Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Why no home quarantine in TH?


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

I would even accept an 'electronic ankle monitor' -- still better than 14 days in a room in a hotel jail.

How does an ankle monitor prevent you spreading Covid if you have it, which is the entire point of quarantine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is too easy. How much money is there for home quarantine, and how much money is there in mandated quarantine? Duh.

Because some people don't understand what quarantine means, just one of many examples: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/miami-university-student-party-covid-trnd/index.html What are they sup

M O N E Y

22 hours ago, howerde said:

It was possible in the early days for Thais, but as usual there were the people who simply did not bother, so now everyone does, except for diplomats i think

And like the health insurance for farang it is if course a nice moneyspinner for those companies.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

"Why no home quarantine in TH?"

 

Covid-19 deaths in Germany, 9,452.

Covid-19 deaths in Thailand, 58.

 

   Link's  from reputable sources . Would be much appreciated , 

    Fyi , Thailand not have ..

     However that said , welcome to the forum ..

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hansnl said:

And like the health insurance for farang it is if course a nice moneyspinner for those companies.

Then get it form an other company. Too many people not paying their bills is what is causing this. How often don't we read about people not being able to pay their hospital bills. Maybe if there were not so many irresponsible cheap  people. The rest of us would not have to buy this stuff. 

 

Plenty of OAPS have no health insurance as they think they can fly back and get it free. Especially Brits. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 7:40 PM, jackdd said:

Because some people don't understand what quarantine means, just one of many examples: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/miami-university-student-party-covid-trnd/index.html

What are they supposed to do? IQ test before being allowed into Thailand?

Quarantine at a controlled facility is more idiot proof.

 

More tests???? Covid, STD, IQ.... 555555555

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How does an ankle monitor prevent you spreading Covid if you have it, which is the entire point of quarantine.

I guess that you are not familiar with the device and, if I may note, your reply is not relevant as an ankle monitor is the equivalent of a GPS which is used to monitor your whereabouts (that is for the definition of the device but you may google it as I am not an expert nor have I had the "opportunity" to wear one ) and it does not "prevent the spreading" it doesn't allow one to get out of a certain area (which can be limited to one's room). Hence preventing the bearer from leaving their premises, which is the entire point of the quarantine in order to contain the virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
On 9/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, phuketcouple said:

I would even accept an 'electronic ankle monitor' -- still better than 14 days in a room in a hotel jail.

How does an ankle monitor prevent you spreading Covid if you have it, which is the entire point of quarantine.

Come on Barry... no one is this daft surely ?

 

 

The issue with quarantining at home is that people break quarantine and leave their home.

Ankle bracelets ‘could’ track people leaving their home = strong fines. 

Ankle bracelets ‘would’ act as a deterrent to prevent people from leaving their homes.

 

There are of course other potential holes in home quarantining... such as if anyone lives with you, you would all have to quarantine together (which I wouldn’t impose on my Wife and Son). But for many its a far better individual solution than paying for 15 days locked in a hotel room. 

 

I already quarantined myself in the UK for 2 weeks (in April) after arriving from an international flight - it wasn’t regulation, but it was common sense. 

 

I then had to stay in ASQ for 15 days upon my return to Thailand in July. It wasn’t too bad, but not great either. 

 

 

The issue with self isolation / self quarantine is selfish a-holes will always ruin it for the majority so it needs to be policed - which is extremely unfortunate. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, elliss said:
On 9/18/2020 at 1:49 PM, Hi Tea said:

"Why no home quarantine in TH?"

Covid-19 deaths in Germany, 9,452.

Covid-19 deaths in Thailand, 58.

Link's  from reputable sources . Would be much appreciated

Give or take a handful in the case of Germany...

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/de

https://covid19.who.int/region/searo/country/th

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

At these prices, the "government". with a much smaller amount going to the hotel.

Nonsense.  The hotel gets the money which is paid directly to them by the customer.  The hotels also are paid a fee by the government for providing the facilities.

Edited by Hi Tea
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hi Tea said:

Nonsense.  The hotel gets the money, they also are paid a small fee by the government for providing the facility.

and you are sure about that are you? I'm not sure who gets how much or if brown envelopes are changing hands, but there is one thing for sure, we are in Thailand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, crazykopite said:
On 9/18/2020 at 2:04 PM, Hi Tea said:

Not for the government. 

Would be interesting to know how many ministers have full or part ownership in the stipulated hotels if not them then maybe family members

It sure would.  Why not let us know how many ministers, or their families, are in the position that you suggested?  Let us know if there aren't any and that they're innocent of your suggested corruption, also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, possum1931 said:
7 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Nonsense.  The hotel gets the money, they also are paid a small fee by the government for providing the facility.

and you are sure about that are you?

Yes, I am, absolutely sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and you are sure about that are you? I'm not sure who gets how much or if brown envelopes are changing hands, but there is one thing for sure, we are in Thailand.

 

[one thing for sure, we are in Thailand] - Exactly !!!! 

 

As soon as a policy is put into place the creative minds moulded and forged by a lifetime of endemic graft and corruption very quickly find a way to weasel their way towards landing kickbacks. 

 

Within days of the Quarantine hotels being announced the complaints from hotels that the officials approving hotels for quarantine were demanding kick-backs started.

 

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/pattaya-hoteliers-complain-about-alleged-quarantine-kickbacks

 

 

Ultimately, anyone in any position of power recognises ‘kick-backs’ as their right - they have waiting inline to get to the trough, the sense of entitlement overwhelming. At the first sniff of an opportunity they are worming their way towards lining their pockets. So inherent in society is this system, not only is it the norm, it also expected. Those in positions of power not taking advantage of kick-backs are considered stupid !

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Nonsense.  The hotel gets the money which is paid directly to them by the customer.  The hotels also are paid a fee by the government for providing the facilities.

And the hotel pays the Hospital for conducting the 2X  Covid tests and for having a team of nurses on standby 24 hours a day for 14 days iwith medical transport, Anyone want to provide a estimate on what those costs would be for providing the same service to a single customer at their home

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And the hotel pays the Hospital for conducting the 2X  Covid tests and for having a team of nurses on standby 24 hours a day for 14 days iwith medical transport, Anyone want to provide a estimate on what those costs would be for providing the same service to a single customer at their home

My Quarantine hotel: 

 45,000 baht for 15 nights. 

 

Included: 

3 meals per day, outsourced to a bakery (±500 baht day = 7,500 baht total)

Airport van (±600 baht) 

2 Covid-19 Tests (5950 baht per test) 

 

Total for hotel: 25,000 baht = 1670 baht per night. 

 

+ Nurse supposedly on standby: Est ±1000 baht per day (but that cost would be across all rooms)

Edited by richard_smith237
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Quarantine hotel: 

 45,000 baht for 15 nights. 

 

Included: 

3 meals per day, outsourced to a bakery (±500 baht day = 7,500 baht total)

Airport van (±600 baht) 

2 Covid-19 Tests (5950 baht per test) 

 

Total for hotel: 25,000 baht = 1670 baht per night. 

 

+ Nurse supposedly on standby: Est ±1000 baht per day (but that cost would be across all rooms)

At the end of it all what was the total amount out of pocket to return to your life here, if you do not mind me asking.  A few of the snowbirds I know in Palm Springs, that come from Canada for 3 months a year, and also stay in Phuket for 3 months are asking if I know an approximate cost for it all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, Phillip9 said:

Actually, it was only possible for diplomats and VIPs at first,  Then some VIP didn't bother and went to a mall while infected when he was supposed to stay home.  So now everyone has to quarantine.

Not everyone.

The house next to us is being used as ASQ, but I guess the family are very VIP as there is 24 hour police protection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And the hotel pays the Hospital for conducting the 2X  Covid tests and for having a team of nurses on standby 24 hours a day for 14 days iwith medical transport,

"And the hotel pays..."

Says who? 

 

You really think that the quarantine hotels have medical teams and ambulances on standby 24/7 at the hotels?  Geez...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

"And the hotel pays..."

Says who? 

 

You really think that the quarantine hotels have medical teams and ambulances on standby 24/7 at the hotels?  Geez...

I think you will find that is what they signed up for in order to get ASQ certification and I have seen they are offering that service in their brochures

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 11:14 PM, phuketcouple said:

@geriatrickid

I do understand what you are saying, but:


How can Thailand worry so much about a manageable risk with a few non-covid-19 rule compliant foreigners when over 20,000 people die in accidents on the country's roads every year?

 

Schizophrenic or just money-hungry -- or both?
 

 

 

Neither. Confusing the two issues is irrelevant false equivalency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think you will find that is what they signed up for in order to get ASQ certification and I have seen they are offering that service in their brochures

I have seen the quarantine buses arriving at hotels here in Pattaya. Attending medical staff have full PPE and the hotel entrance areas are shrouded in plastic. There is an army/police presence too. There are at least 11 hotels here and one has two hundred people or more in quarantine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

"And the hotel pays..."

Says who? 

 

You really think that the quarantine hotels have medical teams and ambulances on standby 24/7 at the hotels?  Geez...

Such hotels are quasi medical centres and BTW they are guarded by army.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, petedk said:

Not everyone.

The house next to us is being used as ASQ, but I guess the family are very VIP as there is 24 hour police protection.

There is armed protection at all quarantine hotels.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

I think the simple answer is look how many people breached the curfew each night when it was in place. If people do that they won’t self regulate home quarantine. Simples.

Very few breached curfew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hansnl said:

And like the health insurance for farang it is if course a nice moneyspinner for those companies.

Just for foreigners of European heritage or all foreign visitors? Why do you think white people are being picked on but not Arabs or Chinese or Indian or Taiwanese regarding Insurance?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...