Electric Motorbike Any Opinions ?

Daffy D

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Batteries don't have to be 20 yrs old to be tested how long they last.

They test how many cycles they have, what the average use / yearly kms will be, and make a practical calculation.

If my DECO SUSU battery gets 1500 cycles, and is rated at 120 kms per cycle, then theoretically, I should get 180k kms.  1 year owning, and I drove 3500 kms.  That's my daily driving, say 200+ days a year.

Gives my 51+ years of use.  Do I expect, 1500 cycles, maybe, as I do baby it.  Do I get 120 kms per charge, NO.  51 years ... doubtful, but I'd be more than pleased with just half that.

Do the same for my solar system & EV, and both will probably out last myself for sure, and probably the wife.  That's about 30 yrs, and might still have some juice left.

You may be right. Having said that, there is a difference between testing under laboratory conditions, and actual field performance. I've seen it many times.

I guess it depends on how many bean counters are involved in the design of EV's, and whether the engineers can tell them to get lost.

It's probably irrelevant in my case, my Vios may well outlast me. If not, plenty of time to climb on board without being a lab rat.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. Having said that, there is a difference between testing under laboratory conditions, and actual field performance. I've seen it many times.

I guess it depends on how many bean counters are involved in the design of EV's, and whether the engineers can tell them to get lost.

It's probably irrelevant in my case, my Vios may well outlast me. If not, plenty of time to climb on board without being a lab rat.

You don't even need lab tests, many EV batteries are based on tech that's been around for quite a while in standard Li-Ion cells and we know how they degrade. And manufacturers who actually are confident in their tech give 10 year warranties which imho is the exact right thing to do in order to help with consumer confidence. I wouldn't buy an EV without such warranty.

That being said, I don't see warranties like that from small not well known manufacturers and even if they did I'm not sure I'd trust them to be around in 10 years and to honor it. Deco says the batteries need replacing every 3-5 years which is not great.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Finally

Although the one I have, SUSU, is now ฿9,000 (82.9k vs 73.9k) ????

SUSU ... no gov't incentive, or missing from photo.

Others, price increase, more to do with the market, as most other e-scooters are more expensive, so up 7-8-9k, then about 9-11k less off 'original/last year's price' with the govt incentive, so still nice pricing.

AND ... they are registered / tagged.

1000w for less than 29k ... nice

And 1000w models have removable batteries for condo/apartment dwellers.

A few new prices, and couple new models.

Last year's prices, w/new ones noted:

Deco price UP.jpg

The Susu does have a rebate from the government, list price now 63640 according to the Deco website.

I took the punt and bought a G-3. Will report back later with my impressions once I get a few km's on the clock.

The Susu would have been my preferred option with the bigger engine (3000w) and large single battery, but the battery isn't removable, unfortunately. As other posters have mentioned, a removable battery is the only way most condo folks would be able to go electric

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well i just took delivery of a Deko Sofia the blue bike in the youtube vid, didnt start well.....half a Km after delivery strong rubber burnt smell no more move.

They replaced with a completely new bike the next day, delivered etc, TGF took it for a short spin on accepting then in the evening we jump on for a small trip down the road, flat tire in the same position the break down the previous night, less than half a km.

Contacted the shop about the flat they just said go pump it up, not on as the tire is off the rim air will just pee out the sides without a seal and tube, still waiting to find out what there going to do about it so this could be the problem, the after sales and service of these bikes, my point is the slack preparation to make sure the bike is functioning like it should, ok the motor or clutch or what ever the issue  first time is just bad luck but seriously delivering a bike with low pressure in the tires and i felt it right away when i got on the back is purly poor by the seller, if they didnt bother to check tire pressure what else didnt they check?

Anyway they claim its Chinese parts assembled in Thailand, think i seen its mainly Taiwanese parts but not sure, motor has a 3 year warranty, battery 2 ys and electrical wiring 1y, there is a light and usb in the battery/storage compartment, i know the light is not working.....build or assemble quality is begging to look shoddy.....

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 2:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Ist gear ~55 km/h, 2nd gear ~65 km/h, 3rd gear ~80 km/h according to the speedo. The 'S' button will temporarily boost speed up in all gears by about 15 km/h or so for about 30 seconds before coming back down to the speed of the gear you are currently in. 

I have to say I don't get the point of the mode/gears.

There is no difference in acceleration, it seems to work only a speed limiter.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Elik said:

I have to say I don't get the point of the mode/gears.

There is no difference in acceleration, it seems to work only a speed limiter.

That's about it, and no different than a manual transmission, as can only go so fast in any one gear.  

Guess it something to do with amount of volts/amps needed to go at higher speed.  Just like a ICE manual transmission, the torque/take off speed, is less, if in a higher gear/mode, when starting from a stop.  Top speed limited, if not in 'top mode'

Unlike our EV car, no progressive modes 'while' driving, just mode to 'drive in' (eco, normal, sport).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Took note of the range, of our DECO SUSU model, older version, 3000w motor/72v50Ah LFP battery.  New version, battery slightly updated.

Took it down to 1 bar (no % meter), though photo show 2, but any acceleration, and the second bar quickly disappears.  So a solid 1 bar, and 80 kms traveled over 7 days.   Could probably squeeze 15-20 more kms, from 1 bar, but 80 kms is far enough, and I probably wouldn't take 10 more kms, as a bit of battery abuse.   I rarely go below 3 bars before recharging.

So 90-100 km range, if needing, much less than the 140-150 kms in 'old' promo.  Although, 100 kg load, and not driving 35 kph, steady, w/no head wind.  Actually more than the manual states, but much less than DECO's promo.

Happy with 80 kms, as no desire to be on a scooter for anywhere near an hour.  Dog & myself, rarely drive more than 50 kph.  Wife was also on the scooter with me this past week also, 1 day, out for a munch.  That's rare, as we usually take the car, which was charging for the past 3 days.  So the scooter does come in handy, besides my morning dog run to the park & surf.

image.png.1ec6db5c4b93bbfa3f12e448c75dc09c.png

• Like 1

Wish I'd gone with the Susu model instead on the G-5 now. That extra range is worth it I reckon. A Hua Hin - Cha-am round trip needs a complete 100% charge.

Admittedly that's doing ~60km/h in 3rd gear and a 95-110 kg load depending on how much shopping I've done.

Still, I would have hoped for a longer range.

• Thumbs Up 1

there's a chinese outfit called Luyuan.....they've got together with some Thais and are selling the S30 plus over here for 81k baht....the outfit is called Lyva

AND you could have had it for 51k baht at the motor show

https://motortrivia.com/2023/03/lyva-ev-motorcycles-launches-in-bims-2023/

I think I might have even been tempted off my push bike at that price ????

36-LYVA-S30-Plus-and-MB5-2023.jpg

Lyva: A small fraction of the power of a Honda Click at higher price with only 2 year warranty on battery (bad sign) and under 100km range with long charging times and no dealer network. They still have ways to go before many people will make the switch to electric scooters, especially from new unknown brands. While we've seen a lot of improvements with electric cars the past years I feel like not the same has happened with scooters. Seen them for sale in many places but so far I've seen only 3 in the real world, one being a Grab delivery driver, a usecase which I think is actually a pretty decent fit.

47 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Lyva: A small fraction of the power of a Honda Click at higher price with only 2 year warranty on battery (bad sign) and under 100km range with long charging times and no dealer network. They still have ways to go before many people will make the switch to electric scooters, especially from new unknown brands. While we've seen a lot of improvements with electric cars the past years I feel like not the same has happened with scooters. Seen them for sale in many places but so far I've seen only 3 in the real world, one being a Grab delivery driver, a usecase which I think is actually a pretty decent fit.

Unless spending a lot of money, you're not going far or fast (top end) on electric MB/MC in TH, or anywhere.

They're offered elsewhere for same or more than the price of a car.  (# 8, 12, 13 ???)

https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/cars/best-electric-motorcycles-2022/

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

DECO SUSU model, and shy of 2 yrs owning, I'm bored, so early report.  Maybe a month early, as have photo of, Sept 2021.

Motor warranty will expire shortly, and have 1 yr left on the battery, which from above post, if lost anything, not noticeable.

Have about 5500 kms on it, which means I drive that about half the time, on my daily, morning park/surfside cruise.  5500÷730 days, so rain & brutally hot keeps me & dog off it, half the days.

Me & wife have taken some local cruises on it, and <1 hr probably.  

Only 1 oops, turning signal relay crapped out, and they sent it straight away, overnight.  Swapped it out myself, as easier and quicker than dealer doing, since 70 kms away.   Wife told me, that we now have a local dealer @ Yamaha/Honda & other, scooter shop.

Very happy with it, performance, fun to ride & cost to operate, with no maintenance.  Registered/tagged & insured (basic).

image.png.ad9b833e0e19747a6db343476fe0c034.png

Recommend the brand, and E-MBs themselves, as long as you don't plan on going too fast (top end) or too far.   They also qualify for govt incentives. 

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/

decoDiscount.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

Four years ago, I bought a cheap (B12,000) Thai E-Bike.  It was kind of a parts-bin special, all generic Chinese components assembled by a short-lived Thai distributor: Empire E-Bike.  It had 16" wheels and looked more like a kids bicycle.  It folded for transport and storage but it folded awkwardly, was 35kg and was very difficult to move around.   The battery was removable for charging. 

Wheel rims were garbage and tires were constantly flat. It rode ok, went up hills without effort but I could not go more than 1km without a flat tire.   It was stored outside and the weather got to the control unit pretty quickly.  I was unable to find a matching replacement and I ended-up giving it away to my condo security guard.

A couple of take-aways:

-Lot's of places selling E-Bikes, very few places skilled at fixing them.  Sourcing specific parts very difficult.

-My E-Bike looked like a bicycle and I never drew any notice from police even though no registration.

A neighbor in my condo had one that looked like a motorbike and he did draw the attention of police several times who noted the lack of registration plate.  Always cost him to get out of it.

-I originally rode mine in Bangkok traffic and found it very scary and dangerous.  It was too slow when I had to turn right out of my soi, across 2 lanes of traffic and it was difficult to keep up with traffic flow.  It was not as bad when I moved to Jomtien but I was never comfortable with it's slow response.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, dddave said:

Four years ago, I bought a cheap (B12,000) Thai E-Bike.  It was kind of a parts-bin special, all generic Chinese components assembled by a short-lived Thai distributor: Empire E-Bike.  It had 16" wheels and looked more like a kids bicycle.  It folded for transport and storage but it folded awkwardly, was 35kg and was very difficult to move around.   The battery was removable for charging. 

Wheel rims were garbage and tires were constantly flat. It rode ok, went up hills without effort but I could not go more than 1km without a flat tire.   It was stored outside and the weather got to the control unit pretty quickly.  I was unable to find a matching replacement and I ended-up giving it away to my condo security guard.

A couple of take-aways:

-Lot's of places selling E-Bikes, very few places skilled at fixing them.  Sourcing specific parts very difficult.

-My E-Bike looked like a bicycle and I never drew any notice from police even though no registration.

A neighbor in my condo had one that looked like a motorbike and he did draw the attention of police several times who noted the lack of registration plate.  Always cost him to get out of it.

-I originally rode mine in Bangkok traffic and found it very scary and dangerous.  It was too slow when I had to turn right out of my soi, across 2 lanes of traffic and it was difficult to keep up with traffic flow.  It was not as bad when I moved to Jomtien but I was never comfortable with it's slow response.

A lot has changed, for the good in four years, but also, a lot hasn't, as market is flooded with E-scooters (stand up), ebikes, and ebikes (in name only), and more like mini MBs, just happen to have pedals.  With different battery chemistries. 

Really have read the specs, and know what you are buying.  Some of the specs are silly & deceptive.  Range ratings are always at a low speed. As are speed ratings, with low load, or even without load ????

Need to know battery size for motor.  I see a lot that advertise way over their capabilities with the specs.  Battery v/Ah has to match or exceed your motor size at least or you're not going very fast or far.  V X Ah = W.

Mine for example, has upgrade battery now, a wee bit.

Motor 3000w
Battery Type LITHIUM
Battery/Battery Capacity 73v/58Ah

73v X 58Ah = 4234w ????

A very simplistic guide, with other factors, weight/load, controller.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

My ICE Honda is very fast, reliable and does 150 mpg, with no danger of being burnt alive. Why would anyone even consider an electric bike.

After having the E-MB, would never consider one with ICE.  Performance, ease of automatic and smooth ride vs top end or range, both I don't need in a MB. 

No real complaints about my Honda Wave, but I didn't enjoy riding it, or maintaining it, or putting petrol in it to ride.

Plus I get that warm and fuzzy feeling, from not adding to the local air & noise pollution with EV.  Which disgust me when I'm in traffic with the ICEVs.

That's just arrogant & rude ... ????  After the light changes, thankfully, they are all behind me ????  Did I mention performance ?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Battery v/Ah has to match or exceed your motor size at least or you're not going very fast or far.  V X Ah = W.

Mine for example, has upgrade battery now, a wee bit.

Motor 3000w
Battery Type LITHIUM
Battery/Battery Capacity 73v/58Ah

73v X 58Ah = 4234w ????

V * Ah = Wh. That's the capacity of the battery. 4.23 kWh. We'd need to know if the battery can deliver more than 41A (3000W / 73V) to know if the motor can actually be fully utilized.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

V * Ah = Wh. That's the capacity of the battery. 4.23 kWh. We'd need to know if the battery can deliver more than 41A (3000W / 73V) to know if the motor can actually be fully utilized.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A very simplistic guide, with other factors, weight/load, controller.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2023 at 12:58 PM, KhunLA said:

DECO SUSU model, and shy of 2 yrs owning, I'm bored, so early report.  Maybe a month early, as have photo of, Sept 2021.

Motor warranty will expire shortly, and have 1 yr left on the battery, which from above post, if lost anything, not noticeable.

Have about 5500 kms on it, which means I drive that about half the time, on my daily, morning park/surfside cruise.  5500÷730 days, so rain & brutally hot keeps me & dog off it, half the days.

Me & wife have taken some local cruises on it, and <1 hr probably.  

Only 1 oops, turning signal relay crapped out, and they sent it straight away, overnight.  Swapped it out myself, as easier and quicker than dealer doing, since 70 kms away.   Wife told me, that we now have a local dealer @ Yamaha/Honda & other, scooter shop.

Very happy with it, performance, fun to ride & cost to operate, with no maintenance.  Registered/tagged & insured (basic).

image.png.ad9b833e0e19747a6db343476fe0c034.png

Recommend the brand, and E-MBs themselves, as long as you don't plan on going too fast (top end) or too far.   They also qualify for govt incentives. 

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/

decoDiscount.jpg

2 years owning our DECO SUSU and (nothing changed from earlier post, a few posts above, and one after, with info) except motor warranty now expired ????

Another year on the battery warranty, and don't expect any surprises.  

More accurate kms on the clock, as we did an O&A, so didn't drive as much as I thought in earlier post.  Since the scooter is used more for my morning local cruise to park & surf.  Not exactly racking up the kms on it.

image.png.4e778906d798534d738c19f1c578944f.png

Edited by KhunLA