quick paid property tax

tontraveller

This morning around 11.00 am I arrived at City hall with Tambian Ban and Chanod of my 2 condos.

On 1st floor on right side of stairs the office for that department. Got a number, was called to desk. handed in my paperwork, even passport, but was not needed. Officer checked all in computer, gave me another number and when called in, I went to pay at another counter..

Worked out because Covid discount, I paid total sum of 67 Thb for units sized 90 and 65 resp.

90 % discount this year..In and out in 40 minutes.. 

10 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I never paid property tax in Pattaya. Did I miss something? Why do you know that you have to pay? 

Might be called Building and Land tax .

City hall send letters to (almost?) all house/condo owners, in Thai language, requesting you to acknowlidge ownership.

No need to go there that time, not responding means you confirm ownership.

Best go before Oct 31 to pay and get discount..

4 minutes ago, tontraveller said:

Might be called Building and Land tax .

City hall send letters to (almost?) all house/condo owners, in Thai language, requesting you to acknowlidge ownership.

No need to go there that time, not responding means you confirm ownership.

Best go before Oct 31 to pay and get discount..

I got such a letter long time ago. Perhaps you only have to pay if you go there?! Or when will I have to pay? 

18 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I got such a letter long time ago. Perhaps you only have to pay if you go there?! Or when will I have to pay? 

Not sure, next round of payment might be middle of next year for 2021.

Possibly required to pay by then the 2020 amount as well, with no Covid discount

26 minutes ago, tontraveller said:

Not sure, next round of payment might be middle of next year for 2021.

Possibly required to pay by then the 2020 amount as well, with no Covid discount

The tax is described below. If I understand it correctly if you own only one condo with the value below 10 million you don't have to pay anything. And the reduced rate that you got has nothing to do with Covid. It is for some years seen as transition period. 

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report-international/insight-new-property-tax-in-thailand-from-2020

Edited by Oldie

11 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The tax is described below. If I understand it correctly if you own only one condo with the value below 10 million you don't have to pay anything. And the reduced rate that you got has nothing to do with Covid. It is for some years seen as transition period. 

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report-international/insight-new-property-tax-in-thailand-from-2020

Yes but many foreigners do not live officially in their condos so you have to pay even if have only one condo.

Officially in this case is not immigration related, it is city related meaning most likely yellow book for foreigners

Edited by thaitero

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

I never paid property tax in Pattaya. Did I miss something? Why do you know that you have to pay? 

the old tax system was like a lottery - I live in 10 house compound, all company owned properties and about half win in the tax lottery before (I was one of the lucky ones...7500 per year). Now, seems the new system has wider coverage but WAY lower tax rate at least to start with (my new ticket shows something 3xx baht as nominal fee, have not gone to settle yet

the old system they backdated if not paid before - the interesting thing is whether the properties that did not win in the tax lottery before, will ever need to pay anything for the years the old tax system was valid. 

Anyway, if you win, you will get a letter (with delivery signature) if you win, if not, you are not expected to pay anything - YET...

1 minute ago, thaitero said:

As far as i know with condos there were newer any old "lottery tax systems" so for condos this is the first year..

...not true - some owners of condo next door win in the old lottery system before. Backdated to 2012, had to pay something closer to 100000 in back taxes...

• Sad 1

that I don't know, however I doubt the lottery win was dependent on ownership type, rather just random selection of land titles that won. Not sure though.

I suspect they had some kind of annual money quota to meet, and year by year added to meet the number. 

Still feel jealous to my neighbors who did not win!

4 minutes ago, mran66 said:

that I don't know, however I doubt the lottery win was dependent on ownership type, rather just random selection of land titles that won. Not sure though.

I suspect they had some kind of annual money quota to meet, and year by year added to meet the number. 

Still feel jealous to my neighbors who did not win!

O.k thanks,,

I think this ownership type is relevant here but not sure,,,

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

Yes but many foreigners do not live officially in their condos so you have to pay even if have only one condo.

I have only one condo and do not live there more than 1 week a year. I have a yellow book for the place, register my TM30 and annual retirement extensions using it, does that mean I officially live there and don't pay a tax?

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

4 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I have only one condo and do not live there more than 1 week a year. I have a yellow book for the place, register my TM30 and annual retirement extensions using it, does that mean I officially live there and don't pay a tax?

What I have heard foreigners who have obtained yellow book also do not have to pay,,

Still i would doublecheck this to be 100% sure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, thaitero said:

O.k thanks,,

I think this ownership type is relevant here but not sure,,,

maybe, you never know. However I recall some Thai person telling me that some Thai people would have been getting those wins too. But don't remember/know the details as several years ago. However what I recall I was told that the tax rate for company owned properties is higher as they are always treated as commercial (instead of personal residence). I have understood that would be the case with the new system too - but as long as tax rates remain like this, does not matter...

We own a couple of condos and we heard about this "new" council tax recently through internet chat - we've never received these letters in the past, this would be the first time, if we've received them.

Unfortunately we are out of the country without access to our post, and unlikely to return any time soon due to Covid.

My father-in-law contacted the office and was told he couldn't pay the tax it had to be the owner only. We've sent an email asking can we pay directly from abroad due to the above, but no reply as yet.

I believe you don't get the letter, or have to pay the tax, if you're the registered as the owner-occupier(blue book). According to my wife anyway.

Regards

12 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Who will know and is it true lol

As I paid today for my "blue book" condos I followed advice from my friend residing in  my condo complex as well.  Indeed, when you got the Yellow book, and with your name in it as registered owner, you dont have to pay tax, as my friend reported.. He told me that when you live in your own condo with blue book, you can apply for a yellow book at city hall,but it required some paperwork.  

• Like 1