5,000 - 7,000 baht smartphone Recommendation

scubascuba3

I recently bought a Xiaomi Redme Note 9, it was an impulse buy because I lost my Motorola G7 Power which worked perfectly. The Note 9 however certainly isn't perfect. It uses android 10, apps randomly close, my Bryton cycle computer Bluetooth link keeps getting lost, its work in progress to solve that problem. The alarm keeps going to full volume even though I keep changing it and other niggles so I wouldn't recommend this phone, which is odd as people always rave about the Redme Notes, I'm beginning to think they were fake reviews. 

What would you recommend in the 5,000 to 7,000 baht range? 

Anyone else having issues with Android 10? if not it's the Redme

Anything from Vivo, Realme or Oppo. They have several models, and in our family that´s the price and brands that goes for a phone. It have been working perfect so far.

Just see to that you get one of the models with 3-4 GB ram and about 64-128Gb storage.

Redme phones are a total waste of money. Probably why Android 10 have problem.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

Oppo sounds good, I was very close to buying one but almost too many options to decide , then I remembered all the fan boys raving about the Redme notes, mistake that was. The Motorola G7 Power was flawless but I couldn't find a shop that sold Motorola , Big C seems to have dropped them

• Like 1

every cheaper models from top brands are lowspec!

in order to get up the spec/quality ladder without paying more is to buy 2nd hand ????
a quick search in e.g. facebook market will reveal a lot of better choices in your bracket or perhaps you up it a bit to get something that actually lasts beyond 6-12 months!!
example huawei P20 etc. the last huaweis that still use android instead of upcoming huawei OS are sure to be longterm hits ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, worldfun said:

every cheaper models from top brands are lowspec!

in order to get up the spec/quality ladder without paying more is to buy 2nd hand ????
a quick search in e.g. facebook market will reveal a lot of better choices in your bracket or perhaps you up it a bit to get something that actually lasts beyond 6-12 months!!
example huawei P20 etc. the last huaweis that still use android instead of upcoming huawei OS are sure to be longterm hits ????

The 5k-7k range does everything I need usually, no need to buy a second hand phone with bells and whistles you don't need plus the batteries usually deteriorate anyway

• Like 2

I've got a Vivo V9 (4 Gig Ram, 64 Gig storage) which I bought a couple of years ago for just under 10K baht. It's a lot cheaper now (around 7K baht). Never had any kind of issue with it. Wife has Vivo S1 Pro. It's worth checking Vivo out.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

I recently went through this.

I would suggest spending a little more.

Either the realme 6 or the Samsung A71.

I chose the A71 my first Samsung and I'm totally thrilled with it.

Yeah you get a little more bang for the baht with the realme brand thoough.

Check prices on Lazada.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Redmi is a good brand coming from Xiaomi so I think you have software problems.  Iwould recommend resetting the phone.

From my experience not so.  Xiaomi shaver looks nice but cuts almost nothing.  Redmi phone looked nice but no volume, turn off if touch wrong, almost impossible to answer without 10 swipes or more.  I will admit they fixed a lot of software issues with an upgrade but phone just did not have enough volume to hear (which is only reason I had the phone) and having to recharge every day without using anything else just not my thing.  They are cheaper and look OK but do not seem to deliver (but admit I am no expert).

57 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

From my experience not so.  Xiaomi shaver looks nice but cuts almost nothing.  Redmi phone looked nice but no volume, turn off if touch wrong, almost impossible to answer without 10 swipes or more.  I will admit they fixed a lot of software issues with an upgrade but phone just did not have enough volume to hear (which is only reason I had the phone) and having to recharge every day without using anything else just not my thing.  They are cheaper and look OK but do not seem to deliver (but admit I am no expert).

I have a Redmi Note 8 which was about 4,800 3 months ago. None of those issues. Battery seems to last more than long enough for me and general forum comments don't have that as an issue for this phone. My only gripe that I cannot fix is the relatively poor wi fi set up and this seems to be a fairly common issue possibly because only one antenna - however I don't play online games so no deal breaker.

I suggest the OP has a look on the Mi Community forums for his phone and see what they say on there - bearing in mind different country builds may have specific issues - IE Global vs India vs China Rom for example. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I agree, the 5,020 mAh battery is disappointing, nowhere near as good as the similar size Motorola G7 Power. The speaker and jack are in stupid positions too at bottom of phone where your hands are

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I recently went through this.

I would suggest spending a little more.

Either the realme 6 or the Samsung A71.

I chose the A71 my first Samsung and I'm totally thrilled with it.

Yeah you get a little more bang for the baht with the realme brand thoough.

Check prices on Lazada.

why spend more, what's the benefit exactly? most phones have features most people don't use. Spend less and change phone more frequently. Have you seen those iPhone fan boys dragging round old small phones

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

For a decent phone you shouldn't need to trawl a brand forum like Mi community. I didn't need to for my Samsung and Motorola they just work well

I agree but since you have the phone so maybe there are fixes to your issues?

You could always buy the same again.......

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/motorola-g7-powerram464gb-5000-mah-qualcomm-snapdragon-632-i592910331-s1111032637.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.4c244f79iI6jGL&search=1

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

why spend more, what's the benefit exactly? most phones have features most people don't use. Spend less and change phone more frequently. Have you seen those iPhone fan boys dragging round old small phones

Just a little more.

With my Samsung the screen and the software. 

For the realme perhaps the processing speed.

I do agree most people don't use the features they buy though. 

Samsung Galaxy M31??  6GB/128GB for ฿7k 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-galaxy-m31-6128-gb-i775508518-s1529252707.html

Android 10, fairly flawless, although the native camera app keeps crashing if I reload it in certain circumstances for unknown reasons.   I suspect it could be conflicting with another app, but I'm still investigating.  

Now the M51 has just about arrived, so I expect the M31 to be marked down a bit more.  It was in the low ฿6000s during 09.09 sale, if you include all the coupons.  I expect something similar for 10.10??

M series seems to be a big hit.   Recommended M30s it to a Western friend who was a Technophobe, and she fell in love with it.  now she wants a smartwatch.  Go figure.    You can only buy M series online.

Got a Oppo A12 2020 for a lady friend.  Another "online exclusive" 4GB/64GB; ฿4600.   Seems to be working well.   Not a huge fan of the Chinese brands, but it does seem like they put some thought into the phone.

And Huawei branded phones might not be a good choice now, because of the lack of Google Play license and other apps you may expect to be natively installed.

Edited by 4evermaat

On 9/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Oppo sounds good, I was very close to buying one but almost too many options to decide , then I remembered all the fan boys raving about the Redme notes, mistake that was. The Motorola G7 Power was flawless but I couldn't find a shop that sold Motorola , Big C seems to have dropped them

Try True shops