Repercussions of Mass Tourism in Thailand.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should be shown to all tourists that are thinking of coming to Thailand.   My first and only visit to Phuket was nearly 30 years ago. My Buddha I cant believe how bad it's got. Money No

After watching this documentary on Thailand tourism (link attached), it made me think that maybe the Corona virus is a God send to help Thailands beaches, coral reefs, and surrounding oceans for the f

TAT and all the others who opened the doors wide to the Chinese are to blame. Was all good before the invasion started about 6 years ago...

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

We did think the same way after the Tsunami, but............you know the result other ways you would not have started this topic.

Sorry for people who die and suffer from this virus and it could happen to me at my age, however, sometimes good comes from bad, so to speak, my point of view.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Ultimately, money concerns and/or greed will override any concerns people might have over the environment

True and I have just watched the David Attenborough documentary called, "Extinction" and this proves your point, and is a bit of an eye-opener and alarming, but will anything be done...............not whilst money, profits and large companies look to expand their balance sheets.

And I'm sorely afraid that there is no way out of it now – – watch the video as it can be found on various sites. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Money is not the problem in itself, but how they try to collect it.

As opposed to, say, the Maldives or Bhutan, Thai authorities don't understand that it is preferable to have 10 tourists spending $ 100 each per day, rather than 100 tourists spending $ 10 dollars per day.

On top of that, Thailand doesn't have what is requested for mass tourism, in terms of population training, environmental protection, and respect of the laws...assuming they exist...

France receives more tourists than Thailand, and is not devastated.

Small Las Vegas receives as many tourists as Thailand, and is as clean as Singapore, which also receives its fair share of tourists.

Thailand authorities should follow the example of Duterte (of all people) in the Philippines, and close its most damaged sites (most of the South) to tourism for an extended period of time.

It should also limit yearly arrivals to something around 12 million tourists, or 1 million per month...but not as little as 1,200 which is more appropriate for the Vatican...

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

True and I have just watched the David Attenborough documentary called, "Extinction" and this proves your point, and is a bit of an eye-opener and alarming, but will anything be done...............not whilst money, profits and large companies look to expand their balance sheets.

And I'm sorely afraid that there is no way out of it now – – watch the video as it can be found on various sites. 

Maybe there is some way out. Buddha has come up with this Rat Flue 19, that's seems so far to have put the cat amongst the pigeons. I don't want to see people suffer with this illness. But if in some small way it buggers the tourists so be it.    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Did you look at the video??? If you did you would see for yourself. I can remember when I went, I walked along Patong beach and we were the only people on it. Looked into rock pools with its amazing life forms in them. 90% of the roads were only drivable with a 4X4. Now Phuket is just a concrete jungle, with hoards of people/hotels. Stunning Cristal clear seas then. Now grubby where they have pumped raw sewage into it. We did do the J/Bond island and there were about 6 of us on the whole place. Also Pi Pi that was like wise. Little or no shops/restaurants just wonderful Clean sand. Suggest you don't ask stupid questions. Go look for yourself. I know it's not easy to go back many years, just look at old snaps of how it was before the place got Buggered. It might enlighten you.

Well said in answer to a really idiotic question.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PaoloR said:

If you have only visited once, long ago, how do you know how bad it's got?

If you are unable to come up with a more sensible question than this I suggest you find something else to do rather than wasting time and space here.