole of racist inefficiency AKA Pattaya Licencing Centre.  Despite doing this for nearly 20 years, a new requirement was sprung on him: a letter, obtainable from Soi 5 priced at 500 baht.  Is this the same one which used to be free and available in 20 minutes?

Was this letter a letter of 'Proof of Residence' from Immigration by any chance? which has always been a requirement. 

The letter is commonly free in ‘other areas’ but can take up to two weeks to receive. Or, people have reported that they can pay a fast-track fee and receive the letter instantly (no receipt of course).

• Thanks 1

People pay around a minimum of 40,000 baht a year 'council tax' in the UK - a tax to live in a certain area legal and binding

You guys chose to life in an authoritarian hierarchical country carrying the associated 'flexibility'

Is it so hard for you self professed 'affluent'  benefactors to contribute a little to the Thai economy

These complaints reek of principled, condescending, self important, guff

Get over yourselves!! and accept the fact that the imperfect world for you is as near perfect as it gets for others

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The only place I have experienced corruption as bad as that described here was in Nigeria.  A security guard at the X-Ray security check-in procedure wanted a bribe to let me take my coffee mug [empty!] in my luggage!  I used to take it everywhere with me on my foreign business trips and it was a present from my children.

In Nigerian airports now are very large signs with a freephone number and telling you if any officer asks for anything other than the required official documents to ring it and a senior officer will be with you within minutes.

Not been back recently but corruption there makes some of ours here look quite minor.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, Jlop said:

Maybe, if I was willing to travel from one end of the country to another use a different immigration office

It may not be necessary to travel all the way to the other end, presuming you are at one end already.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How much are your ‘communal fees’ in your Moobaan or Condo ?

Mine are about 30,000 per year.... I see this as something similar to council tax. 

The story of the ‘Dragon Lady’ at Pattaya immigration is horrible....  its outrageous when guys have all their paperwork in order and meet the exacting requirements. 

Some things are minor and I agree, in the Ops case the ‘graft’ perhaps made things easier for him. However there are other stories to which the response ‘Get over yourselves’ is rather apologist. 

I’d be furious if I had all my paperwork in place and the lady at the immigration desk said ‘give me 16,000 baht or I’ll make getting a visa for you difficult’.... And don’t lie, you would be furious too.

I chose to live in an area where there are no 'communal fees' well not pertinent enough for my wife to mention if there are ????

Sit in front of an IO? why would I want to do that when there numerous Thai people with more influence, better understanding of how the Thai system works, eager to assist in my quest to have a trouble free non complicated life in Thailand, and free immigration officials of the infuriating cock ups I would possibly throw into the mix. Thus being of medical benefit to both myself and they, keeping our hypertension in check.

However if I am looking to 'spice up' a mundane existence, fill in some down time, it appears a visit to immigration might be incorporated into the to do list. I could just sit and watch the action as would never profess to have the ability to handle Thai authority better than my wife, family and associates ????

• Haha 2