High-pressure washers to become controlled item in Thailand after one electrocutes user

webfact

31 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

Wait, what?

In a country where I had to wear slippers because my Mac keyboard would shock me?

Maybe if all electricians were certified and there were actual standards for them to follow, this, and a multitude of other deaths, would be avoided. 

Perhaps the poor sod who died had done a DIY on his home electrical with no safety cut etc?  So we blame the appliances? 

picard-facepalm.gif

I had to have a rubber mat in front of the fridge for years to avoid shocks... 3 pin sockets all around the house but nothing connected to earth, Even connecting the canon camera by usb would result in a shock.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Only in Thailand!!!

I actually saw them installing this many years ago next to Tesco Lotus on Threppasit Rd Pattaya,its a Police Box,and YES... the cables protrude out the other side of the box 555! 

I always wonder if a fully qualified Professional Architect signed his name to this,and if so,it could be aligned with the mentality of Thai politicians.

T.I.T.

What!? You watched them doing this and you didn't stop them!!!???

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Anna Rak said:

Luckily when I built my house I was there and made sure every part of the electrical system was 3 wire earthed with a top quality RCD unit and only junction boxes, NO taped joints in the ceiling.

They  try to sell you a standard CB unless you say the majic word SAF T CUT

18 minutes ago, connda said:

<laughs> Then every swimming pool in Thailand should be a controlled item.

No joke, I recalled the Russian zapped in the 5 star hotel pool..... so much for all the wise asses thinking 5 star helps so much...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Ok, I'll add my Kärcher to the list of things that are out to get me. Not.

Do not buy Cheap Chinese <deleted>.

Without the facts of the electrocution lets not be to hard on the manufacturers, could it possibly have been caused by the user?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

800_682df71136ef7b3.jpg?v=1600413860

Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit has called on the Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI) to add high-pressure washers to the list of controlled products as soon as possible after a consumer was electrocuted by one of them last month.

“The ministry is committed to protecting consumers from hazardous products,” he said. “Once this is classified as a controlled product, anyone who wants to import or manufacture these washers will have to apply for a TISI permit first, so the institute can test the product for safety and quality, and stop substandard items from reaching the market.”

The lunacy is just mind boggling.  ONE DEATH and the government goes into high alert to "protect" consumers from hazardous products.  In the meantime thousands die each year on the roads and the substantial number resulted from drugs or alcohol.  Does the government start an enforcement program to randomly screen drivers.  Does it prohibit drivers from being on the roads for multiple DUI offenses.  
image.png.2b3c7df5166e14112deaab257b82aab3.png

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The lunacy is just mind boggling.  ONE DEATH and the government goes into high alert to "protect" consumers from hazardous products.  In the meantime thousands die each year on the roads and the substantial number resulted from drugs or alcohol.  Does the government start an enforcement program to randomly screen drivers.  Does it prohibit drivers from being on the roads for multiple DUI offenses.  
image.png.2b3c7df5166e14112deaab257b82aab3.png

True, but the ones dying on the road are poor people.....a faulty electrical device might kill a hi so.

18 hours ago, Seeall said:

I am being asked what that then?

Ah, now the subject of an earth spike comes to mind.

After living in this house for short while the downstairs shower stopped heating, so out with the old in with new, but a fault showed on the display, no earth, but it has an earth connected i said.

Further digging confirmed the previous owner had pushed an earth wire about the length of a normal roger into the ground (at least the thought was there) and the new digital shower rejected the earth.

So in with an earth spike and all was well.

We all know you only need an earth when things go wrong and if they go wrong in the shower room almost certainly its bye bye.

• Like 1