3 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

I would even accept an 'electronic ankle monitor' -- still better than 14 days in a room in a hotel jail.

Hotel jail? If that is your attitude it indicates you would rebel and break the home quarantine.

• Confused 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is too easy. How much money is there for home quarantine, and how much money is there in mandated quarantine? Duh.

Because some people don't understand what quarantine means, just one of many examples: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/miami-university-student-party-covid-trnd/index.html What are they sup

M O N E Y

@geriatrickid

I do understand what you are saying, but:

How can Thailand worry so much about a manageable risk with a few non-covid-19 rule compliant foreigners when over 20,000 people die in accidents on the country's roads every year?

Schizophrenic or just money-hungry -- or both?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Re the OP's question, Thailand HAD home quarantine for Thais returning from abroad in the early going. And what started happening almost immediately, those same returning home quarantined Thais were spotted out on the town hanging out in bars and nightclubs etc., oblivious to the risk. A TH public furor erupted, and that's what happened to the idea of home quarantine here.

23 minutes ago, Nout said:

Hotel jail? If that is your attitude it indicates you would rebel and break the home quarantine.

Interesting

If I call a 14-day quasi imprisonment in a hotel room a 14-day prison, I am automatically a "rebel and break the home quarantine".

Edited by phuketcouple
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

In e.g. Germany it is rather the rule that a Covid quarantine can be spent at home. Violations will be severely sanctioned.

Germans are quite responsible in their civic duty...for example have you ever seen a German who does not recycle everything exactly as the government says it should be done ? Many societies, Thailand included have a lesser sense of civic duty.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, howerde said:

It was possible in the early days for Thais, but as usual there were the people who simply did not bother, so now everyone does, except for diplomats i think

Not only in Thailand, 2 rich somewhat arrogant Australian families ignored/attempted to twist the rules, all members eventually copped large fines. 

Further, in Australia, several cases of security guards at quarantine hotels taking quarantine 'guests' to restaurants, discos, etc., eventually caught. Plus a couple of cases of male security guards at these hotels having sex with female quarantine guests in their rooms.

All of the above generated stricter application / monitoring of compulsory 14 days quarantine.   

18 hours ago, howerde said:

It was possible in the early days for Thais, but as usual there were the people who simply did not bother, so now everyone does, except for diplomats i think

Diplomats have to quarantine also, the difference is that their quarantine can be arranged by their government reps here, subject to it meeting Thailand's requirements.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

M

O

N

E

Y

You think that the money paid for foreigners' quarantine to authorised hotels goes to the Government?  It goes to the hotels and they get a payment from the government.  State quarantine is not charged for citizens.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Some posters seem to think that the cost of foreigners' quarantine facilities (authorised hotels) goes to the government and must, therefore, think that the hotels provide free accommodation and 3 meals a day for two weeks out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2