Customs Clearance Madness

DogNo1

I had the same problem 3 or 4 times when ordering from Amazon, but only when they ship with UPS. I have no evidence to corroborate this, but it feels like a UPS/customs scam, they tag on all sorts of arbitrary charges for processing, handling and even warehousing your shipment whilst they themselves delay it (DHL and other carriers were never a problem).

Since the third time they did this to me (which delayed delivery for over a month), i now use Thai named addressee when ordering from Amazon. Since i started doing this, surprise, surprise, not a single delivery has been held up by UPS/customs, in over 4 years, and on average i order from Amazon once or twice a month. I'd recommend you give this a go, good luck.

9 hours ago, DeepSea said:

I had the same problem 3 or 4 times when ordering from Amazon, but only when they ship with UPS. I have no evidence to corroborate this, but it feels like a UPS/customs scam, they tag on all sorts of arbitrary charges for processing, handling and even warehousing your shipment whilst they themselves delay it (DHL and other carriers were never a problem).

Since the third time they did this to me (which delayed delivery for over a month), i now use Thai named addressee when ordering from Amazon. Since i started doing this, surprise, surprise, not a single delivery has been held up by UPS/customs, in over 4 years, and on average i order from Amazon once or twice a month. I'd recommend you give this a go, good luck.

Yes, same problem for me but only ups. 

I had to go register them as a broker in the customs office and finally got my package. 

A series of incompetent corresponding emails and phone calls before it was settled. 

UPS in Thailand suck

On 9/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, yankee99 said:

quite normal as your items probably require a import permit. Normally ups gived 2 options the other is they clear under their name. I would ask about the other option. 

This item, if correctly categorized, does not require an import permit. It is also duty free.

On 9/18/2020 at 4:33 PM, Na Fan said:

Here's how I've dealt with the exact same situation before, and was faced with the same stupid nonsense original passport requirement that I equally would never fulfill:

- Phone up Amazon in the US

- Have them phone up their local UPS - it will be a conference call type of thing.

- State the problem to them, etc Most of the conversation should be lead by the Amazon agent.

They will then chase down the local UPS Thais and get them to be more reasonable. It worked for me.

Where/how did you find a phone number to call Amazon and reach a human??? Worth knowing...

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 2:52 PM, DogNo1 said:

Apropos of nothing - Does anyone know where I can buy colorless isopropyl alcohol?  I use it to spray things for sanitary purposes and can't use blue-colored alcohol because it leaves a permanent stain.  My supplier down in Sathorn has gone out of business.

I gave up and started using methanol, bought at the local paint store as a paint thinner.  Turned out to be a lot cheaper on a volume basis when I bought (I think) 4 liter metal cans of it.

Edited by impulse

Rohto  appears to be a product for the Japanese market.  Can't say if it's made in China but the Japanese are pretty strict about their standards for cosmetics and pharmaceuticals so chances are that it's made in Japan.  Drops for dry eyes don't solve the problem of irritated eyelids, unfortunately.

Sheryl, I'm interested in knowing if you were successful in getting your cosmetics released by customs. This afternoon, I had coffee with an American friend who is a long-time resident here.  He said that for the past several years, none of his friends have been able to get anything vaguely resembling medicine released by customs.  I expect to hear back from the UPS agent who contacted me sometime next week.  In the meantime, Amazon hasn't responded to the complaint that I filed four days ago.  I stand to lose $123 on these two half-ounce bottles of Hypochlor Gel.  Reports on this thread indicate that what is being done is a common UPS/Customs these days.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:54 AM, ukrules said:

Give it up now and forget about ever getting your package.

This has happened before, I normally tell them to quite literally 'go <deleted> themselves'.

You will never see your package. The next step will be asking for import permits for the products which you will not have nor be able to obtain.

They stole an in the ear thermometer off me earlier this year using similar methods.

I had to present my original passport to UPS and obtain import approval for a single bicycle tyre from the US as it wasn't TIS approved. I provided my passport with all attached docs and they arranged import approval and delivery to me in 48hrs. Maybe your attitude caused the issue? 

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had to present my original passport to UPS and obtain import approval for a single bicycle tyre from the US as it wasn't TIS approved. I provided my passport with all attached docs and they arranged import approval and delivery to me in 48hrs. Maybe your attitude caused the issue? 

How much have you been charged for the ''service'' in total?

I mean how much money you had to pay after you have already paid

initialy for the product and the delivery of it ?

This ''problem'' seems to be a reccuring ''problem'' with the Thai custom and UPS

so i very much doubt that the attitude of the customers is in cause 

Maybe you was just lucky

or maybe your surname wasn't ''John'' or ''Bill''?

It seems they target a specific farang ''clientele''

supposed to have more than enough money to pay an ''overcharge''

Edited by kingofthemountain

42 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

How much have you been charged for the ''service'' in total?

I mean how much money you had to pay after you have already paid

initialy for the product and the delivery of it ?

This ''problem'' seems to be a reccuring ''problem'' with the Thai custom and UPS

so i very much doubt that the attitude of the customers is in cause 

Maybe you was just lucky

or maybe your surname wasn't ''John'' or ''Bill''?

It seems they target a specific farang ''clientele''

supposed to have more than enough money to pay an ''overcharge''

A grand total of zero. 100% farang nane. As mentioned I must just be lucky I guess, multiple times. im not saying it doesn’t happen I’ve just found any issue I have had has been resolved very quickly with no extra payment required, via UPS through,  amazon especially (6 or 7 deliveries this year alone) 

• Like 1