Customs Clearance Madness

DogNo1

I often order supplements and personal use items from the US.  Usually there is no problem with them clearing customs and being delivered to me.  Today, though, I received a notice from UPS regarding two bottles of Ocusoft Hyperchlor Eyelid Gel.  Although the PDF of the customs form looks quite complete to me, it apparently is lacking the proper title: "Mr, Ms. or Mrs."   UPS also wants the name and description of the contents in Thai and wants to pick up the original of my passport, my TM-6 and my 90-day Report in order to complete a "paperless registration." This is for two bottles of eyelid gel worth $23 each.  Single bottles have cleared customs in the past with no difficulty.  I have never been required to provide a Thai description of contents before and I don't see why my TM-6 and 90-day Report should be required to clear a package.  Amazon has collected a $60 customs fee deposit for this shipment.  It seems that customs clearance is becoming increasingly difficult.  Has anybody else had a similar experience recently?

• Haha 1

I believe the OP's concern is about the request for his passport and other documents for the customs clearance and he would like to know whether this was required of other people who had a shipment arrive via a courier service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, croftrobin said:

Because apparently, the OP is referring to an existing order that's held up. Your advice may, of course help him next time.

Meanwhile.....

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I believe the OP's concern is about the request for his passport and other documents for the customs clearance and he would like to know whether this was required of other people who had a shipment arrive via a courier service.

Never required any of this. Same thing - order with pre-payment from Amazon.

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

UPS also wants the name and description of the contents in Thai and wants to pick up the original of my passport, my TM-6 and my 90-day Report in order to complete a "paperless registration."

Whatever you decide i recomand you to not give them your passport

i don't even know if it's legal from UPS to ask you something like that.

Afaik the only ones in thailand legally allowed to ask your original passport

are the immigration officers

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Confused 1

Last year when I received delivery of my Surface X, I surrendered my passport for UPS to show to customs but my TM-6 and 90-Day Report were not requested, nor was a Thai description of the package contents.  I guess that customs is assuming that Hypochlor is a medicine.  They also seem to be assuming that I am a business.  Maybe I won't be able to sort it out.  I've already written to Amazon to see if I can return the shipment.  It's ironic.  I ordered three bottles.  Two days ago I received one bottle with no problem.  The two packaged together got stopped.  I'm not going to go to too much trouble.  If it doesn't work out quickly, I will abandon the package and try to claim a refund from Amazon.

Lazada doesn't carry this particular product and it's the only one that works for my particular problem.  

I think that people have run into problems with this particular product before.  Ebay sellers won't ship it to Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

two bottles of Ocusoft Hyperchlor Eyelid Gel

Pro-tip: Briefly massaging some mild shampoo (such as baby shampoo) into your eye lashes every time you shower is just as effective as the Ocusoft gels, washes, or wipes.

In my case, I use a cheap 2-in-1 shower gel / shampoo all over my body and hair. I briefly massage some of the foam into my closed eye lids / eye lashes as I wash my face. It is now an automatic part of my routine. I previously had blepharitis, and used the Ocusoft products for a while, but then an optician told me that this approach is just as effective.

It might not be suitable for everyone but it keeps my eyes in good condition, while being quicker, easier, and cheaper.

• Like 2

I tried the washing of my eyelashes a few years ago and it didn't work then, possibly because the skin around my eyes sags too much.  I'll try it again for a few days and see how it goes.  A friend of mine had aperture widening surgery done for free at Yokosuka Hospital because he was retired from the military and that worked out quite well.  His eyebrows were raised and the skin below his eyes tightened up.  In my case, if the skin on my eyelids becomes irritated, it's really uncomfortable and I need something like Hypochlor to soothe it.  Dust is a real problem and rinsing my eyes with water doesn't calm the irritation that it causes.

Speaking of Lazada, it carries all of the Ocusoft products except for the Hypochlor Gel so perhaps they have had their own customs problems with this product.  No doubt it is on a list at customs as a medicine.  
I had a similar problem in Japan when I started buying Lyprinol from New Zealand.  It's really just green-lipped mussel oil for arthritic symptoms but they thought it was a medicine.  I was only allowed to bring in a month's supply and paid a horrendous tax like what Thailand is trying to charge me for the Hypochlor - about 95%.

Apropos of nothing - Does anyone know where I can buy colorless isopropyl alcohol?  I use it to spray things for sanitary purposes and can't use blue-colored alcohol because it leaves a permanent stain.  My supplier down in Sathorn has gone out of business.

1 hour ago, Nout said:

If you swear at customs officials 'quite literally ' then you deserve all the problems you get. Try doing that in the UK or USA. You would be arrested.

Have done worse than cuss at a US customs officer. No cuffs, no taser, no zip ties. But I did get quite the glare and the appropriate rejection and dismissal.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, timendres said:

Have done worse than cuss at a US customs officer. No cuffs, no taser, no zip ties. But I did get quite the glare and the appropriate rejection and dismissal.

Yeah me too but in the UK, so he's wrong on both counts.

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

The OP has voiced no concern about the assessment, if any, of import duties.

And neither have I.

Amazon collect duties and commit to deliver to your doorstep.

Edited by Susco

9 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Apropos of nothing - Does anyone know where I can buy colorless isopropyl alcohol?  I use it to spray things for sanitary purposes and can't use blue-colored alcohol because it leaves a permanent stain.  My supplier down in Sathorn has gone out of business.

Lazada sells that

11 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Last year when I received delivery of my Surface X, I surrendered my passport for UPS to show to customs but my TM-6 and 90-Day Report were not requested, nor was a Thai description of the package contents.  I guess that customs is assuming that Hypochlor is a medicine.  They also seem to be assuming that I am a business.  Maybe I won't be able to sort it out.  I've already written to Amazon to see if I can return the shipment.  It's ironic.  I ordered three bottles.  Two days ago I received one bottle with no problem.  The two packaged together got stopped.  I'm not going to go to too much trouble.  If it doesn't work out quickly, I will abandon the package and try to claim a refund from Amazon.

Lazada doesn't carry this particular product and it's the only one that works for my particular problem.  

I think that people have run into problems with this particular product before.  Ebay sellers won't ship it to Thailand.

The part about them assuming you work here (and are importing this for business purposes) is something to explain to UPS. I have had this difficulty with other courtiers, they are unused to foreign clients who are not  employed and receiving something for personal use, also have never heard of retirement or marriage visa. Just tell them firmly that you are retired and do not work and that the item is a cosmetic for personal use.

As for the description in Thai they are indeed likely having trouble assigning customs code. Thai desription won't help them as the chemical names will still be in English.

Tell UPS he correct customs code is

3305 90 90

• Like 1

I ordered two lots of vitamins from Piping Rock that either aren't available here or were out of stock. One lot arrived within a week, and well over two months later I'm still waiting for the second one. DHL's tracking system is almost useless, but Piping Rock assures me the shipment is probably held up in Customs and awaiting clearance. Personally, I think it's got lost, since the DHL tracking has shown the same thing for seven or eight weeks. Surely, if Customs wanted payment to release it they'd have contacted me or the vendor by now?

6 hours ago, Susco said:

And neither have I.

Amazon collect duties and commit to deliver to your doorstep.

You are talking about duties although the OP voiced no concern about it.

You are talking about delivery to the doorstep although the OP voiced no concern about it.

The OP asked if other people were required to hand over the passport, TM.6 and 90-day report to a local UPS representative for the customs clearance. Your reply that Amazon committed to deliver to his doorstep did not answer this question.

I have just had a similar experience with Amazon (DHL). They also wanted passport, visa, TM6, and a hospital doctor's letter and certificate to use, including stamp from hospital. Doctor wanted me to have a heart check.

All for a 35 dollar device.

See my thread https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1182184-amazon-trials-and-tribulations/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-15813044

I contacted Amazon, and they said they will refund the money once  expected delivery date has passed. They seem to think it is something to do with a clampdown  due to COVID.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1