Retirement too early ?

superal

I read an article about a lady who had suffered age discrimination since her late 40s . Then in her early 60s started her own cosmetics company aimed at older ladies and the business rocketed to a multi million dollar empire . All because she had a free reign to express her talents and experience which had previously been subdued by previous employers .

The article then went on to reveal the global trend of potential retirees working on into their 60s  70s  80s  and even 90s  .  The  main point being made was the valuable work life experience being tapped into and those who continued to work beyond their normal mark . 

I reckon there will be quite a few TV members who either regret retiring too early or would love to have passed on their skills / experiences  to younger folks .

Tis strange cos I still receive job offers by email but if they knew I am in my 70s they would not bother mailing . I did one time follow an offer up where the job spec was very high and not really obtainable by a young guy but when my age was found out  all correspondence ceased . 

I look forward to your opinions on early retirement and any regrets .

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

When you run out of money and unable to work. You will wish you saved/worked more.

Problem is a lot of people will not want or feel healthy enough to work in their 60's, that's why they call it retirement. Mental decline is a major. Also you won't want to risk your last saving on a business that might fail.

Lastly inflation could be killer, if you don't invest your saving, even worse losing your investment...

Deflation has been declining since the early 80's.  Globalization of trade has resulted in an ocean of liquidity in the world.  German bunds currently offer negative yields at all maturities out to 30 years.  It's time to get over the fear of inflation that the 70's put into you.  

Ps.  If your assets are in one currency while your liabilities are in another currency risk is likely to dwarf inflation risk.

image.png.c724b0b2a8fde012d2299eeac5e6cf3e.png

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Deflation has been declining since the early 80's.  Globalization of trade has resulted in an ocean of liquidity in the world.  German bunds currently offer negative yields at all maturities out to 30 years.  It's time to get over the fear of inflation that the 70's put into you.  

Ps.  If your assets are in one currency while your liabilities are in another currency risk is likely to dwarf inflation risk.

image.png.c724b0b2a8fde012d2299eeac5e6cf3e.png

That is so very true ... I aim to keep about a 50-50 split. When the house in Thailand was bought the exchange rate was 72thb per 1gbp!  It is difficult to forecast RPI in the long term and now even more so...

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

Saw some interesting research yesterday.  It may be of interest to those who are presently invested, or may be looking to invest.  A chart displayed a matrix along a linear graph, running from bottom left to top right, showing reward/risk for 4 different asset class options: bonds (treasuries), gold, stocks (the S & P), and

Bitcoin (BTC).

As one would expect, bonds were fairly safe, although not 100% safe, but offering the lowest reward.  Further up the slope was gold, higher risk with higher reward.  At the top of the graph was the S & P, an even higher reward potential, but a higher risk still, with a 40% chance of losing money.

Lastly, BTC, where the research examined the position of someone who put 1% of their funds into BTC, and 99% into cash, cash being a kind of neutral investment because the small interest one can derive from it is largely off-set by inflation.  Now, here's the kicker:

This last option had the LOWEST risk of all of the asset classes, and the HIGHEST reward.  For those who are worried about BTC volatility, it is negated by the bulk of the holdings in CASH.  BTC has been the best performing asset class this year, and for the previous 10.

Just sayin' . . .

Edited by allanos
typo

38 minutes ago, allanos said:

Lastly, BTC, where the research examined the position of someone who put 1% of their funds into BTC, and 99%

using 1% of your funds is barely investing and BTC has not been around long enough to have any valid results... 

and since 99% of your results are the equivalent of cash, the differential between 100% cash is miniscule... 

something seems quite off in your figuring... 

using 1% of your funds is barely investing and BTC has not been around long enough to have any valid results... 

and since 99% of your results are the equivalent of cash, the differential between 100% cash is miniscule... 

You're too quick to show how clever you are.
Clearly, 1% is illustrative, and is used simply to reassure those concerned about volatility.  If one has a higher risk profile, then an
amount invested in Bitcoin can obviously be higher, with the cash amount reduced proportionately. My own holdings in BTC are
around 10-12% of my total wealth. The truth of the situation is still that the BTC/ cash ratio in the illustration shows the best return/risk of all the asset classes discussed. 
I figure investment returns over a ten year timeline is sufficient to prove a decent track record. Others may disagree.
It's horses for courses, after all. Good luck with your investment on Blue Butter in the three-thirty!
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, allanos said:

Clearly, 1% is illustrative, and is used simply to reassure those concerned about volatility. 

you mean like when BTC went from 19,000 to 3,200 in a year... why? are there any fundamentals behind this? 

2 hours ago, allanos said:

Others may disagree.

and still others have no idea what it is or how to turn it into actual money if you have it... can my wife use it at the grocery store? What % of the population know what it is? At least Tesla makes cars... if BTC disappeared tomorrow, what would the world lose? 

On 9/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, worgeordie said:

I cannot understand people who want to keep on working when they

have more than enough money to be living the good life.

I would probably been dead already if i had still been running businesses

back in the UK, retired 33 years ago when i thought i had enough to retire

on,no regrets, hard work never killed anyone...somebody was lying.

Imagine trying to run a business into days World,bloody hard.

regards worgeordie

Trouble is, how do you know when you have enough?  Life has a way of changing your expectations.

• Like 1