Beware of stale beer.

condobrit001

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Some folk can take strong beer and others (myself) cannot...back in the UK in my local working mens club I used to drink Whitbread Light 2.8%...pals of mine Alpine Lager 5%....four pints was enough for me in an evening..4 pints/hour for my mates :unsure:

When I first came over here 14 years ago after a few small bottles I found that local women were taking advantage of my inebriated state so I cunningly devised a plan to thwart them....put ice in my beer to lower the alcohol content and keep the beer cold.....it worked :thumbsup: and that,s my excuse anyhow :clap2:

Sounds Smart as long as you still Happy with the Taste of it.  ????:licklips:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Unfortunately everything is required to have an expiration date by law and the maximum time allowed is 2 years also by law so many things that don’t expire (water) will have an expiration date 2 years from the production date.

yes, I knew it was required in many countries and of course you are right.

Unfortunately many sheeple wake in a cold sweat at night wondering if they drank some expired water.

I still think it's mainly a scam to enhance sales.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, RocketDog said:

yes, I knew it was required in many countries and of course you are right.

Unfortunately many sheeple wake in a cold sweat at night wondering if they drank some expired water.

I still think it's mainly a scam to enhance sales.

Ah! Another cunning conspiracy theory.

With a flaw, Baldrick.

But please explain how in your "opinion" an expiry date could possibly enhance sales.

On the contrary, expiry dates could mean sellers can not get rid of old stock.

On 9/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, natway09 said:

Beer or lager that we are talking about here  stored in sealed boxes not in the sun should be fine for 9 months. Deterioration is faster when exposed to light

Unfortunately that's not the reality - if Leo is 4 or 5 months old the taste realy goes off badly. Source: actual experience! ????

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

With a flaw, Baldrick.

But please explain how in your "opinion" an expiry date could possibly enhance sales.

Fairly obvious, marketing for the producer, not the stockist who gets stuck with expired stuff.

54 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

With a flaw, Baldrick.

As I stated, much otherwise good food such as macaroni is discarded. Or do you believe that goes bad in two months? Perhaps you are not aware that such expired goods are donated to food banks which give it away. Do you think that would be legal if the food were actually inedible or dangerous? 

You only see one side of the issue. 

Pretty much anything from gasoline to food to aspirin has to be replaced if one can be convinced it has 'expired'. Then they buy more without truly needing to. Producer now makes a sale he otherwise wouldn't.

The sooner manufacturers can convince people to discard products the sooner they sell more. Get it? 

By the way, do you consider small bags of cereal in large cardboard boxes a conspiracy theory too? It's just a marketing ploy but still misleading in a way as to increase sales. It's common practice so I guess one could say it's a conspiracy of manufacturers against consumers. Would you disagree? Conspiracies are groups of people/organizations acting together to deceive others. I think nonsense expiration dates qualify.

Some conspiracies are real. 

Edited by RocketDog

6 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Correct. But consumers who believe toilet paper expires will throw it away and buy more from the seller.

As I stated, much otherwise good food such as macaroni is discarded. Or do you believe that goes bad in two months? Perhaps you are not aware that such expired goods are donated to food banks which give it away. Do you think that would be legal if the food were actually inedible or dangerous? 

You only see one side of the issue. 

Pretty much anything from gasoline to food to aspirin has to be replaced if one can be convinced it has 'expired'. Then they buy more without truly needing to. Producer now makes a sale he otherwise wouldn't.

The sooner manufacturers can convince people to discard products the sooner they sell more. Get it? 

I understand what you are saying, but.....

If consumers are fooled by expiry dates, will they not be more carefull in buying products? I think the major problem is for the shops who will get stuck with expired produce.

In the end, nobody gains from rediculous sell by dates, but surely the consumer gains from well motivated expiry dates. Of course, that difference is too complicated for government bureaucrats to understand.

• Like 1

I do stick rigidly to use by date on dairy and fresh chicken (self imposed 3 days), pork and breads we freeze.  But not being a drinker of beer (had about 20 glasses in 67 years) I find it rather shocking that packaged beer can go off in such a short time! I've never had that problem with whisky.  The inverse is true...it can get better with age! 

• Like 1

Of course Thai beer is filled with all sort of preservatives. It has to stay 'fresh' in hot climates without refrigeration for a long period of time. If you drink it everyday it will have a detrimental effect on your health. As other mentioned it is better to drink whiskey instead if you are an alcoholic, who needs to drink every day.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, Susco said:

Only on TVF is the shelf life only 3 months, everywhere else it is years.

https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/does-beer-go-bad

The Average Shelf Life of Beer

Most beers last beyond the printed expiration date on the package. When stored at room temperature, you can expect beer to last for six to nine months beyond the use-by date. Refrigeration increases this time period to up to two years.

Singha has a best before date of 12 months after bottling so not sure why the whinging of a beer with a bottling date of 3 months... but hey, it's TVF after all !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I do stick rigidly to use by date on dairy and fresh chicken (self imposed 3 days), pork and breads we freeze.  But not being a drinker of beer (had about 20 glasses in 67 years) I find it rather shocking that packaged beer can go off in such a short time! I've never had that problem with whisky.  The inverse is true...it can get better with age! 

Whisky getting better after it has been bottled?

Like aged in glass bottles?

• Like 1

With due respect, what do you expect with the Thai lockdowns and bans/restrictions on the sale of alcohol! Throughout the entire Covid-19 situation here in Cambodia (and since I arrived in mid February), we have always been able to purchase alcohol at bars, restaurants, supermarkets, shops etc. etc. without "sale time" restrictions - it has been "old normal" throughout and fresh beers well within sell-by dates!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:19 AM, Susco said:

Whisky getting better after it has been bottled?

Like aged in glass bottles?

Yes whisky does age in a bottle, although this does not necessarily mean it matures in flavour.

It is called OBE or Old Bottle Effect.

1) Air enters through the top/cork/stopper and reacts with the whisky. Also leads to evaporation of the whisky which is why old bottles you see on auction sites have fill level which are lower than the original neck levels.

2) Whisky and alcohol can react with glass, especially in older bottlings when glass quality was not a pure as modern glass. (Cognac producers have known this for years).

3) Whisky being a mixture of many trace chemicals will still have slow reactions taking place for many years. This is why some whiskies are blended in vats and of left for a number of months to marry the flavours before bottling.

But to all intents and purposes one can generalise to say that once whisky is bottled it does not change flavour (except it does but over a period of many years).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

I'm looking for the expiry date on large Chang Classic beer bottle. I can't locate it, can somebody oblige where it should be found. 

Thanks...

Under white Chang on main label isproduction date

Edited by Olmate

54 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Yes whisky does age in a bottle, although this does not necessarily mean it matures in flavour.

It is called OBE or Old Bottle Effect.

1) Air enters through the top/cork/stopper and reacts with the whisky. Also leads to evaporation of the whisky which is why old bottles you see on auction sites have fill level which are lower than the original neck levels.

2) Whisky and alcohol can react with glass, especially in older bottlings when glass quality was not a pure as modern glass. (Cognac producers have known this for years).

3) Whisky being a mixture of many trace chemicals will still have slow reactions taking place for many years. This is why some whiskies are blended in vats and of left for a number of months to marry the flavours before bottling.

But to all intents and purposes one can generalise to say that once whisky is bottled it does not change flavour (except it does but over a period of many years).

With not ageing I actually meant that whisky will not get better once it is in the bottle, in contrary with a wine.

Here is a good read up on old bottle effect, and why it is different between wine and spirits.

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/ask-the-professor/16942/does-whisky-change-in-an-unopened-bottle/

https://lovingwhiskey.com/can-whiskey-age-in-the-bottle/

Why does whiskey not age in the bottle?

To understand why whiskey does not age anymore once it has entered the bottle, it is important to understand what happens when a whiskey is aged. The next section will explain this more thoroughly, but for now you should know that whiskey gets its flavor and color from the wood of the barrel. As soon as the whiskey has left the barrel and entered the glass bottle, there is nothing to interact with anymore. It is a sterile environment sealed from air and thus also prevented from oxidation.