A Nobel for Thunberg? In the age of climate change and virus, it is possible

snoop1130

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Yes for Greta.  Makes more sense than Bob Dylan.  (Yes, I know it wasn't the same prize.)

Bob had its prime time, same as Greta have now, but still not a peace price yet for her. 

We all know we have to change due to polution, but full on radical change from tomorow is not possible, but for a decade or two, we will be there. Change is coming, and someone will hurt

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Exactly, she was asked a simple question one time about her plans for the future, she didn't know what to say as she didn't have a script to read from, she answered, "I think you should ask some other people questions".  Or the time she faked a photo shoot on the train, acting like she was roughing it.  Then the real photos came out with her in first class with friends eating all kinds of <deleted> and plastic wrappers all over the table. Knows nothing about climate change, just a puppet for her parents. Actually, ruining the poor girls life.

Think you a tad juvenile in your remark. Everyone has their moment even embarrassing ones. Nevertheless she is being recognized and nominated for Noble Peace Prize for inspiring an international movement to fight climate change; matters deemed important for mankind than her personal moments.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Think you a tad juvenile in your remark. Everyone has their moment even embarrassing ones. Nevertheless she is being recognized and nominated for Noble Peace Prize for inspiring an international movement to fight climate change; matters deemed important for mankind than her personal moments.   

Well, most of her comments and public addresses are more than a tad juvenile, but then she's allowed. Got to love how one minute people are asked to treat her seriously, then out comes she's just a kid card.

Being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize is less special than it used to be. For reference, see topic about Trump being nominated. By the way, the same sort of arguments suggested by Trump supporters - to the effect that his role, purpose or agenda outweigh his style and the embarrassment generated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

Well, most of her comments and public addresses are more than a tad juvenile, but then she's allowed. Got to love how one minute people are asked to treat her seriously, then out comes she's just a kid card.

Being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize is less special than it used to be. For reference, see topic about Trump being nominated. By the way, the same sort of arguments suggested by Trump supporters - to the effect that his role, purpose or agenda outweigh his style and the embarrassment generated.

Greta is a child thought you know. Her message is serious; for some it seem. Her message resonated well to be nominated for Noble Peace Prize. The same message could have come from anyone but she stood up to be inspirational at such a young age. 

Noble Peace Prize has its fair share of critics. I have no bone in that debate. However I dare say that Trump's nomination is a disgrace for his divisive role domestically and internationally. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

I did, that's why I asked the question.

One of the most fervent Trump supporters denegrates the Nobel prize, I react with 'that's why he is practically nominating himself', and you don't understand.

Thanks for letting me know how to view your posts here.

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Greta is a child thought you know. Her message is serious; for some it seem. Her message resonated well to be nominated for Noble Peace Prize. The same message could have come from anyone but she stood up to be inspirational at such a young age. 

Noble Peace Prize has its fair share of critics. I have no bone in that debate. However I dare say that Trump's nomination is a disgrace for his divisive role domestically and internationally. 

IMO, her subject matter is serious, while 'her message' is juvenile. And 'resonated' is not necessarily a good measure of seriousness - once again, refer you to Trump. Being nominated was already addressed. You are not adding anything, but repeating the same pointless arguments.

Considering these topics alone, how is she not a divisive figure? Because you and other fans cannot abide the criticism? Again, that's reminiscent of Trump supporters' reasoning. On the same note, the personality cult commentary seems to be echoed some, as well.

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

No. Even Trump is a mouth piece for the neocons and big corporations.  

So the issue is not being a mouthpiece, so much as 'everyone does it'? Well, that's another line taken from the Trump Defense Manual. Shouldn't Greta be better than that?

10 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Anybody else out there think about climate change the same as me? 

I think there is climate change and some of the typhoons, fires, heatwaves etc are related to it, but....I just don’t give a sxxx.

There's this quote from The NeverEnding Story film (can't remember if it appears in the book itself) - "We don't even care whether or not we care".

37 minutes ago, Morch said:

IMO, her subject matter is serious, while 'her message' is juvenile. And 'resonated' is not necessarily a good measure of seriousness - once again, refer you to Trump. Being nominated was already addressed. You are not adding anything, but repeating the same pointless arguments.

Considering these topics alone, how is she not a divisive figure? Because you and other fans cannot abide the criticism? Again, that's reminiscent of Trump supporters' reasoning. On the same note, the personality cult commentary seems to be echoed some, as well.

Majority of scientists point to the seriousness of the matter. That’s what matters. Her delivery is judgemental and criticized by some. Her message resonated well and her delivery has inspirational effect on many youths. Comparing her to Trump is not a serious proposition and poor basis for argument. Stick to her message as we await the decision of the Noble Peace Prize Committee. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Majority of scientists point to the seriousness of the matter. That’s what matters. Her delivery is judgemental and criticized by some. Her message resonated well and her delivery has inspirational effect on many youths. Comparing her to Trump is not a serious proposition and poor basis for argument. Stick to her message as we await the decision of the Noble Peace Prize Committee. 

Again, I'm not debating the seriousness of the subject matter. Not a climate change denier. Simply not a fan of the kid - or of reducing discourse to juvenile commentary.

I think my points with regard to certain similarities regarding Trump are relevant. That this goes against the narrative you push notwithstanding. I am not obliged to "stick to her message" - already conveyed my view on that.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The "world" isn't politically correct Scandinavia or the nice tolerant West, the hypocritical UN pantomime or left wing media.

Where have her tours to China, India, SEA, Russia etc been reported - her lecturing and telling off of Xi, Putin and Modi? Oh, wait a minute, they aren't patronizing Western countries.

Ah, the comfort of protesting where you know its all allowed, welcomed and rewarded rather than actually challenging the massive polluters. 

Still, if Obama can get the award, for basically nothing, then why not? 

Nobel must be spinning in his grave.

Perhaps she doesn't fancy spending rest of her life in a CCP gulag. That would be prize worthy, though.

A Nobel Prize has been rendered meaningless as it has devolved into simply being a mechanism for the elite to virtue signalling.  Give the young Swedish lass a box-full of Nobels.  Me personally?  I'd give a box-full of Nobels to the Swedish Women's Beach Volleyball Team.  Much more deserving imho!!  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

Henrik Urdal, head of the Peace Research Institute Oslo, omitted Thunberg from the Nobel Peace Prize shortlist he publishes. He explained his decision to The Washington Post, saying there “isn’t scientific consensus that there is a linear relationship between climate change — or resource scarcity, more broadly — and armed conflict.”

Janne Haaland Matlary, a politics professor at the University of Oslo, agreed that Thunberg was a “wild card” nominee. The link between climate change and conflict is still “quite tenuous at this point,” she said. “Everyone sees flooding can cause conflict, migration and so on, but this is in no way well established as a security policy issue yet.”

So yeah, she deserves an award, ie plaque, for promoting environmental awareness and saving trees but she ain't worthy of the Nobel.

Edited by bluehippie
  • Like 1