Krabi: Only TWO hotels are prepared to accept foreign tourists

webfact

7 hours ago, Changoverandout said:

I’d booked in Ao Nang for Xmas but maybe I’ll cancel if that’s the local attitude.

In the 2 visit,s I,ve made since July the local people/businesses are really suffering the place is a ghost town hardly any shops/restaurants in the "touristy" area are open and comments like this will hardly help...I,ll see if the situation has improved next week from last month.

• Like 2

The reality is that hotels in most locations will see very few, if any, of the supposed 1,200/month tourists under this STV scheme. By setting themselves up to receive tourists that will likely never use their hotels it will likely put off any local tourists that might have been interested in staying there.

Case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

well ..... with the hotels attitude I would cancel also. They made their bed ..... 

hardly....850 baht/night inc bfst/taxes in a 4+ Hotel  plus an allowance of 900 baht/day for meals....we have a property just a couple of hours away and visit 4/5 times a year....always been made welcome even just lately :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The local TAT representative said that only two hotels in Krabi are ready and prepared to accept foreigners. 

There's a group of about twelve Thais and three (expat) ferangs driving down from Udon to Nakhon Si Thammarat in November on a merit-making trip for someone who died recently.

We were talking about stopping off in Krabi, but it looks like that's off the menu now. Their loss.

It's about 1,300km each way. Reading this makes me wonder if we'll find anywhere to stay on the way?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There's a group of about twelve Thais and three (expat) ferangs driving down from Udon to Nakhon Si Thammarat in November on a merit-making trip for someone who died recently.

We were talking about stopping off in Krabi, but it looks like that's off the menu now. Their loss.

It's about 1,300km each way. Reading this makes me wonder if we'll find anywhere to stay on the way?

Can you speak Mandarin?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

exactly,  they couldn't care less.  Just goes to show their sad and pitiful attitude. 

So because they don't want you and your ilk they are 'sad and pitiful'?..Get over yourself. You and your money are not important to many Thais. A great independent and sensible viewpoint. Good on them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

There concern is for foreign tourists arriving from Covid infected countries. Most Thais understand that foreigners here now are either residents or have been stuck here since the beginning of the lock down. I traveled south last month staying in a number of hotels and guest houses and had no problems. In fact most Thai places were pleased to see me.

2 hours ago, petermik said:

In the 2 visit,s I,ve made since July the local people/businesses are really suffering the place is a ghost town hardly any shops/restaurants in the "touristy" area are open and comments like this will hardly help...I,ll see if the situation has improved next week from last month.

This forum is not famous for positive comments about Thai people or Thailand in general. Good luck with your trip. Here in Pattaya some places are thriving albeit at weekends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scammed said:

that is amazing, i spose they got all the money they ever wanted

Perhaps they are content with what they have and despite the constant iterations by members of this forum about ripp offs and Thai greed it is not the case in reality. This story indicates the real priorities of many Thais. Of course this shocks and confuses many entitled foreigners who think access to Thailand is their God given right. Clearly it is not.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

well ..... with the hotels attitude I would cancel also. They made their bed ..... 

Have you actually got a booking to cancel? No? I thought not. Are you likely to be in Thailand in the near future? LOL

2 hours ago, petermik said:

hardly....850 baht/night inc bfst/taxes in a 4+ Hotel  plus an allowance of 900 baht/day for meals....we have a property just a couple of hours away and visit 4/5 times a year....always been made welcome even just lately :thumbsup:

You are here and thus speak with knowledge and experience. The naysayers are confused Thai bashers and haters who do not want success for Thailand and who dont like people like me and you enjoying ourselves here. Its so funny to read all these ill informed negative comments from people squirming in envy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Phuket's willingness to accept foreign tourists (without quarantine even) has decimated Phuket's domestic tourism. Krabi would rather accept many thousands of local guests than a handful of foreign guests who might not want to stay at their hotels anyway in the end. 1200 tourists spread over large area of the country basically would mean close to 0 income for them.

I think what they've done is fully reasonable. I'd feel much safer in Krabi than in say Phuket.

Hardly surprising when a Government Minister spouts about dirty farangs. People who retire here are supporting Thai families and the smaller Thai shops and restaurants. I hardly ever go to these mafia controlled places. Maybe because farangs complain about the rip offs they aren't welcome. 

Edited by JusticeGB
Typo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

Hardly surprising when a Government Minister spouts about dirty farangs. People who retire here are supporting Thai families and the smaller Thai shops and restaurants. I hardly ever go to these mafia controlled places. Maybe because farangs complain about the rip offs they aren't welcome. 

Maybe the report does not reflect the attitude of many of the hotels there.  Perhaps the reporters wrote what they thought their masters wanted to read ...