Import Duty

MrKFC

Hi,

My return flights got cancelled when Covid came, have decided to stay a while, got the 1 year non-O approved last week.

But there's a handful of certain brand items I prefer that really aren't available here, mostly vitamins, supplements a couple other things.

A friend will ship, no problem, but I've heard stories about opened packages and import duties and VAT being imposed. Retail of the stuff is well under $100US, not a big box.

Any guidance will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

DS

Packages containing vitamins and supplements are likely to be opened as those items need to be approved by Thailand's FDA.

If the items are being shipped using FedEx, UPS or DHL (and probably others) the courier company will automatically charge any import duty/VAT, in addition to their own disbursement fee of a couple of hundred baht, as they are contracted to collect duty for the Customs Dept.  Any duty, tax, or fee will be listed on their shipping advice to you (if it gets through Customs).   The value of the items will be assessed by Customs.

A normal postal package is less likely to be intercepted.

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Like 1

Everything until 1500 Baht is duty free (1500 including freight). Just recently I received vitamins from Vitacost for 1570 Baht with DHL. Didn't pay anything. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1