(Online) Broker for SET investment

Hi everyone,

I am looking for recent information on (online) stock brokers to buy & hold (less trade) equity, debt and options on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

Primarily looking for input from those of you who do so already: which broker are you using, any local broker or your overseas broker (eg. Interactive Trader,...)?

Thanks and best regards,

Fabruer

On 9/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, fabruer said:

Thanks Razz, would appreciate an update after, if convenient.

Called and basically you can go to any of these branches - there is a lot of form filling (One email said 2 copies - another one said three? So I would print up a few and go in person):

https://www.bualuang.co.th/contactus

https://knowledge.bualuang.co.th/knowledge-base/foreigninvestor/

Dear Client,

Attached please kindly find application for opening a securities  trading account (New Client).

After you filled in these forms, you need to prepare the required documents 

1. 2 Copies of Passport (and Admitted Visa – If any) 
2. 2 Copies of Work Permit (If any) 
3. 2 Copies of Bank Passbook’s Front Page 

* Please sign for initial on each page

and send them to: Bualuang Securities Co. Ltd.
1-7 Zuellig House, Unit 1A, 4th Floor, Silom Rd., Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

or you can apply an application at Bualuang securities branches (you can find the securities branches here: https://www.bualuang.co.th/contactus)

After we received your the application form including attached document, they will be checked about a week.

If the process of opening account is finished, we will send you a username (account number), a password & funds transfer method to your email, for logging in to www.bualuang.co.th and trading in Streaming programs. 

We are looking forward to your application form. If you have any questions or more information, please contact 02-618-1111.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RAZZELL said:

Called and basically you can go to any of these branches - there is a lot of form filling (One email said 2 copies - another one said three? So I would print up a few and go in person):

https://www.bualuang.co.th/contactus

https://knowledge.bualuang.co.th/knowledge-base/foreigninvestor/

Dear Client,

Attached please kindly find application for opening a securities  trading account (New Client).

After you filled in these forms, you need to prepare the required documents 

1. 2 Copies of Passport (and Admitted Visa – If any) 
2. 2 Copies of Work Permit (If any) 
3. 2 Copies of Bank Passbook’s Front Page 

* Please sign for initial on each page

and send them to: Bualuang Securities Co. Ltd.
1-7 Zuellig House, Unit 1A, 4th Floor, Silom Rd., Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

or you can apply an application at Bualuang securities branches (you can find the securities branches here: https://www.bualuang.co.th/contactus)

After we received your the application form including attached document, they will be checked about a week.

If the process of opening account is finished, we will send you a username (account number), a password & funds transfer method to your email, for logging in to www.bualuang.co.th and trading in Streaming programs. 

We are looking forward to your application form. If you have any questions or more information, please contact 02-618-1111.

RAZZ

Thank you Razz, appreciate you sharing this!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, fabruer said:

Thank you Razz, appreciate you sharing this!

Right to finish off.

Mrs and I were in Promenade in Ramintra as she was getting her hair done :whistling: so afterwards we popped next door into Fashion Island.

Downstairs in the basement is a Bangkok Bank. Went in and asked about opening a trading account.

They took me down a corridor opposite (the area is being refurbished) and entered a medium sized office with a few people behind desks and some (customers?) who seemed to be doing a course/trading (?).

(On the way in we walked past a Kim Maybank Eng sign so maybe they have an office there as well?)

Filled one form out and signed copies of my passport, yellow book and pink ID card.

Form was basic stuff, name, age, address, income, occupation, source of funds and questions to judge your investing/risk profile etc etc. (Don't think they are that bothered about most of it!)

The female employee (who spoke ok English) said I will get an email with confirmation, account number, password etc in 3-4 days and then I can deposit funds and trade on the SET etc. 

I will then be able to fill in the additional forms for trading on the Hong Kong, Vietnam and US exchanges. (Not sure if I have to deposit funds before I can fill in these forms? The USA forms effect tax withholdings - not sure if they deal with US citizens?)

Whole thing was pretty painless and done in maybe 30 minutes.

Hope that helps.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

another option:

THD - iShares MSCI Thailand ETF

A bad option for non-American citizens because of withholding tax on the dividends.

Also a bad option for Americans because of the steep expense ratio (0.6%).

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, RAZZELL said:

Right to finish off.

Mrs and I were in Promenade in Ramintra as she was getting her hair done :whistling: so afterwards we popped next door into Fashion Island.

Downstairs in the basement is a Bangkok Bank. Went in and asked about opening a trading account.

They took me down a corridor opposite (the area is being refurbished) and entered a medium sized office with a few people behind desks and some (customers?) who seemed to be doing a course/trading (?).

(On the way in we walked past a Kim Maybank Eng sign so maybe they have an office there as well?)

Filled one form out and signed copies of my passport, yellow book and pink ID card.

Form was basic stuff, name, age, address, income, occupation, source of funds and questions to judge your investing/risk profile etc etc. (Don't think they are that bothered about most of it!)

The female employee (who spoke ok English) said I will get an email with confirmation, account number, password etc in 3-4 days and then I can deposit funds and trade on the SET etc. 

I will then be able to fill in the additional forms for trading on the Hong Kong, Vietnam and US exchanges. (Not sure if I have to deposit funds before I can fill in these forms? The USA forms effect tax withholdings - not sure if they deal with US citizens?)

Whole thing was pretty painless and done in maybe 30 minutes.

Hope that helps.

RAZZ

???????????? appreciate the input Razz!

• Like 1

To finish this off:

Got an email with opened account, password and PIN today - but the first time you log in you have to enter a new password and new PIN.

New password had to be longer than 6 letters etc - but the website only lets you type in 6 (?) when you go to re-log in. Combination of me being a bit thick and their computer system rubbish. So yet to have a "play" and check functionality.

I'll work it eventually.

BTW - trying to open a Saxo account in Singapore has been a nightmare. Taken 4 weeks and still not done.

RAZZ

• Thanks 1

I opened my account with Maybank. All very easy and professional. Downloaded the Efin app and very easy to buy and sell shares.

Just spent the morning trying to take up the IPO offering for SCGP new IPO but with no luck.

SCB were the authorized broker, they were slow, clueless and did not have a clue what was going on. Will just wait to buy them when they start trading openly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I opened my account with Maybank. All very easy and professional. Downloaded the Efin app and very easy to buy and sell shares.

Just spent the morning trying to take up the IPO offering for SCGP new IPO but with no luck.

SCB were the authorized broker, they were slow, clueless and did not have a clue what was going on. Will just wait to buy them when they start trading openly.

Bangkok Bank are as well.

RAZZ

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:58 PM, RAZZELL said:

To finish this off:

Got an email with opened account, password and PIN today - but the first time you log in you have to enter a new password and new PIN.

New password had to be longer than 6 letters etc - but the website only lets you type in 6 (?) when you go to re-log in. Combination of me being a bit thick and their computer system rubbish. So yet to have a "play" and check functionality.

I'll work it eventually.

BTW - trying to open a Saxo account in Singapore has been a nightmare. Taken 4 weeks and still not done.

RAZZ

Appreciate it Razz. Good luck to you and happy investing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Thanks! Maybank wasn't on my radar. Gonna look into it.

With regards to SCGP IPO, I am not a fan of buying around IPOs. I like to give a stock a run of at least 1, possibly 2 years.

Besides, SCG is on my radar for a starting position. That depends on their divided though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right another update.

The desktop and app for Bualuang is ok. (App is called "Streaming" and used by half a dozen institutions)

Seems to be a similar trading platform to Saxo etc

The one annoying quirk is that you if you want to trade Hong Kong or New York you have to open a Global Investing Account and deposit 200k baht - and sign a form.

Then when you want to trade US stocks - you have to transfer it into a USD account and it takes a day. (and sign a form)

Same with HK dollars, two days (and sign a form).

I'm not sure if you can transfer between baht/dollar/hk dollar accounts automatically (?)

Slows you down a tad.

Now all I need to do is pick some winners ????

RAZZ

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:15 AM, RAZZELL said:

Right another update.

The desktop and app for Bualuang is ok. (App is called "Streaming" and used by half a dozen institutions)

Seems to be a similar trading platform to Saxo etc

The one annoying quirk is that you if you want to trade Hong Kong or New York you have to open a Global Investing Account and deposit 200k baht - and sign a form.

Then when you want to trade US stocks - you have to transfer it into a USD account and it takes a day. (and sign a form)

Same with HK dollars, two days (and sign a form).

I'm not sure if you can transfer between baht/dollar/hk dollar accounts automatically (?)

Slows you down a tad.

Now all I need to do is pick some winners ????

RAZZ

Thanks Razz.

I use International Brokers for all international investment.

Local broker only for investments in SET.

Appreciate your updates!

With regards to winners, what investment style do you follow: long term growth, momentum, value, long term dividends?

Although I am still rather young I majority of my investments is in long term dividends stock bought at value prices.

Edited by fabruer
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fabruer said:

Thanks Razz.

I use International Brokers for all international investment.

Local broker only for investments in SET.

Appreciate your updates!

With regards to winners, what investment style do you follow: long term growth, momentum, value, long term dividends?

Although I am still rather young I majority of my investments is in long term dividends stock bought at value prices.

A bit of a mix ????????

I guess at the moment long term for me is around 3 years (?)

Some mid/long term holds like Visa, Alibaba and JD.com. 

Some turnaround stocks like Aston Martin - (please ???? for me).

BP dividend.

I have tried to avoid hyped EV stocks - but their current bullish nature seems I will have to - the FOMO is strong with these! I will probably avoid the ones that don't really make anything, Hyliion, Lordstown, Nikola, Workhorse etc - but might have a couple of quid for the ride.

I actually prefer Xpeng over Nio - (what happens with battery swaps mid/end of product cycle?) Shame I hold neither of them ????‍♂️

Thai stocks - I missed the low of Bangkok Bank around 90 baht. They are the more solid and sensible of Thai banking stocks. Seems like I've mistimed that one (story of my life). Siam Cement has gone nowhere, VGI and BTS might bounce a bit if the Kerry IPO ever happens.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another add:

Previously, when I transferred money it took 1-2 days to convert to USA Dollars or HK Dollars. 

Yesterday, transferred money before 11am and it was in my denominated accounts in HKD and USD by the evening ????‍♂️

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Thanks 1