State Quarantine Experience - LHR to BKK

pazienza

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what time to queue up at LHR. My wife is on Sundays flight and I've prepped her by showing her a couple of vlogs on Youtube about SQ. 

I have to say that she had 2 major mistakes coming from the Embassy. First they only put her name on the CoE. They sent a second email a few hours later acknowledging that had made a mistake and resent with the full name. The surname they sent to Thai Air had the surname misspelt. Her Thai passport, ID card and Thai driving license all have the correct spelling in English. I only discovered this when after paying the fare then trying to check her reservation on the links sent I could not get anything. When I queried this with Thai, within 2 hours of e-mail being sent they mailed the E-ticket. Incorrect surname. Emailed them back stating the embassy had made the mistake and included the CoE. 2 hours later new E-ticket sent with amendments correctly made. I don't often praise Thai Air but they responded professionally. 

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

my first thought when i read all this was "oh my god tourism is dead, no-one without ties, would put themselves through this <deleted>"

I agree, but remember this is State Quarantine while tourists will be in Alternative State Quarantine which appears to be slightly better.

47 minutes ago, treetops said:

I agree, but remember this is State Quarantine while tourists will be in Alternative State Quarantine which appears to be slightly better.

If you can't open your windows or leave your room it's Alternative State prison ASP ????

Thanks for sharing, nice details.

One question; you mentioned your flight was full, would you please share:

1. Your guess of the total passenger numbers, and

2. Would you please share if there was distancing, or every seat occupied.

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Wow can’t wait. Thiacatraz sounds heaps of fun. i think I’ll wait until they become more desperate I’m a few months.  

Cheers for the update, good of you. Best of luck. 

"... i think I’ll wait until they become more desperate I’m a few months."

Interesting comment, I'm having similar thoughts about waiting:

1. I am a foreigner, 76 years old coming soon, had Thai PR for 22+ years. 

2. I have severe recurring bronchitis and I've had pneumonia before.

3. I can apply for a repat flight because I hold Thai PR. 

Both 1. and 2. mean that if I catch the virus I will very likely and quickly be in ICU and chances of death are quite high.  

I got caught out of Thailand, and now sitting it out in Australia (my birth/passport country).

The number of people returning to Thailand, to Australia and many other countries who are tested on or soon after arrival and are positive for the virus is quite high.

All meaning of course that when they sitting on the flight they were positive and if they weren't totally serious about masks, hand cleaning etc., then chances of spread of the virus is high.

So better to sit it out for a while and hope there's better processes developed and a vaccine is approved and large numbers are being inoculated.  Having had the jab would (one would hope) be a strong bonus when flying with others who are positive.

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If you can't open your windows or leave your room it's Alternative State prison ASP ????

At least in prison they give you an hour in the yard each day.  This sounds like 2 weeks of solitary confinement, with wifi.

34 minutes ago, lou norman said:

Don't know if this helps. but... I left Chicago on the 9th. Flight to Korea was 30% full. In Korea the plane filled (mostly Thai). Every seat taken.

I thought as much, few friends from UK are holidaying in Europe and planes are full, no distancing whatsoever....seems pretty pointless all the measures at check in and after when the actual flight you are sat less than an inch from someone....

10 hours ago, treetops said:

have to lol at your optimism but Quarantine is quarantine be it State or Alternative your not exactly going to be allowed to use hotel facilitys so it has not impact which 1 you in.

Still locked up for 14 days

18 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

have to lol at your optimism but Quarantine is quarantine be it State or Alternative your not exactly going to be allowed to use hotel facilitys so it has not impact which 1 you in.

Still locked up for 14 days

Not completely correct as many reports indicate controlled use of the facilities being allowed.  Even the OP stated:

I enquired if I would be able to leave my room should the test results come back negative (I'd read here that some hotels allowed it). No dice, there's CCTV cameras down the hallway and I overheard them warning my neighbour for daring to step out into the hallway.

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only question not asked or answered was, did your purchased bottle of Whiskey make it to the room with you and are you having a tipple now and then to ease the stress.

One shot a day just might last him

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, pazienza said:

As I write this, I am on day 4 of my state quarantine.

I, for one, am glad that the Thai government, in their wisdom, are keeping you locked up and protecting the people of Thailand from your filthy emissions.

Clearly the generals have watched "Train to Busan" and have decided to say a firm "No way, mister!" to that sort of thing.

Edited by Poet
  • Sad 1