BANGKOK
DogNo1

Customs Clearance Madness

I often order supplements and personal use items from the US.  Usually there is no problem with them clearing customs and being delivered to me.  Today, though, I received a notice from UPS regarding two bottles of Ocusoft Hyperchlor Eyelid Gel.  Although the PDF of the customs form looks quite complete to me, it apparently is lacking the proper title: "Mr, Ms. or Mrs."   UPS also wants the name and description of the contents in Thai and wants to pick up the original of my passport, my TM-6 and my 90-day Report in order to complete a "paperless registration." This is for two bottles of eyelid gel worth $23 each.  Single bottles have cleared customs in the past with no difficulty.  I have never been required to provide a Thai description of contents before and I don't see why my TM-6 and 90-day Report should be required to clear a package.  Amazon has collected a $60 customs fee deposit for this shipment.  It seems that customs clearance is becoming increasingly difficult.  Has anybody else had a similar experience recently?

• Haha 1

I believe the OP's concern is about the request for his passport and other documents for the customs clearance and he would like to know whether this was required of other people who had a shipment arrive via a courier service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, croftrobin said:

Because apparently, the OP is referring to an existing order that's held up. Your advice may, of course help him next time.

Meanwhile.....

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Removed an off-topic post.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I believe the OP's concern is about the request for his passport and other documents for the customs clearance and he would like to know whether this was required of other people who had a shipment arrive via a courier service.

Never required any of this. Same thing - order with pre-payment from Amazon.

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

UPS also wants the name and description of the contents in Thai and wants to pick up the original of my passport, my TM-6 and my 90-day Report in order to complete a "paperless registration."

Whatever you decide i recomand you to not give them your passport

i don't even know if it's legal from UPS to ask you something like that.

Afaik the only ones in thailand legally allowed to ask your original passport

are the immigration officers

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Since the order comes from Amazon, and they collected duty already, I would make it Amazon's problem.

The OP has voiced no concern about the assessment, if any, of import duties.

Last year when I received delivery of my Surface X, I surrendered my passport for UPS to show to customs but my TM-6 and 90-Day Report were not requested, nor was a Thai description of the package contents.  I guess that customs is assuming that Hypochlor is a medicine.  They also seem to be assuming that I am a business.  Maybe I won't be able to sort it out.  I've already written to Amazon to see if I can return the shipment.  It's ironic.  I ordered three bottles.  Two days ago I received one bottle with no problem.  The two packaged together got stopped.  I'm not going to go to too much trouble.  If it doesn't work out quickly, I will abandon the package and try to claim a refund from Amazon.

Lazada doesn't carry this particular product and it's the only one that works for my particular problem.  

I think that people have run into problems with this particular product before.  Ebay sellers won't ship it to Thailand.

• Haha 1