Is it official this NEW TOURIST VISA ?

I was entusiastically told about this by 2 different Thais in the last few days.

It's obviously in the Thai media, being presented as some sort of savior for the country. :coffee1:

They were surprised when I told them it entails the first 14 days being locked up in quarantine and paying 60,000 baht for the pleasure. 

Dr Chakrarat Pittayawonganon, director of the Bureau of Mental Health Strategy under the Department of Disease Control, (DDC) got the part about two weeks' quarantine in the home country before flying to Thailand wrong.

We have to wait and see what the Notification of the Ministry of the Interior will say once it gets published in the Government Gazette. The Cabinet Resolution has set no deadline for the issuance of this notification.

15 minutes ago, Maestro said:

We have to wait and see what the Notification of the Ministry of the Interior will say once it gets published in the Government Gazette. The Cabinet Resolution has set no deadline for the issuance of this notification.

Am I right in thinking that the announcement about the Elite visa hasn't been gazetted yet? That one must have been made well over a month ago so I guess that's some indication of how long it takes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHicks said:

Am I right in thinking that the announcement about the Elite visa hasn't been gazetted yet? That one must have been made well over a month ago so I guess that's some indication of how long it takes.

The elite visa is another topic here, discussed in the context of repatriation, and is off topic here where the creation of a new type of tourist visa, the long-stay tourist visa, is discussed.

2 hours ago, JHicks said:

Already possible for their members to enter the Kingdom

The requirements for the flights to Thailand for certain categories of foreigners during the Covid-19 emergency situation were announced by the CAAT (Civil  Aviation Authority of Thailand) without the need for a Cabinet Resolution or a Ministerial Notification.

Therefore, let us please stop making comparisons with the proposed introduction of the new long-stay tourist visa that was approved by the cabinet earlier this week.

It has been approved by the cabinet... specific requirements and rules have not been promulgated yet. 

As a Non-Immigrant O (Thai wife) holder and just having gone through the process of returning this month... I will speculate what the requirements may be. I suspect the requirements will be similar...

To be eligible for your initial entry 90 day visa, first you will have to reside in a country "that has been able to control the Covid-19 outbreak". Those countries have not been announced yet as far as I know. Next your VISA will be tied to a confirmation of an ASQ hotel for 14 day quarantine, a confirmation of Covid19 health insurance policy, a confirmation of place of stay/residence post quarantine, a confirmation of fit to fly certification and confirmation of a negative covid19 swab test. It will be very interesting to see which countries get excluded and which are allowed. And last but not least this just in... "Thapanee Kiatphaibool said that the tourists would have to travel on chartered flights from overseas directly to their destinations in Thailand. The cost and infrequent nature of these flights would add a further barrier to the success of the visa." That was from an article in TheThaiger That last bit is interesting... flights may be an expensive issue. ASQ hotels were also in limited supply and expensive... but there are increasing now at 70 on their list. 

The list of the "types of persons who are permitted to enter Thailand, and all the required documents" is published by the CAAT (Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand) without the need of a Cabinet Resolution or a Ministerial Notification published in the Royal Gazette.

This web page has a link to the list "as of 4 July 2020" and the CAAT will obviously have to issue an updated list once the new type of holders of the long-term tourist visa starts to exist, ie after the publication of the Notification of the Ministry of Interior and the implementation by the Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The CAAT will probably consider the holders of the new long-term tourist visa covered by No. 7 of the list of the types of persons who are permitted to enter Thailand, which means any foreigner who gets the required CoE (Certificate of Entry) and other required documents listed by the Thai embassy or consulate where the application for this visa is made. Therefore, no need to look out for a new CAAT announcement, only for the Ministerial Notification in the Government Gazette and subsequently for the information published on the website of the Thai embassies and consulates. I am not sure which ministry will issue the notification, the Ministry of the Interior or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Extract from https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/51895 (highlighting in bold is mine)

3. The entry into Thailand of the persons of any of the following types, by aircraft, shall be permitted, provided that they comply with the conditions, time limits and rules of the authorized persons under the Thai immigration law, communicable diseases law, air navigation law, and the Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situation, for the prevention of the spread of disease and the organization of the number of persons entering Thailand in accordance with the capability of the competent officers or the communicable disease control officers for the screening and arrangement of facilities for isolation, quarantine and control for observation :

(1) Thai nationals

(2) Persons with exemption or persons being considered, permitted or invited by the Prime Minister, or the head of responsible persons accountable for resolving state of emergency issues to enter the Kingdom, pertaining to necessity. Such consideration, permission or invitation may be subject to specified conditions and time limits.

(3) Persons on diplomatic or consular missions or under International organizations, or representatives of foreign government performing their duties in the Kingdom, or persons of other international agencies as permitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs pertaining to necessity, including their spouse, parents, or children.

(4) Carriers of necessary goods, subject to immediate return after completion.

(5) Crew members who are required to travel into the Kingdom on a mission, and have a specified date and time for return

(6) Non-Thai nationals who are a spouse, parents, or children of a Thai national.

(7) Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of permanent residency in the Kingdom, or permission to take up residence in the Kingdom

(8) Non-Thai nationals who have work permit or have been granted permission from government agencies to work in the Kingdom, including their spouse or children.

(9) Non-Thai nationals who are students of educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students, except for students of non-formal educational institutions under the law on Private schools and  of other similar private educational institutions

(10) NonThai nationals who are in need of medical treatment in Thailand, and their attendantsHowever, this shall not include medical treatment for COVID19

(11) NonThai nationals who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement with a foreign country

6 minutes ago, Maestro said:

which means any foreigner who gets the required CoE (Certificate of Entry) and other required documents listed by the Thai embassy or consulate where the application for this visa is made.

That's it. And as I posted it seems reasonable to speculate the requirements will be very similar to what is being required right now for COE. 

The Police Order regarding extension of stay will need to be updated because it currently allows only "no more than 30 days" for the reason of tourism.

The Immigration Act, on the other hand, needs no change because section 35 already allows permission of stay of "Not exceeding ninety days" for tourist visas. Immigration will have to adapt its procedures to accommodate the new long-stay tourist visa.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Dated when? 

I read what the cabinet approved in principle and this certainly not in it.

"They must also have quarantined in their country of origin and have health insurancefor international travel and a specified minimum amount of money in their bank account as well as a record of not visiting crowded places prior to their departure."

It comes directly from the Bangkok Post 19 Sep 2020 at 12:49 by Gary Boyle.

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, TimLMT said:

any speculation on the US being on that list?

I'm hearing from insiders that certain countries and cities (think certain Asian cities and many Chinese cities) that are covid free for more than 60 days will be first on the list. This requirement I don't think precludes any countries... but certainly the vicinity Asian countries will get priority if they meet that requirement. At least to start with. The VISA is only being granted until the end of September 2021.

Edited by Tounge Thaied
spelling and content

11 hours ago, TimLMT said:

any speculation on the US being on that list?

I'd say that's impossible because the requirement is to arrive on chartered flights (operated by TG?) so that would make it impossible for anyone originating from the U.S. to fly to Thailand. TG doesn't fly to LAX anymore for several years now and has lost their certificate for that route. Thailand has also lost the FAA Cat 1 Safety rating impacting the filing for new routes.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, Maestro said:

Dr Chakrarat Pittayawonganon, director of the Bureau of Mental Health Strategy under the Department of Disease Control, (DDC) got the part about two weeks' quarantine in the home country before flying to Thailand wrong...

UPDATE

A suggestion or proposal for a 14-day quarantine in the home country does seem to have brought into the discussion by somebody at Thailand's Ministry of Public Health. Excerpt from an article in a Chinese publication:

The Thai government first claimed that foreign tourists need to undergo a 14-day quarantine locally before starting their travel, with limited tourists' options. Then, on Friday, the Thai Ministry of Public Health unveiled its latest arrangement for visitors from abroad, who are required to have quarantined in their home country and provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours prior to travel.

Source: https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1201476.shtml

I have seen no reports how this discussion proceeded and it remains to be seen whether it will be included in the implementation of the new Special Tourist Visa (STV). We shall know once the apposite Ministerial regulation gets published.