Pattaya: China's state news agency calls resort deserted and Thais have no money

webfact

The Chinese have lost a fortune in property in Pattaya due to the Coronaflu. There are loads of Chinese owned apartments in my Condo building, which Chinese people bought using loans and then rented on AirBNB, and the like.

The banks who loaned the money must be nervous.

It is hard to see how Pattaya can bounce back with so much capital vaporised. Who will visit with loads of malls, hotels, businesses, out of business? If the market is much smaller in the future, how do people get around a lot of the city looking like a ghost town? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I lived alone that long Thai women thought I was gay

LOL, I actually never wonder about that, as I think some lady-friends are aware that I have the occasional female visitor to my apt and go for massages from time to time!

I have also met a few Thai women who tell me, "better alone"! 

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nemo38 said:

The Chinese have lost a fortune in property in Pattaya due to the Coronaflu. There are loads of Chinese owned apartments in my Condo building, which Chinese people bought using loans and then rented on AirBNB, and the like.

The banks who loaned the money must be nervous.

It is hard to see how Pattaya can bounce back with so much capital vaporised. Who will visit with loads of malls, hotels, businesses, out of business? If the market is much smaller in the future, how do people get around a lot of the city looking like a ghost town? 

Most were on cheap 12 month leases, and the Chinese would then sub-lease daily rent them on AirBnb and the Chinese equivalent.  They would then keep the difference, after paying a Thai cleaner upon every check out.    

As with a similar thread on this forum for a hotel, when Covid hit, and Chinese tourism stopped, the Chinese tenant simply stopped paying rent. 

In most cases, the Chinese lease holder isn't even in Thailand.      

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Ever heard of office staff?

What are you talking about?   You are making no argument whatsoever. The middle class was losing out before corona.    Is there a middle class comparable to China or Vietnam?   Is Thailand as self sufficient as Vietnam, China or Malaysia.  You speak a lot of languages.   Learn to argue in one.  

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

What are you talking about?   You are making no argument whatsoever. The middle class was losing out before corona.    Is there a middle class comparable to China or Vietnam?   Is Thailand as self sufficient as Vietnam, China or Malaysia.  You speak a lot of languages.   Learn to argue in one.  

Vietnam is a lot poorer than Thailand. What is your argument, you ask questions. There are a lot more people in the middle class than 20 years ago, people living in decent housing and a decent car.

Edited by FritsSikkink

46 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Vietnam is a lot poorer than Thailand.

It takes decades to rebuild from a war. 

Germany and Japan were flattened during WW2. now look at them, they world leaders with huge economies. 

Vietnam has one of the fastest growing economy in the world.  I have no doubt Vietnam will overtake Thailand in the future, unless Thailand implements reforms.

From my several trips to Vietnam, looking at their tourists destinations and tourism industry, you would think Vietnam is richer than Thailand.     

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

It takes decades to rebuild from a war. 

Germany and Japan were flattened during WW2. now look at them, they world leaders with huge economies. 

Vietnam has one of the fastest growing economy in the world.  I have no doubt Vietnam will overtake Thailand in the future, unless Thailand implements reforms.

From my several trips to Vietnam, looking at their tourists destinations and tourism industry, you would think Vietnam is richer than Thailand.     

You might think but it isn't.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, robert888d said:

Pattaya is finished and done. Tourists will not come back even if and when the Corona virus is over and gone. So many officials have made it clear they just don't like foreigners. One thing I don't understand is if the Thais are all so poor, how is it that there are so many bloody cars everywhere ???

they are all on credit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

You might think not, but I have seen it is, and happening very fast.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate

Vietnam 7.0  Thailand 2.4

Vietnam GDP is   8,677     + 7%     = + 607

Thailand GDP is 21,361     + 2.4 % = + 512

It will take a very long time to catch up.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:05 AM, OnTheRun said:

Of course China bashing is totally unwarranted isn't it? Even without knowing the true origin of the Covid pandemic, I and countless millions of others are a tad pi55ed off. The systematic cover up, the disappearing of scientists trying to reveal the true potential of the said virus and the pressure applied to the WHO to tag along with the lies they were spouting, all to save face for the CCP, is enough in my book to justify a little bit of China bashing.

For me?  It's enough to nuke 'em!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

You might think not, but I have seen it is, and happening very fast.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate

Vietnam 7.0  Thailand 2.4

Yeah, #1 in that list is South Sudan..... easier to have a high percentage of growth when starting from low numbers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

A first for Xinhua: the truth. Pattaya is a grim reminder of how quickly things can change. I have never seen so many desperate people.

In Pattaya? Not many people left, most gone upcountry. Mostly residents now and they seem ok-ish. Darkside is as usual.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, supersomchai said:

Please for the sake of balance give us some examples of good chinese policies that contribute to the greater good Of humanity?

OMG - I have no intention to try and counter all the "China-bad" rants that are popular in the US of A, or to disprove all the cr@p that's being spread for political reasons (America needs to be #1, and the redhead is going to keep it that way). But start reading here, while the number of homeless in the US is skyrocketing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_China

If you still have the nerve after that (you can read, right?), do a bit of googling on the approval of governments by their countries' people. And last but not least, take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism - I don't know about you, but if that was in regard with my country, I'd be a tad worried. Not about China, mind you.

Edited by AsiaCheese

On 9/18/2020 at 10:24 AM, steven100 said:

RIP Pattaya ....  sadly,  your days are numbered.

Absurd! Pattaya is going nowhere. Even without a single International tourist, it will survive, just like 100's of other Thai cities. It would look a bit different and perhaps better. Apart from that, the expat community in Pattaya will survive, and in fact life is better for expats now than it ever has been.

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Apart from that, the expat community in Pattaya will survive, and in fact life is better for expats now than it ever has been.

I wouldn't go that far, yes, it is far better now that the Chinese hordes are gone, traffic is bearable, but it was much better a decade ago when it wasn't completely overbuilt. I agree expats will survive, the Pattaya variety is hardy.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I wouldn't go that far, yes, it is far better now that the Chinese hordes are gone, traffic is bearable, but it was much better a decade ago when it wasn't completely overbuilt. I agree expats will survive, the Pattaya variety is hardy.

You should go to the Pattaya Expats Club... hardy would not be the word.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Vietnam GDP is   8,677     + 7%     = + 607

Thailand GDP is 21,361     + 2.4 % = + 512

It will take a very long time to catch up.

It did say it would take time, but Vietnam is progressing very quickly.

Tourism, on the other hand, will catch Thailand up very quickly, and over take.  Pre Covid, up 32% from the same time the previous year.  

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international?txtkey=&year=2020&period=t1

"International visitors to Viet Nam in 1/2020 estimated 1.994.125 arrivals, increase 16,6% over 12/2019 and up 32,8% over the same period last year. 2019. Total international arrivals in 1 months reached 1.994.125 arrivals, increasing 32,8% over the same period last year."