BANGKOK
BritManToo

60 day family at Chiang Mai very easy today.

Great for you! Thanks for a positive post. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Is that the same side as the Rimping supermarket, or is it a different bridge?

I'm wondering why the numbers are down so much, maybe there are no Chinese there anymore. Every time I was there, I knew how a sardine felt in the tin.

• Like 2

Just now, hanuman2 said:

BritmanToo

Did you need an embassy letter for your extension?

He did 60day visit wife. No letter required

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He did 60day visit wife. No letter required

I just got an embassy letter today coz I plan a 2 months extension of NON-O on the basis of supporting a Thai child. The UK embassy only gives letters for NON-O extensions so that's why I asked. Maybe it's only for certain types of NON-O? Confusing as ever.

EDIT - i sent a photo of my visa page, so the embassy knew i was going NON-O -> 2 month NON-O extension ie not from TV.

Edited by hanuman2

9 minutes ago, hanuman2 said:

BritmanToo

Did you need an embassy letter for your extension?

No letter required for a 60 day family extension of a Non-O entry currently on amnesty.

They were asking for letters if on a Tourist VISA or VISA waiver on arrival.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, hanuman2 said:

I just got an embassy letter today coz I plan a 2 months extension of NON-O on the basis of supporting a Thai child. The UK embassy only gives letters for NON-O extensions so that's why I asked. Maybe it's only for certain types of NON-O? Confusing as ever.

EDIT - i sent a photo of my visa page, so the embassy knew i was going NON-O -> 2 month NON-O extension ie not from TV.

I assume your obtaining the 30 day with embassy letter as you need more time to organize for your 60 day extension (child).

I'm confused because I thought the 30 day with letter was made available to visa exempt and tourist visa holders.

If you do in fact obtain a 30 day extension with letter, you would be advised to check that your IMM office will accept further extension post amnesty, based on child. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, hanuman2 said:

Unless you need the 60-days extension to give you more than sufficient time to get hold of the required documents for your 1-year extension of stay application for reason of Thai dependent child, there is no need for such intermediate extension.

When applying for the 1-year extension of stay for that specific reason (support of Thai dependent child) there is no need to season the 400K when using the funds-in-bank method.  You simply need to show that it is on your personal thai bank-account at the moment of application (and once your application is approved, which can take 3-4 weeks you can use the funds as you please).

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I assume your obtaining the 30 day with embassy letter as you need more time to organize for your 60 day extension (child).

I'm confused because I thought the 30 day with letter was made available to visa exempt and tourist visa holders.

If you do in fact obtain a 30 day extension with letter, you would be advised to check that your IMM office will accept further extension post amnesty, based on child. 

Hi DrJack,

ONLY when having entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, are you eligible for a 'regular' 30-day extension of stay (one per entry).

The Embassy letter supported 'special' extension of stay, can be applied for from any entry, that is if your Embassy is willing to provide it.  And the good news is that there are now some reports of applicants which used that special extension of stay, as a spring-board to successfully apply for a regular extension.

But it is correct that there have also been reports of:

- IOs refusing to handle a regular 30-day extension of stay application even when the applicant was eligible for it, and insisting on an Embassy letter to support that application.  But reports from CM, Samui, Mae Hong Son and Ubon Ratchathani confirmed that these offices provide the 30-day extension when you are eligible for it (i.e. not used yet and entered VE or on a Tourist Visa);

- IOs (e.g. HatYai and SriRacha) stating that applying for a special extension of stay with the Embassy letter will block you from applying subsequently for a regular extension. 

Inconsistency is the rule!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never seen so few people. The form for the 1 year extension mentioned the need for a TM30 ........... what's a TM30 I asked?

Directed round the back to ask what's this 'TM30' all about then?

And they did one for me, no fine despite being here for the last 11 years without one.

You are a lucky Brit Man.    They were fining people for years ( usually 1600 baht)  who had no tm30.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

You are a lucky Brit Man.    They were fining people for years ( usually 1600 baht)  who had no tm30.

Guess it depends on IMM office (as usual) 

Been doing extensions 8 yrs at CW pre covid exit/reenter Thailand every month. 

Never have done one TM30

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I'm waiting until next Wednesday in case of another amnesty extension 😉 

As long as you have a good and confirmed back-up plan of what to do when the Amnesty is not extended, I would say: quite OK.

Only drawback being that in that case you would be confronted with 'slightly overcrowded' Immigration offices that have to cater for all those with similar plan as yourself.