Where to meet up?

bermondburi

What country will open first? ????️ ????️????️   

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I'm currently stuck outside Thailand looking at all the options. Seems like Thailand isn't doing away with the 14 day quarantine anytime soon. All the countries in the region have the same thing with tourism not allowed currently apart from Cambodia I think. So where is the most likely to do away with the 14 day quarantine 1st and allow regular tourism. 

I'm currently looking further away for somewhere to meet. Dubai, Bahrain, and Cyprus are possibles, but somewhere close to Thailand would be better. 

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

aren't you supposed to always be able to get back to your home country?

I'm thinking this OP wishes to reunite with  a Thai Sig other without 14 day quarantine.    But the thai gf would still need to do 14 day  quarantine  upon her return to  TH. 

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I'm thinking this OP wishes to reunite with  a Thai Sig other without 14 day quarantine.    But the thai gf would still need to do 14 day  quarantine  upon her return to  TH. 

That's it really. I'm time limited but my wife isn't, plus she quarantines for free in Thailand. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bermondburi said:

We can all meet in the uk, but I would have to self isolate for 14 days. 

Not now, it has been lifted, but when Thailand opens it's borders, I would bet that the greedy soldiers "government" will keep the $100.000 covid insurance going, it will be some moneymaker.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not now, it has been lifted, but when Thailand opens it's borders, I would bet that the greedy soldiers "government" will keep the $100.000 covid insurance going, it will be some moneymaker.

Covid insurance is definitely a new money maker forever after this. Worldwide.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not sure what is wrong with forcing people to have insurance. Most on this forum would not be able to pay their own bills should they get the disease. What do you want the Thais to pay it for you. You are always anti banks anti insurance. However plenty of tourists don't pay their bill. I find behavior like that sickening. That is why insurance is forced because people cant be trusted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Not sure what is wrong with forcing people to have insurance. Most on this forum would not be able to pay their own bills should they get the disease. What do you want the Thais to pay it for you. You are always anti banks anti insurance. However plenty of tourists don't pay their bill. I find behavior like that sickening. That is why insurance is forced because people cant be trusted.

It is not so much the insurance I am on about, it is what it will cost, and this $100.000 scam in a country that is supposed to be almost virus free.

And while I'm here, what about all the foreigners in the UK who get free hospital treatment from the taxpayers money, it works both ways.

Yes I come over as anti banks and insurance, they are both crooks when it comes to dealing with the ordinary people, I won't bother going into any examples, it has been well documented, and not just by me.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

aren't you supposed to always be able to get back to your home country?

Australia has quotas on returning Australians. Once I am back there, I can't leave again. We're revisiting the First Fleet.

Its am insurance cartel.    The ownership of those  companies and how they wrre selected needs to be made public.  It should not just be Thailand companies with no competition.   Prior to covid I paid about 100$ for 3-4 weeks travel insurance with geo whatever. Tell me how much a month  is now in Thailand?  In a country with only two in country cases in the last 100 days covid should not add much cost. 

Edited by Elkski

43 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is not so much the insurance I am on about, it is what it will cost, and this $100.000 scam in a country that is supposed to be almost virus free.

And while I'm here, what about all the foreigners in the UK who get free hospital treatment from the taxpayers money, it works both ways.

Yes I come over as anti banks and insurance, they are both crooks when it comes to dealing with the ordinary people, I won't bother going into any examples, it has been well documented, and not just by me.

It does not work both ways, that foreigners get free treatment in the UK is something from the UK its not something in Thailand. Does not work both ways. Only simple people think that way.

As for banks your free not to use them. I can only say the banks I have dealt with (Dutch ones) are great. You either think the service is worth it or not. If not then don't use banks otherwise don't complain about them.

Its like expecting musicians to perform for free, not really fair either. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

It does not work both ways, that foreigners get free treatment in the UK is something from the UK its not something in Thailand. Does not work both ways. Only simple people think that way.

As for banks your free not to use them. I can only say the banks I have dealt with (Dutch ones) are great. You either think the service is worth it or not. If not then don't use banks otherwise don't complain about them.

Its like expecting musicians to perform for free, not really fair either. 

I cannot talk about Dutch banks, and I object to being called simple, so just cut that out, we will just agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I cannot talk about Dutch banks, and I object to being called simple, so just cut that out, we will just agree to disagree on this one.

I don't care but its just a simple view to expect the Thais to pay for your healthcare because the UK pays for foreigners. Its not a realistic or valid view. Sorry sometimes I call them how I see them.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't care but its just a simple view to expect the Thais to pay for your healthcare because the UK pays for foreigners. Its not a realistic or valid view. Sorry sometimes I call them how I see them.

The UK (is supposed to) charge foreigners for health care, however they’re sometimes not very good at following up on it.

Fun fact, a UK Expat who is no longer eligible for UK “Free” healthcare due to being out of country for > 6 months & not being in the UK to repatriate is expected to pay 1.5x the cost that a foreigner would be expected to pay... Talk about double pricing !

Both countries (UK & Thailand) will treat a foreigner in the event of an accident & then attempt to recoup the cost.

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, robblok said:

There is a big area between “expecting Thais to pay for your healthcare” and thinking that on an actuarial/underwriting basis that the premiums charged, and coverage limits expected are not commensurate with the true risk and cost of healthcare here in Thailand.

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'm in Saudi, so would still need to self isolate on arrival in the uk. 

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

There is a big area between “expecting Thais to pay for your healthcare” and thinking that on an actuarial/underwriting basis that the premiums charged, and coverage limits expected are not commensurate with the true risk and cost of healthcare here in Thailand.

Sure i can get that but that was not was meant by bringing the uk up.

I certainly can see it if premium is too much for what you get. Though because so many dont pay their bills stuff like this gets mandatory.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure i can get that but that was not was meant by bringing the uk up.

I certainly can see it if premium is too much for what you get. Though because so many dont pay their bills stuff like this gets mandatory.

I agree that people shouldn’t expect things to be the same as their own country.  I even think that those who bandy about “collecting 300 baht on arrival” are dreaming if they think that those amounts would come close to covering healthcare costs.

I do however see this as shoring up insurance companies due to the fact that risk free investments (such as government treasuries) are not providing the income that insurance companies need to stay solvent.  It’s like being caught between a rock and a hard place.

I don’t mind the mandatory aspect of it all...I just, as I said, think that the cost of healthcare here doesn’t warrant the premiums charged.  The premiums aren’t only “too much for what you get” as you state, but also “too much for what you need”.

9 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I agree that people shouldn’t expect things to be the same as their own country.  I even think that those who bandy about “collecting 300 baht on arrival” are dreaming if they think that those amounts would come close to covering healthcare costs.

I do however see this as shoring up insurance companies due to the fact that risk free investments (such as government treasuries) are not providing the income that insurance companies need to stay solvent.  It’s like being caught between a rock and a hard place.

I don’t mind the mandatory aspect of it all...I just, as I said, think that the cost of healthcare here doesn’t warrant the premiums charged.  The premiums aren’t only “too much for what you get” as you state, but also “too much for what you need”.

quite possible, but i believe you can buy outside Thailand too so then there is freedom of choice. But if its only Thai insurers and only a given few then its more of a scam.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

quite possible, but i believe you can buy outside Thailand too so then there is freedom of choice. But if its only Thai insurers and only a given few then its more of a scam.

It’s not about who I can purchase a COVID policy that concerns me.  It’s the coverage levels required by Thailand and the fact that the amount of risk doesn’t warrant US$100,000 levels.  

I guess repatriated that's get free  14 quarantine  but would a thai  who elects to travel at this time and returns in 2 weeks get free quarantine?  So your GF would  be put in a room with someone else?  What is the word on the level of accommodations  the government provides?   Is this something a sane man would inflict on his loved one?

40 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I guess repatriated that's get free  14 quarantine  but would a thai  who elects to travel at this time and returns in 2 weeks get free quarantine?  So your GF would  be put in a room with someone else?  What is the word on the level of accommodations  the government provides?   Is this something a sane man would inflict on his loved one?

Good point about people who choose to leave Thailand and then return. I have no idea about that. 

My wife would be with the kids so they'd quarantine together. 

We have a mutual friend, a Thai woman we know from Saudi who now lives in Germany who did it. She sent us pictures of the room. It looked okay actually. 

My wife is okay with the idea. She survived 6 years in Saudi so her tolerance levels are high. 

Just looking into possibilities really. There comes a point too, when looking at the cost of my quarantine in Thailand when it may be cheaper for her to travel and meet somewhere else! She's already agreed to come to saudi in March and April for the long school holiday.