Medical experts see Covid-19 risk for Thailand from foreigners

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Keep em out there's many getting 2nd hit.

I wish my risk of developing cancer was 0.5 - 1% - but, studies have put it has high as 40 - 50% - Sounds like many folk would be suicidal trying to come to terms with that risk - just saying..... Stay safe

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:45 PM, PatOngo said:

With a population in excess of 65 million, why does Thailand even need to bring laborers from neighbouring countries? Could it be that the neighbours provide better quality, more reliable/energetic labor! ???? 

I can't be bothered to read all 15 pages of (no doubt) irate responses to this obvious clickbait, but can respond to this one.

Labourers from neighbouring countries cost less.  They are not better quality, more reliable or energetic.  Sorry to smash your racist preconceptions about Thais.  They are simply cheaper.  That is why they are hired.  Pretty simple really.

By your same logic, why does the US import so many Mexicans to work in menial tasks?  Because they are better quality, or because they are cheaper?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaveCW said:

I wish my risk of developing cancer was 0.5 - 1% - but, studies have put it has high as 40 - 50% - Sounds like many folk would be suicidal trying to come to terms with that risk - just saying..... Stay safe

Yeah good call.

I think Thailand has coped well with C19, risk values don't mean a lot to people when they get news from America 200,000 deaths from memory, UK forget but they have second spike, in France too according to media.

Media makes many people fear the worse but if medical doctors see a risk it should be taken seriously.

Last I heard Thailand's worried about Myanmar people trying to get in, there's a C19 spike in that country.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveCW said:

Hi Sandy - If C19 in the community is far less than "many of us think", then this just makes the idea of lockdown and the economical suicide even worse. I tried to find that report regarding the UK antibody Testing results - but could not find - Grateful for the link - Thanks

My point was also about the numbers of deaths which in reality were not as a direct result of C19 - as an example I was listening to a Radio station with a phone dial in - A lady called saying that her father who had suffered from a heart condition for many years and had had several heart attacks was admitted to hospital after his latest, he unfortunately died - but the death cert simply said Cause of Death C19 - nothing to do with his longstanding heart issues. This kind of misinformation is not helping folks.

The details on the antibody test program can be found here

https://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/2020/07/uk-biobank-covid-19-antibody-study-latest-updates/

"My point was also about the numbers of deaths which in reality were not as a direct result of C19 -"

Very few people have actually died from covid-19, if any, the theory is that the virus would eventually destroy the lungs resulting in death.

In the majority of cases the immune system has already been compromised and cannot fight off the secondary infection and death occurs from multiple factors, hence deaths are recorded as covid related.

It is all about "Know", and "No"

The UK think they know mass testing is the answer.

The UK know they have had about 400K cases.

The UK know they have had about 42K deaths.

The UK know infection rates are rising.

The UK know hospital cases are rising.

The UK know covid related deaths are rising.

The UK know that further restrictions have to be imposed.

Thailand has a population slightly larger than the UK but Thailand do not KNOW anything, or so some would have us believe, so NO further restrictions need to be imposed.

Reality is people tend to know when they are sick and when I went to the hospital a couple of weeks ago it was virtually deserted, Chonburi province was one of the covid hotspots.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

The details on the antibody test program can be found here

https://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/2020/07/uk-biobank-covid-19-antibody-study-latest-updates/

"My point was also about the numbers of deaths which in reality were not as a direct result of C19 -"

Very few people have actually died from covid-19, if any, the theory is that the virus would eventually destroy the lungs resulting in death.

In the majority of cases the immune system has already been compromised and cannot fight off the secondary infection and death occurs from multiple factors, hence deaths are recorded as covid related.

It is all about "Know", and "No"

The UK think they know mass testing is the answer.

The UK know they have had about 400K cases.

The UK know they have had about 42K deaths.

The UK know infection rates are rising.

The UK know hospital cases are rising.

The UK know covid related deaths are rising.

The UK know that further restrictions have to be imposed.

Thailand has a population slightly larger than the UK but Thailand do not KNOW anything, or so some would have us believe, so NO further restrictions need to be imposed.

Reality is people tend to know when they are sick and when I went to the hospital a couple of weeks ago it was virtually deserted, Chonburi province was one of the covid hotspots.

Thanks for the link interesting read. Not withstanding these investigations etc, my point has always been about RISK, indeed all these studies and investigations back this up. At the end of the day, it's all about ones risk appetite and "perceived", or (Versus) "actual" vulnerability. Even this report author writes "We believe most people have mild or NO symptoms of infection with coronavirus but a small proportion will fall very ill" Personally I don't believe it was necessary to trash an economy because my neighbour has underlying health conditions (and can therefore be shielded) I don't believe that folk should have been made unemployed, others loose their life long work in building a sustainable business (probably employing others), I don't believe that medical treatments/operations should have been cancelled and folk not getting the medical treatment they need and have now either died, or their health has deteriorated. I accept that many will run to the hills in panic and fear, that's their choice, but I have a very different interpretation of all this and that's also my choice.

18 hours ago, DaveCW said:

Thanks for the link interesting read. Not withstanding these investigations etc, my point has always been about RISK, indeed all these studies and investigations back this up. At the end of the day, it's all about ones risk appetite and "perceived", or (Versus) "actual" vulnerability. Even this report author writes "We believe most people have mild or NO symptoms of infection with coronavirus but a small proportion will fall very ill" Personally I don't believe it was necessary to trash an economy because my neighbour has underlying health conditions (and can therefore be shielded) I don't believe that folk should have been made unemployed, others loose their life long work in building a sustainable business (probably employing others), I don't believe that medical treatments/operations should have been cancelled and folk not getting the medical treatment they need and have now either died, or their health has deteriorated. I accept that many will run to the hills in panic and fear, that's their choice, but I have a very different interpretation of all this and that's also my choice.

Nobody in Thailand is not getting the medical treatment they need as a result of covid, the hospitals are fairly quiet compared to what they used to be. My niece is a junior doctor at a fairly large government hospital in Bangkok.

Around 13% of the Thai population are over 65, a medical condition in itself, but as you said, free to consider self interest over everything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Nobody in Thailand is not getting the medical treatment they need as a result of covid, the hospitals are fairly quiet compared to what they used to be. My niece is a junior doctor at a fairly large government hospital in Bangkok.

Around 13% of the Thai population are over 65, a medical condition in itself, but as you said, free to consider self interest over everything else.

Yes, sure. 

Accept CoviD-19 as karma and try to make the best for yourself out of it. 

Thailand did, and so should farangs. 

Edited by micmichd