Medical experts see Covid-19 risk for Thailand from foreigners

snoop1130

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Also know as sliding right on the top of the poverty curve. Works, but unpleasant. I doubt Thais after being used to McDonalds and Starbucks are willing to go back to chewing khauniauw.

There seems to be an axiom being used often on this forum, that foreigners are needed as Thais don't want the work. Is this true? Was it always true? And an observation is, that unemployed through covid circumstances and therefore "poor", Thais can't be that poor to turn down any kind of employment, albeit temporary, that would have some impact on their actual/publicly perceived status.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PatOngo said:

With a population in excess of 65 million, why does Thailand even need to bring laborers from neighbouring countries? Could it be that the neighbours provide better quality, more reliable/energetic labor! ???? 

and cheaper wages

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

There seems to be an axiom being used often on this forum, that foreigners are needed as Thais don't want the work. Is this true? Was it always true? And an observation is, that unemployed through covid circumstances and therefore "poor", Thais can't be that poor to turn down any kind of employment, albeit temporary, that would have some impact on their actual/publicly perceived status.

Guess Thais would be happier with a Mac Job than be unemployed. And their happier with their Thai families than to live on handouts. 

Of course, Thailand is an ageing society, too. But with their strong family ties they will survive. 

Not so sure about Europe where you'll soon face youth rioting against the old. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Ouch! Thirty years eh? I feel your pain, I truly do. I only managed two, maybe three months tops of the brain numbing banality and low prestige of working in Thailand. Is that why you are so upset?

I chose to work and make my money and build my professional reputation in the real world and reserved this parochial wee backwater called Thailand for relaxing, beer and skittles.

You truly are an inspiration, pity no one listens to you!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mark131v said:

In other words lets turn the clock back 200 years when the serfs knew their place bet they wish they could turn off the internet that would be game, set and match!!

Mark131tv, the net was tightening on the foreigner before this virus, after many years in Thailand I went home early last year and then could'nt return on my flight in March. If they continue like this they might as well declare it Year 0. Judging by Pattaya many have already returned to the fields.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

3600 viral pneumonia deaths of unknown cause when they stopped publishing the data in March and 433000 cases under investigation of which no follow up information has been forthcoming.That should give you an indication of what really happened in Thailand unless you believe the nonsense this administration  publishes after all the mainstream media is owned by the same boys in green who run the show.

Where is your figure for covid related deaths?

Of course there is always the option to turn to unsubstantiated assumptions.

22 hours ago, PatOngo said:

With a population in excess of 65 million, why does Thailand even need to bring laborers from neighbouring countries? Could it be that the neighbours provide better quality, more reliable/energetic labor! ???? 

A lot of truth in that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Lingba said:

and cheaper wages

Of course they  (Myanmar, Lao, Khmer) work for cheaper wages, the point is, how many Thai's choose to sit on their lazy butts and watch rice grow than have a go and at least earn something ?

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I don't see the word 'farang' anywhere in the referenced OP.

Now if some lonely farang sociopaths with fragile ego's and an overinflated sense of their societal value here have introduced it in the interim four pages, then that's par for the course IMHO.

sorry i thought foreigners were called ferang  

5 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

There’s an English word , 'blinkered' for being unable to understand 'context'. 

You mean like the context of using road deaths as some sort of excuse for low covid figures.

Two separate issues that require separate solutions, there is no "proportionality" between the two.

The "blinkered" are those that fail to recognise the difference.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you would test the public you would see that Thais have Covid already and are asymptomatic.  This is getting so old. 

The mass testing that has been done just doesn't show this. 7000+ in Rayong, 1000+ following the DJ and footballer cases are ALL negative. Any significant number of asymptomatic carriers will untimately lead to infection of others that cause symptoms. What is getting old is your diatribe.

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You mean like the context of using road deaths as some sort of excuse for low covid figures.

Two separate issues that require separate solutions, there is no "proportionality" between the two.

'Contrast' - another word for you to look up. Contrast the respective avoidance measures ,economic impact and costs  to achieve the commonality of fewer deaths . Or are you still struggling to grasp that deaths (or avoidance thereof) is the common theme.?

• Like 1

What he states is correct. But I don't understand what planet he lives on. This is a coronavirus!  It WILL eventually be endemic within Thailand and all the current efforts are just postponing the inevitable. Sad but very probably true. So, Thailand will have pushed itself into serious poverty for fear of something that can't be avoided. More mindfulness is required by the political leaders so that they can better understand the reasons they are making bad decisions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Puzzler said:

What he states is correct. But I don't understand what planet he lives on. This is a coronavirus!  It WILL eventually be endemic within Thailand and all the current efforts are just postponing the inevitable. Sad but very probably true. So, Thailand will have pushed itself into serious poverty for fear of something that can't be avoided. More mindfulness is required by the political leaders so that they can better understand the reasons they are making bad decisions.

He's a medical advisor, not a lawmaker. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

To quote ZZ Top "driving while blind" seems rather an apt description which could also describe what most governments are doing in this pandemic!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The idea of walling away from the outside world, however reasonable it may sound, is inhuman in its essence. You there , you may die, we, meanwhile are better than you, smarter than you, luckier than you - we will live on. And this attitude is caused by the relatively week virus alone. I am afraid to imagine what may happen in case of something more deadly and serious shows up. The foreigners might then be exterminated only for being foreigners and all kind of ‘intellectual elites’ will explain to the masses why such treatment is fully justified.

It is not only CoviD-19. 

Have you got any idea how often I heard Germans call Thais worthless alphabetic monkeys that don't deserve a look even when they are bleeding in the streets? 

Arrogant stupid Germans that can't even speak their own language and call me arrogant because I'm an intellectual. And stupid or even a pedophile because I tried to save Thai childrens' lives. 

Any idea how that feels? 

How come you expect Thais to follow a Golden Rule when you never did? 

Because you think you're better than Thais? 

• Thanks 1

Very  Sad I  hope  they find  a vacine soon  but worry  will  normal  Thaia,s even get it  

I am sure like the  tests  they will have to  pay for it  and by then  many  will not be able to afford it 

Perhaps  world  health will give for  free  

MMMM   maybe  but those  in power  will still want to charge  for it I  am sure 

Good  Luck  Thailand 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

Very  Sad I  hope  they find  a vacine soon  but worry  will  normal  Thaia,s even get it  

I am sure like the  tests  they will have to  pay for it  and by then  many  will not be able to afford it 

Perhaps  world  health will give for  free  

MMMM   maybe  but those  in power  will still want to charge  for it I  am sure 

Good  Luck  Thailand 

I think in most places they are saying it's going to be free,that is to say it will be paid for by tax payers money at what ever price is demanded by the companies that are not providing it free of charge.So it will not be free as medicine is a business and quite a profitable one from what I've heard.

• Like 1