Thailand reports first coronavirus death in over 100 days

webfact

Thailand reports first coronavirus death in over 100 days

2020-09-18T073345Z_1_LYNXMPEG8H0HJ_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People wear face masks after Thailand detected its first domestic coronavirus infection in over three months, in Bangkok, Thailand September 4, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Friday reported its first coronavirus death in more than 100 days, a health official said, after an infected Thai citizen had returned from abroad earlier this month.

The 54-year old man, who was an interpreter based in Saudi Arabia working for the Thai labour ministry, had been treated in a Bangkok hospital for two weeks and died on Friday, Somsak Akksilp, head of the Department Medical Services, told Reuters.

Officials will hold a briefing on the case at 0730 GMT.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Writing by Orathai Sriring; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-18

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Ministry staffer succumbs to Covid-19, first death in Thailand since June 2

By The Nation

800_a1bc570c8b0ddc7.jpg?v=1600411370

A Ministry of Labour staffer, who had returned from Saudi Arabia and was found to be infected with Covid-19, died on Friday. It was the first fatality in Thailand in 97 days.

Adviser to the chief of Muslims in Thailand, Preda Chuepudee, confirmed that Mat Mamin, 54, who had served as an interpreter in Riyadh, and was undergoing treatment for Covid-19 at Rajavithi Hospital, died at noon.

Mat had returned to Thailand on September 2.

He is the 59th death from Covid-19 in Thailand. The last fatality from Covid-19 was reported on June 2.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394764

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-18

1 hour ago, yeahbutif said:

Very strange I thought I read there was not any case.s in quirentine from local or returnees.yeasteday.then some one die from it Very weird........

Mat had returned to Thailand on September 2.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Me thinks that they are trying to raise the bar for this weekends protests, and scare everyone into staying indoors, between Covid and now this weak ass storm.

I guess it depends on where you live - you didn't say - because here in Ubon Ratchathani, It's been windy, raining torrents, flooding and breaking stuff for the last 15 hours!

7 minutes ago, mosan said:

I guess it depends on where you live - you didn't say - because here in Ubon Ratchathani, It's been windy, raining torrents, flooding and breaking stuff for the last 15 hours!

Unfortunately, it only drizzled here in Bangkok today, and is not looking like the projected deluge will be here to dissuade the protestors.  The US Embassy has also sent out an advice to be aware of the protests happening in the Area of the Grand Palace.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Me thinks that they are trying to raise the bar for this weekends protests, and scare everyone into staying indoors, between Covid and now this weak ass storm.

Yeah this fake storm which has already killed people, put hundreds out of their homes and caused widespread disruption and destruction.

Why one earth would you belittle it as a "weak ass storm" when it is having serious effects on many people?  Not as good as your big old US storms?  What is your problem exactly??    You have some sort of pathetic agenda and you should be ashamed.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Very strange I thought I read there was not any case.s in quirentine from local or returnees.yeasteday.then some one die from it Very weird........

This was the government's recap as of a couple days ago:

Doesn't say how many people are currently in quarantine facilities (see additional info below). But does say 84 confirmed cases undergoing treatment as of about a week ago.

Screenshot_1.jpg.2111c936fb72c7107b48a99044232c78.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no249-100963.pdf

And this, which says 7 new cases (5 Thais and two foreigners) confirmed among quarantined returnees detected in the past day:

Screenshot_2.jpg.ef67b7321cd6d08bc0e3763f3234806d.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

And also includes the following statistics:

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand increased to 3,497 (559 in state quarantine), of whom 111 are in hospital and 3,328 have recovered and been discharged, while the death toll remains 58 [which today increased to 59].

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So that's apparently 559 confirmed CV cases thus far among people traveling/returning to Thailand who got caught via the state quarantine system.

Then, imagine in contrast, what would have happened if there was no quarantine system and all 559 of those CV infected folks were simply allowed to freely mingle in society, and spread the CV to those around them, who would then spread it to those around them, etc etc etc...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You're making assumptions here... a "case" does not equate to illness. And more importantly does not equate to a person who is presently spreading the virus. No doubt some of them are in that window of time that they are infectious, but not all of them. To get a correct assessment and to project what you are implying, each of those "cases" would have to determined whether or not they fall into the time category of ability or not to be actually infectious or not. A large percentage of "cases" are asymptomatic and are in fact not spreaders. 

Afraid you're mistaken... There's no direct correlation between someone with CV being asymptomatic (or pre-symptomatic) and them not being able to spread the virus. People with no apparent symptoms are capable of spreading it, just as are people with severe symptoms.

What matters more in terms of a person's ability to spread the virus is where they are in their own individual infection cycle.... After first exposed and then later on the down side, less likely to infect others. More in the middle and/or just before any symptoms present and then in the days after that, more likely to infect.

Evidence shows that 25% to 45% of infected people likely don't have symptoms, Fauci told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday morning.
"And we know from epidemiological studies they can transmit to someone who is uninfected even when they're without symptoms," said Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"There remains scientific uncertainty, but asymptomatic infection could be around 30% to 50% of cases," Smeeth said. "The best scientific studies to date suggest that up to half of cases became infected from asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic people."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/who-coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-bn/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's no direct correlation between someone with CV being asymptomatic (or pre-symptomatic) and them not being able to spread the virus.

I'm afraid you are incapable of reading.... I made no blanket statements here... go back and read my original comment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

You have to ask yourself if 1 death in 100 days is worth the current economic chaos Thailand has put itself through?

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but you've got the argument back asswards. 

If the huns - or the mameluks or whatever warrior gang - are bearing down on your cute medieval town you can put up no defenses and suffer 2,000 dead, all the citizens in the town. Or ------ you could strengthen all the defenses and put a man on every wall and dig trenches and raise bulwarks and drag out cauldrons of boiling oil etc (I'm not familiar with medieval warfare). The aggressors beat themselves bloody on your strong defenses and only 1 of your own people dies before the huns move on.

Was all that work worth the single death?

No, all the work was to protect the 2,000 citizens. The single death was the cost.  

The problem with your argument is that you don't know what would have happened without the shutdowns etc. But I agree with your sentiment. It's gone on long enough. They are overreacting, throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater, they've painted themselves into a corner, the cost of the defense of their cute little town is getting to be too big. Probably. I don't know.  

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Afraid you're mistaken... There's no direct correlation between someone with CV being asymptomatic (or pre-symptomatic) and them not being able to spread the virus. People with no apparent symptoms are capable of spreading it, just as are people with severe symptoms.

What matters more in terms of a person's ability to spread the virus is where they are in their own individual infection cycle.... After first exposed and then later on the down side, less likely to infect others. More in the middle and/or just before any symptoms present and then in the days after that, more likely to infect.

Is there a correlation between being infected by an asymptomatic carrier and then becoming an asymptomatic carrier oneself? So, while the infection spreads, the recipients get such a small load that they often do not develop any symptoms?