Overstay consequences - Have they quietly relaxed the penalties??

I have just booked a Counter K appointment online. There is a link in the email confirmation to the TM7 form here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_T62i2SeCHAUwOwdQ1sSsBpeMRAKUWlN/view

I noticed that on the very last page where it says Penalties of Visa Overstay, there is no mention of fines. Is this normal? Was it mentioned in previous versions of this form?

This is what the penalties are. If I'm reading this right, there is no penalty if you overstay for up to 90 days?

I'm curious as to whether they have relaxed the overstay penalties as a soft amnesty or whether this form has always said the same thing. 

I've filled out a TM7 before but don't remember ever having to fill out this acknowledge of penalty part.

image.png.13a72989499864e6e53a4118d788a35f.png

As far as I remember, the financial penalty (500 per day, max 20.000) was never mentioned in the re-entry ban announcement. I mean, 20.000 Baht is 40 days, so for each of the mentioned bans, the fine will anyway be 20.000 no matter how long the overstay actually is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fibonaqi said:

I've filled out a TM7 before but don't remember ever having to fill out this acknowledge of penalty part.

At CW Counter L (TM.7/ext stay ret or mar) they have you hold up this signed form and take a picture of you - mask and glasses off.

As with all three extra forms, its OK to prefill/print these but wait to sign in front of the IO.

Thanks for the link.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no overstay until after September 26th since everybody is that was here on March 26th are allowed to stay until then.

The 27th would be day one of overstaying. 

I somehow anticipate at least some IO or agent trying to con someone claiming that once the 26th is passed then ALL the days will be overstay...

Or then we might never even hear about that, I guess most people would just cave in and/or be deported.

Guess it can well go both ways, totally the worst year to do an overstay ever!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, EbhB said:

I somehow anticipate at least some IO or agent trying to con someone claiming that once the 26th is passed then ALL the days will be overstay

Or then we might never even hear about that, I guess most people would just cave in and/or be deported....

How could they do that since it written in the Ministerial Notice approved on April 7th that has been extended twice.

If it got as far as being detained it would end then since those in charge are fully aware that it was nonsense.

• Like 1

No one seems to have picked up on this ????:
If the penalty starts from "overstay more than 90 days", then this is equivalent to "no penalty if you overstay for no more than 90 days."

Could this be some sort of "soft" amnesty? 
I'm asking if anyone knows if this "acknowledgement of penalty" form has changed post-COVID or whether it has always said the same thing. Does anyone know?
I'm certainly not planning on overstaying but just want to know if anything has changed with overstay penalties as suggested by the wording of this form. ????

image.png.1fafd58f22d4abbf5ba3d61f7c25490a.png

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

The penalties have not changed.

Unless arrested, up to 90 days is penalised with just a fine of 500 baht per day with a maximum of 20,000 baht. Even if not arrested, in addition to the 20,000 baht fine, you face blacklisting for a period from returning to Thailand.

If arrested on overstay, it becomes very unpleasant. The issues go beyond just fines and blacklisting.

But why isn't the fine mentioned on the "Acknowledgement of Penalties for a Visa Overstay"?

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

The penalties have not changed.

Unless arrested, up to 90 days is penalised with just a fine of 500 baht per day with a maximum of 20,000 baht. Even if not arrested, in addition to the 20,000 baht fine, you face blacklisting for a period from returning to Thailand.

If arrested on overstay, it becomes very unpleasant. The issues go beyond just fines and blacklisting.

I know several people that have overstayed by 2,3, 4 weeks and have just paid the fine, blacklisting for overstaying <90 days is not likely from my experience.

What i do agree with is that if you're arrested or in any sort of trouble while on overstay i becomes very messy!

44 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

But why isn't the fine mentioned on the "Acknowledgement of Penalties for a Visa Overstay"?

It is only to acknowledge the most serious punishments under the overstay rules that went  into effect in March of 2016.

I think maybe they though the 500 baht a day fine and 20k maximum fine is already known since is has been the same for along time. And the max fine is in the immigration act of 1979,

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is only to acknowledge the most serious punishments under the overstay rules that went  into effect in March of 2016.

I think maybe they though the 500 baht a day fine and 20k maximum fine is already known since is has been the same for along time. And the max fine is in the immigration act of 1979,

Thanks Ubonjoe that was helpful. I did look up the 1979 Act, this is the only part mentioning overstay fines just for info.

image.png.e2608185d1a78da076ff319f13719227.png

20 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

I did look up the 1979 Act, this is the only part mentioning overstay fines just for info.

I have read that many times over the years.

The dailey fines are set by the immigration commision. The last change was about 14 years ago and it was from 200 baht to 500 baht.

Not sure if my answer is relevant to your question, but: 

I left Thailand on the 20th of July this year and was under the so called 'Amnesty' with my tourist visa. At the airport, after immigration all of us are sent to a desk to get a stamp (related to this directive). The guy before me apparently had his TV expired before the amnesty started and was fined 20k at the spot. Me, and everyone else, was able to fly home without any issues. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 4:44 AM, Fibonaqi said:

This is what the penalties are. If I'm reading this right, there is no penalty if you overstay for up to 90 days?

Of course there is a penalty if you overstay... 500 baht per day up to 20,000 baht max,

however, depending on the length of the overstay changes what happens to you and who is dealing with you.

• Haha 1