Objective zero tourist?

Brunolem

Thanks to TVF we are entertained with the almost daily schemes produced by the Thai authorities in order to welcome tourists back to the Land of Smiles.

Beside the fun, one can't help to notice that the target is getting smaller and smaller, instead of getting bigger and bigger, as one might expect at the turn of a crisis.

First, they were talking about travel bubbles and millions of tourists.

Then it was a special port of entry in Phuket.

Now they are talking about the equivalent of one Falcon 900 carrying a billionaire and his friends, every day.

Of course, I am skipping multiple episodes in between these three.

What does this mean?

Well, governments can make bad decisions, but they generally make informed decisions, based on information the public doesn't have access to, but accessible to them thanks to their worldwide networks.

And it would seem that this information is not very reassuring.

As a matter of fact, the recent decision to create a new tourist visa valid 9 months doesn't bode well.

Why would they do that if they thought that things would be back to normal, say by year end?

If they think necessary to do it, it is probably because, based on their information, they don't expect a return to normalcy before mid 2021, at best.

As for the 1,200 tourists per month, this is not a limit set according to the number of ultra wealthy tourists available, but because they don't believe in their own scheme, and they don't want to talk about tens of thousands of potential arrivals, then look ridiculous when the numbers will be in the hundreds, at most.

• Like 2

I dont know who they want please!? Maybe they only laugh how they lie to all! Normal Thai not going to barriers anyway, farang's can't do nothing, rich in here want follow(to get what before) and who little go in barrier "students" (they don't have power enough to do nothing). Normal thai "know hes/her place" harvest, get little and shut up! If few rule all and coundry never seen true democratic parlament what you can wait for? Be polite and smile! Wai and get stuff in your...... rectum!

My mother in law called my Mrs with the exciting news I can return on a STV for 9 months and at last I can access my FCD account as my retirement visa expires in two days but alas the excitement soon evaporated as the myriad of caveats and ASQ had not and just increased with a charter flight on top????  

24 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Why would they do that if they thought that things would be back to normal, say by year end?

I have never seen anything to suggest they thought that.  The only people who seem to think things will improve anytime soon are optimistic foreigners wanting to pop back home to see ancient relatives or deal with "business".

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think Occam's Razor is in play here, the proposition the simplest explanation is the most likely. IMO the Thai authorities don't know whether they are Arthur or Martha.

Have to give LST  credit.    His posts send me to google more often than any other.  

i am gettin ejucated 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, baansgr said:

What would you suggest. In fact Thailand is more open to Foreigners than countries such as Vietnam, Malaya and PI...propose an idea, a plan to bring back 40 million tourists a year. I'm all ears

You didn't read my post entirely.

I am not criticizing their decision, but just saying that it doesn't reflect optimism regarding a return to normal international tourism.

Compare the tourism industry, worldwide, with a patient in cardiac arrest.

As long as the heart is not pumping, cells are destroyed...irreversibly...and the longer it last the less there is a chance that the patient will ever be back to normal.

Tourism has already stopped for 6 months...what will be left (airlines, hotels, restaurants, tour operators...) after another 6 to 9 months, or more?

38 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I have never seen anything to suggest they thought that.  The only people who seem to think things will improve anytime soon are optimistic foreigners wanting to pop back home to see ancient relatives or deal with "business".

Not long ago, they were talking about millions of arrivals in the last quarter of 2020...maybe less than usual, but certainly not 1,200 a month...

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

looking at the rates of infection for the EU, UK and the USA I'm surprised they even have the present option..

They never said that there would be charter flights from these countries...

There are other countries who made far better in controlling Covid-19

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think Occam's Razor is in play here, the proposition the simplest explanation is the most likely. IMO the Thai authorities don't know whether they are Arthur or Martha.

You beat me to it (not Occam's Razor had to look that up). They simply do not know what to do. The STV must be regarded as an attempt to look like they are doing something. When they wake from their fear induced comas they will realise that they have it within their power to allow people in from countries with a reasonable amount of Covid control, a Covid test prior and no quarantine. The market will sort everything else out. But the OP is right too, the longer this takes the less chance they have.

Edited by Bluetongue