Abortion in Thailand ***URGENT***

John Mpt

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is pregnant and we both decide that we wanted to end the pregnancy. We both live in Bangkok but we are not Thai national. She is 16 weeks pregnant and has O Negative blood type. After searching the web for days and finding very little information on abortions here in Thailand, we knew that it was illegal but there are still abortion clinics.

We went to the Population and Community Development Association (PDA) in Sukhumvit 12 & the Planned Parenthood Association of Thailand, but unfortunately, they don't perform this procedure above 10-12 weeks of pregnancy. They directed us to other hospitals such as Chulalongkorn Hospital, Ramathibodi Hospital, or Rajavithi Hospital, which don't perform abortions because it's illegal or only performs them in case of danger for the mother or the baby. We called other private hospitals and clinics who directly told us that they don't offer these kinds of services. We finally found a center, Klongton Medical Center, where it is possible to do an abortion up to 24 weeks of pregnancy. Like I said, my girlfriend has an O Negative blood type and in case of hemorrhage during the procedure, they don't have the resources to help her, as people with this type of blood are rare in Thailand.

We went and called all the hospitals in Bangkok that could help us, but none gave us more information. We know there are some less well-known or underground abortion clinics in Bangkok. As we have made our decision, my girlfriend and I need a solution and any help, information about the process or if you know of any clinics or doctors who practice it privately, that will help us a lot and we would appreciate it. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, timendres said:

Because of her rare blood type, when my mother had a risky operation, the hospital took her own blood for a few weeks before the operation to be sure they had a blood supply available.

Oh thank you, I didn't know it was possible. But you said "a few weeks": she's 16 weeks already and they advise us to not wait any longer. 

17 minutes ago, John Mpt said:

Oh thank you, I didn't know it was possible. But you said "a few weeks": she's 16 weeks already and they advise us to not wait any longer. 

To be honest, my mom did not tell me the exact details of the blood banking. But I do know that there is a recovery time between extractions. You need to ask the doctor what is possible.

• Like 1

First of all, abortion is not illegal in Thailand if a doctor determines it is necessary for thew mother's mental or physical health.

However Most doctors will nto do it and I have not known it to be available at a government hospital except on (physical) medical grounds.

The fact that she is 16 weeks along is a huge problem. As you have already discovered, PDA cannot do it at that gestation. You can try contacting PPTA (Planned Parenthood of Thailand), they also will nto be able to do it but maybe they can provide a specific doctor referral at a private hospital.

https://ppat.or.th/en/home/

If they do, make an appointment with the doctor and discuss in person.You will nto get anywhere by phone or email.

It would be reckless in the extreme to do this at an illegal site. That is never a good idea, but at 16 weeks it is especially dangerous.

You say you are both sure you want to abort, yet for some reason delayed 16 weeks - can I ask why?

the O neg aspect will be the same problem in any hospital (blood supply here is centralized under the Thai red Cross) but then, would also be a problem with delivery.

• Like 2

There is an organization that will post medicine to you to terminate. Search online to find out if is  possible at 16 weeks.  Failing that you may need to leave to get what you desire. They are not based in Thailand.

Edited by uncleP
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, John Mpt said:

Minimum safe period in healthy people is 5 days. During the  pre and post waiting period you can take supplements for iron, folic and acid to  support replenishment of  blood.

5 hours ago, John Mpt said:

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is pregnant and we both decide that we wanted to end the pregnancy. We both live in Bangkok but we are not Thai national. She is 16 weeks pregnant and has O Negative blood type. After searching the web for days and finding very little information on abortions here in Thailand, we knew that it was illegal but there are still abortion clinics.

Hi

i don't know what nationalities you and your girlfriend are

and i know with covid travel is not easy, but have you considered

it should be a good idea to move to a country where the abortion process

is much more easy than in Thailand? For example in your country of origin

where possibly it should be legal and free of charge to do that (Vs very costly and risky in Thailand)

• Like 2

You got your answers already. 

The place to go is Klongtan Hospital/Medical Center. No better place in Thailand.  Don't waste more time.  Otherwise,  go abroad. 

About the blood,  follow the given advice. If Klongtan Hospital cannot do it maybe Petchavet Hospital across the street can help,  otherwise,  Bangkok Hospital is not far.

3 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

You got your answers already. 

The place to go is Klongtan Hospital/Medical Center. No better place in Thailand.  Don't waste more time.  Otherwise,  go abroad. 

About the blood,  follow the given advice. If Klongtan Hospital cannot do it maybe Petchavet Hospital across the street can help,  otherwise,  Bangkok Hospital is not far.

The blood situation is mot going to vary by hodpital as all hospitals are supplied by the Thai Red Cross. Blood collwctoon and supply is centralized.

Klongtan indeed may be the only place willing to do this but see if PPTA can suggest a doctor at another private hospital first. 

From what I have heard she is in for a pretty rough expetience  (in terms of pain and unsympathetic staff). Abortionat 16 weeks is quite different from in the first trimester.