BANGKOK
Daffy D

Electric Motorbike Any Opinions ?

The small branch of SCB at my local Tesco closed down :sad: Still they were kind enough to leave one ATM which was nice so I don't have to go miles to the main branch to withdraw money :thumbsup:   Except once a year for my Immigration letter :guitar:

Anyway the space left by the now gone SCB has been taken over by a showroom of electric bikes.

At first glance it looked like all they had was various forms of electric bikes and mobility scooters things. Today at the back I noticed they had a couple of what looked like proper bikes which at first I thought were your regular petrol bikes but looking closer they were in fact electric also. 

Seems reasonable I guess as it is an electric vehicle shop :whistling:

Anyways, our little shopping Fino must be nearly 15 years old, and though still going strong no harm in looking round for a replacement.

So anyone have have any experience with an electric bike they would like to share?

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/

SuperAce-head.jpg.b3ddde00e0f820b75cf6cc5a37d2bf4c.jpg

Looks like a proper bike don'it :thumbsup:

i had one a while ago, the batteries are the let down, as is the lack of number plates, for the cost better to go for a petrol bike, true tried and tested

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

i had one a while ago, the batteries are the let down, as is the lack of number plates, for the cost better to go for a petrol bike, true tried and tested

What was the make of your bike?

Looking at the web page seems these are now able to be registered so can get a number plate.  

IMHO What Steve 187 said. 

I understand the problem with electric cars and presumably electric bikes is the battery life of 8 - 10 years, and the replacement costs can be eye-watering.

Interesting video, the black bike is the one I posted and seems to be top of their range, both bikes are from the same company. Does not seem to be Chinese.

From their Web Page:-  https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/

"We are cooperating with LAIKE, Taiwanese manufacturer of electric motorcycle with 15 years of experience in electric motorcycles and ISO 9001: 2008 certificate. It has been ranked number 1 in Taiwan for 3 years (2014-2016). We are aiming on the production of parts in Thailand such as car frame, electric control box, charger, or even the development of batteries and solar cells to recharge and controls the production to meet the ISO quality."

The price of bikes is between 40K-50K.

There are some on Lazada cost about 20K but I don't think they are in the same class :whistling:

4 hours ago, beddhist said:

For around town electric is a no-brainer. If it's Chinese-made, however, then the question of reliability raises its ugly head. With next to no consumer protection here I would expect the warranty to expire as soon the bike leaves the premises.

Here is a review of two scooters in Thailand by a guy who drives EVs for a living:

One of them looks like the one you saw.

That's a converted zoomer and scoopy so basically honda with electric.

I had one that looked exactly like that in China.  It was a Flying Pigeon brand.  Don't laugh... At one time they were the #1 bicycle brand in China (which is saying a lot- millions of bikes a year), and their factory was 2 miles away from my home in Tianjin.

That said, there are hundreds of Chinese factories making E-Bikes that look pretty much the same.  It's a common design.  And, BTW, it's quite possible to be in the E-Bike business and not make a thing.  Buy the frame and fairings from one company, the wheels from another, the motor from another, the controls from another, and have it all painted and assembled by yet another...  You get the point.

Mine was 48V and had a 450 watt motor.  It was adequate for dedicated bike lanes, but nowhere near fast enough to take into regular traffic.  Which was fine, because bikes in Tianjin CBD weren't allowed in the main traffic lanes- not even gas bikes at that time.  I got about 20km on a charge when the batteries were new, and binned them when they got down to 10-15km per charge.  I rode it for about 4-5 years, with the batteries lasting almost 2 years.  Then I gave it to my GF's sister's family and they rode it another 4 years or so.

Nowadays, they're making 60V, 72V and even 96V E-scooters, so it's a different game.  I'd strongly suggest riding the bike, and not buying one from the interweb, unless you're looking for a bicycle alternative and NOT a scooter to take into traffic.  They may look zoomie like a gas scooter, but they're not even close when it comes to acceleration and top speed.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

That's a converted zoomer and scoopy so basically honda with electric.

Not even close to the same performance...

11 hours ago, beddhist said:

For around town electric is a no-brainer. If it's Chinese-made, however, then the question of reliability raises its ugly head. With next to no consumer protection here I would expect the warranty to expire as soon the bike leaves the premises.

Here is a review of two scooters in Thailand by a guy who drives EVs for a living:

One of them looks like the one you saw.

52,000thb for the ace and 39,000thb for the sofia, 

new honda click 125cc from 51,000thb, to be competitive they would need both the bike and batteries to be cheaper, and the registration needs to be sorted.

I have also been looking for an electric bike for some time, and it seems to me that Deco Super Ace, or Deco Sylla seems to be the best option presently.

At 49-52 k they are the same cost as a Fino, but they only cost 300 thb/5000 km to drive, where fino will cost 2500. No frequent oil change, and most importantly, you wont be making a great big racket as you drive down the village road. Might even hear the birds.

Fino has an engine of 7-8 kW, where Deco only has 2 kW, but electric motors usually have better torque at lower rpm, which you use most of the time. Only a test drive can tell you how it feels, and thats how far i got. Cant seem to find anywhere to test or rent one?

There is also Toyotron that has a few 3 kW motor versions, but at 85k, and lead-acid battery, its not competitive.

https://www.electricbikesthailand.com/toyotron

We may just have to wait for Gogoro to come to Thailand.

The S3 has 7,6 kW motor and will leave any 125 cc behind. Also has fast battery swap, but cost is almost 100k

https://www.gogoro.com/smartscooter/s-performance/s3/

17 minutes ago, Elik said:

cost is almost 100k

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I guess that's because Gogoro is not going for ultra low budget which shows in these other companies' fit'n'finish. All those cheap electric scooters that I have seen so far in Thailand had very questionable quality just by looking at them. Gogoro seems pretty decent. But at 100k they are not very competitive in Thailand. The second thing they need is proper marketing with test ride events to show people why they'd want them. Oh and of course the small thing called dealer network.

IMHO the government should give big incentives for battery production (and recycling) to happen in Thailand and support the transition to electric cars. Because that's the major cost of all e-vehicles and will be one of the key technologies in the mid term. The rest is easy. But I guess with the bank accounts heavily drained due to Covid we wont see that transition in the near term.

I think in the next 10 years we'll see battery tech come finally to a point where they can provide enough range, charging speed and price to replace combustion engines. There has been tremendous progress in the past decade and it's getting close.

But we're not there yet.

• Like 2

Thank you people, appreciate the input  :thumbsup:

Our old Fino still has some miles left in her so ain't actually looking to buy just yet, just wanted to get a feel of the market.

As already mentioned technology is constantly improving. who knows where we will be with better cheaper batteries and possibly Government subsidies, but wouldn't hold my breath on that one :whistling: