PWO's Bt112-bn glove deal being probed for alleged corruption

webfact

By The Nation

800_51cb7c10c59a845.jpg?v=1600401050

A Bt112-billion deal for surgical gloves between the Public Warehouse Organisation (PWO) and a private company set up only two months ago, is being investigated for corruption.

Kriangsak Prateepvisut, who was appointed the new director of PWO on September 1, has examined the documents and found that the organisation had heavily invested in the rubber gloves while the administration was invited to clarify the situation.

Pol Colonel Roongroj Phuthiyawat, the director of the PWO's central administrative office, was transferred to the Office of Prime Minister after facing an embezzlement allegation.

The PWO reportedly closed the deal with Guardian Gloves Ltd on August 13 and the contract showed the name of Pol Colonel Roongroj Phuthiyawat as buyer.

The contract to buy 500 packs of nitro gloves at a total cost of Bt112.5 billion was a free on board deal, which would be ordered periodically for two years.

It also stated that the buyer had to pay a Bt2-billion advance to the seller within three days of the signing and the rest would be paid after the products were delivered.

The seller also had to provide a guarantee of Bt200 million within seven days of the contract signing, and the deal could be revoked if they did not follow the contract.

Both the buyer and the seller acknowledged the contract and agreed to sign their names.

The PWO board, however, cancelled the deal on Thursday saying that Roongroj had no authority to approve the deal as he was only acting PWO director in August and hence could not seal a deal valued at more than Bt50 million and therefore, the order was unlawful.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394751

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-18

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

It seems the biggest pandemic in Thailand isn't any virus, it's corruption, starting right at the very top.

But Pol Colonel Roongroj Phuthiyawat was nowhere near "the very top".

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, webfact said:

If these numbers are correct, this is absolutely nuts.

Someone got way ahead of themselves in how much they thought they could take. Wonder why they thought they could get away with this?

1 minute ago, Forza2002 said:

The reporter on this story has obviously got his facts incorrect. If to be believed the 500 packs of gloves would be $3.6 billion, 1 pack $7.2 millions... Telephone numbers...

That's what I thought, but Bkk Post numbers are the same. 

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:
1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

But Pol Colonel Roongroj Phuthiyawat was nowhere near "the very top".

I never said he was.

You did post this, "It seems the biggest pandemic in Thailand isn't any virus, it's corruption, starting right at the very top", on a thread about corruption in the rubber gloves case.  

That sure looks like you were suggesting that the Pol Col referred to in the OP (who has been shunted from his position for authorising a deal that he was not in a position to sign) was near "the very top".

• Sad 2

59 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

The Bkk Post refers to the figure '112.5 billion'. Which is what I was referring to. 

No, the quote in your post also had 500 packs, rather than the 500 million in the BP article. To which you stated 'but Bkk Post numbers are the same' i.e. all the numbers, not just one of the numbers. 

Clearly not.:biggrin:

1 minute ago, dabhand said:

No, the quote in your post also had 500 packs, rather than the 500 million in the BP article. To which you stated 'but Bkk Post numbers are the same' i.e. all the numbers, not just one of the numbers. 

Clearly not.:biggrin:

Oh, you're looking for an argument.

Well, that isn't what I meant. I was referring to the total sum which was 12.5 billion baht. A number which is the same as the Bkk Post. But you're welcome to believe that I really thought that 500 boxes of gloves were bought for this price. 

Thai/English news reporting and numbers.

A total joke everyday.

One thing easy seen from multiple articles in Thai:

500 million boxes of gloves.

112.5 billion Baht (112'500'000'000 Baht).

-> 225 Baht/box.

If only I knew what such a box cost at Makro :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A Bt112-billion deal for surgical gloves between the Public Warehouse Organisation (PWO) and a private company set up only two months ago, is being investigated for corruption.

Where there's money there's always a stench of corruption.... 

Prayut promised to stamp it out ?

On 9/18/2020 at 11:15 AM, webfact said:

The PWO board, however, cancelled the deal on Thursday saying that Roongroj had no authority to approve the deal

I'm guessing they were shocked, because the deal was fair and there was no pay off to them. ????

23 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

The reporter on this story has obviously got his facts incorrect.

Nothing new about that.