High-pressure washers to become controlled item in Thailand after one electrocutes user

webfact

20 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:
20 hours ago, webfact said:

Avoid buying cheap items that can cause accidents while being used,”

20 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

But there's no problem selling the <deleted>, right? 

No, not yet, which is exactly what Wanchai conceded.  But this is what the article is about isn't it. And if you were to quote the full paragraph it would put the sentence in context wouldn't it.

“While these standards are not in effect yet, people should choose products carefully and ensure they use those that have passed international standards. Avoid buying cheap items that can cause accidents while being used,” Wanchai added.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

If you know anything at all about high-pressure washers, you know not to buy cheap ones or ones that don't have a brand name or can't be reviewed properly online. 

It's very easy now to go online now and buy all sorts of cheap <deleted>. Lazada, for example, is just full of fake or dodgy products. It's very easy to do your research of products. And if you can't find any reviews online, or the product has a name with English characters but a website that's exclusively in Chinese - steer well clear. 

what about zinsano that is the best seller in Thailand ?

At the last  committee meeting, it was decided, it is time to take action against faulty and dangerous high pressure cleaners.

From October 01st, only the ones show in the picture below, will be allowed.

Please order at your local police station. 

D7488859-49D4-45DD-862D-7838B5630B25.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, RotBenz8888 said:
On 9/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, webfact said:

Avoid buying cheap items that can cause accidents while being used,”

But there's no problem selling the <deleted>, right? 

That's right, at the moment, that's what the article is about! 

The minister is trying to change things for the better by issuing permits and keeping substandard items out of the country.  When the regulations are in place selling substandard items will be a problem.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:42 PM, Jimbo53 said:

Only in Thailand!!!

I actually saw them installing this many years ago next to Tesco Lotus on Threppasit Rd Pattaya,its a Police Box,and YES... the cables protrude out the other side of the box 555! 

I always wonder if a fully qualified Professional Architect signed his name to this,and if so,it could be aligned with the mentality of Thai politicians.

T.I.T.

No big deal, apart from aesthetics, they're internet/TV cables.  The power lines are much higher up.

Edited by Hi Tea

6 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Just bought a toaster and kettle.....both fitted with continental (German style) earthed plugs and no way of earthing them when plugging in. Good job I have the wife to do the tea and toast.

There is a way...get the outlets changed to earthed 3-pin units.

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

the Photo actually shows Wet Vaccum cleaners and not what I would call a High Pressure Washer. 

The photo actually shows two items, the one that isn't a wet vacuum cleaner is actually a high-pressure washer. 

The OP actually stated that high-pressure washers were to be included in the list of controlled items, it didn't say that they were the only items or that wet vacuums weren't going on the list.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:47 PM, CGW said:

Wise man! :shock1:

Next he will be suggesting the average Thai house has an earth system that works ????

No need for an earthed system, Thai electrics are different and don't need it - and Thai water runs up hill, that's why floor drains are always at the highest part of the floor ????

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, Anna Rak said:

Luckily when I built my house I was there and made sure every part of the electrical system was 3 wire earthed with a top quality RCD unit and only junction boxes, NO taped joints in the ceiling.

Ditto - with no taped joints anywhere, only screwed cable connectors. 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, webfact said:

“The ministry is committed to protecting consumers from hazardous products,” he said. “Once this is classified as a controlled product, anyone who wants to import or manufacture these washers will have to apply for a TISI permit first, so the institute can test the product for safety and quality, and stop substandard items from reaching the market.”

What a load of nonsense....pressure washers in thailand even don't have a grounded cable, there's only 2 wires in the cable while in European countries there are 3! The thai ones are nog legal to use in Europe but the weird thing is that Karcher, Bosch and all other brands make them with 2 wires only for Thailand. These brands should not even think about lowering their standards.

Also Thailand should get electric outlets with a ground connection...Why would they think the 1st world has that?

It is a little off-topic...but  it is also about water and electricity.

It was 2.3 years ago... there is a  water pump which is in used to give enough water pressure for the houses after the water tank which is about ten meters in height, so this water pump suddenly was not working any more. The Thai owner called a company to replace it.

When they put the new pump it did not works either, by mere chance I was next to them out of pure curiosity.

I speak a little Thai with the workmen and one told me well,  we do not understand there IS some current, but  all they had to control was a screwdriver with a small resistance inside, you know when you put your finger at the end of the screwdriver it turns on red. I told them, don't move I'm going to get my electric controller I'm coming back.

I checked the line after the switch there was 40/50 Volts before the switch 200volts, so they dismantle the switch which looks old no doubt of it, the poor thing was completely oxidized and rusty inside I told them, well here is the problem they answer yes of course, one takes, his motorbike came back 1 hour later,  after changing the switch/interrupter with a new one the new pump started in one second. They told me ah that's great this controller you have, how much it costs we have to ask the boss to buy  one... Supposed to be professionals electricians  working for a company who dig wells and install water supplies! But in the same time not a word about the pump which has been changed which by the way was  a much more expensive and bigger model!  

When you are the witness of things like this how could to trust electricians and companies in this country? Impossible!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

It is a little off-topic...but  it is also about water and electricity.

It was 2.3 years ago... there is a  water pump which is in used to give enough water pressure for the houses after the water tank which is about ten meters in height, so this water pump suddenly was not working any more. The Thai owner called a company to replace it.

When they put the new pump it did not works either, by mere chance I was next to them out of pure curiosity.

I speak a little Thai with the workmen and one told me well,  we do not understand there IS some current, but  all they had to control was a screwdriver with a small resistance inside, you know when you put your finger at the end of the screwdriver it turns on red. I told them, don't move I'm going to get my electric controller I'm coming back.

I checked the line after the switch there was 40/50 Volts before the switch 200volts, so they dismantle the switch which looks old no doubt of it, the poor thing was completely oxidized and rusty inside I told them, well here is the problem they answer yes of course, one takes, his motorbike came back 1 hour later,  after changing the switch/interrupter with a new one the new pump started in one second. They told me ah that's great this controller you have, how much it costs we have to ask the boss to buy  one... Supposed to be professionals electricians  working for a company who dig wells and install water supplies! But in the same time not a word about the pump which has been changed which by the way was  a much more expensive and bigger model!  

When you are the witness of things like this how could to trust electricians and companies in this country? Impossible!

1 word.....education. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, webfact said:

stop substandard items from reaching the market

Shouldn't they be doing this anyways? Is it not a part of their mandate? Are they openly admitting that it is the norm here that substandard items are imported on a regular basis? 

16 minutes ago, djayz said:

Shouldn't they be doing this anyways? Is it not a part of their mandate? Are they openly admitting that it is the norm here that substandard items are imported on a regular basis? 

Admitting the problem is the first step toward solving the problem.

57 minutes ago, sungod said:

I can only go by what I read on here, in that I have never heard of anyone being killed by a high pressure washer before, but seen several over the years electrocuted by a phone charger.

I bet a few with electric showers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Artisi said:

Ditto - with no taped joints anywhere, only screwed cable connectors. 

With the heat in Thailand tape will last about a year in the ceiling, well the rubbish you can buy here does, good tape maybe 2 years. So having a screwed cable connector is actually a good idea.

Cheers