Getting rid of the small lizards?

beddhist

I like the little geckos, I really do. But we don't like their droppings everywhere. The house is pretty well sealed, with fly screens on all windows and a rubber strip on the bottom of the back door. We have manually caught and evicted quite a few, but I think they breed inside and our workshop, which is not sealed so well must have a whole colony.

So is there a way to get rid of them inside?

The downside is droppings the upside is that you might have less mozzies ?

They are a problem. I have had them drop off the ceiling on me in bed and I would hate to have that happen when my mouth is wide open snoring...

A quick internet search I found this statement - see if that works?

"Lizards despise the smell of Eucalyptus and Peppermint Essential Oil – so use them to make a spray that you can spray around the baseboards of the house and on the outside of the house near the foundation. ... Then add 15 drops of each Eucalyptus or Peppermint and spray away."

• Haha 2

Just now, beddhist said:

No, I'm not exaggerating about the droppings.

On Shopee I see a lot of repellent advertised. Has anybody tried them, found them to work or not?

They are not particularly effective, no. You'd have to get the entire place professionally fumigated. Might be worth speaking to Rentokill about your problem. 

https://www.rentokil.co.th/

27 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Bigger one shout ! Wife brother sell that one! Chinese pay much if big one (they tail) can get 10 k! We have hunt that big one many time, wife brother catch whit hand. I kill!

Please don't be upset when you develop Malaria, or Dengue. Killing animals that are partly useful is not what I want to see, sorry. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, beddhist said:

It seems they don't touch mozzies, spiders and roaches. That makes them pretty useless bug hunters for me. But I don't want to kill them.

Do you live in Alaska? What else do they chase right in front of me on the window?

They eat mosquitoes spiders and other insects. And if you try to grab one by its tail, it bites it off and runs away. 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

When you get Malaria,Dengue fever or any of the the diseases that mosquitoes carry,

you will regret having evicted the little beggars,I am sure the "droppings everywhere" is a bit

of an exaggeration .

regards worgeordie

Thank you, sir@! It's so nice to read posts that make sense. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Don't Kill. Enjoy.

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

What else do they chase right in front of me on the window?

I will send you a photo. Just ask in an PM.

But,  geckos don't eat mosquitos!

No. - Stop telling fairy tales. Please.

Back to the OP.

First step might be to catch those tiny insects in your aerea via some glue tape.

In Thailand every small and big shop has it: 'RANGER. Strong power fly glue board.'

When there is no food, the geckos will not reproduce so much.

Then you should search for the little white eggs, placed somewhere.

Fish will love it...

Good Luck!

Some more info not to difficult to get...

Anopheles mosquito is our malaria enemy, malaria a bit seldom.

Aedes aegypti is responsible for other events (Dengue etc.), very bad!

Years ago in my BKK apartment, I got bit on the nutsack by an ant that wandered through and apparently got lost in my sheets.  Swelled up and burned for hours.

After that, I welcomed the gecko's.  Sure, there were little smudges of gecko poop on the walls.  But careful inspection showed them to be mostly dead ants and mosquitoes parts.

I even welcomed the tokays, but they did scare the beejeezus out of me late at night when they made that noise they make.

Edit:  I'd add that my apartment building was well managed and often fumigated.  The ants didn't actually live there.  But every once in awhile, they'd troop through while migrating from one end of the complex to the other.

Edited by impulse

17 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

a cat will clear your house of them in about 24 hours - they absolutely love them

and anyone who says humans are the only animals who kill for fun has never seen a cat get to work ????

But?  If you want to get rid of them cats will do the job in spades!  <meow>

1 hour ago, beddhist said:

It seems they don't touch mozzies, spiders and roaches. That makes them pretty useless bug hunters for me. But I don't want to kill them.

So what do they eat ?, I see them all the time at night where there is some light shining on the wall

eating mozzies,moths,and termites if the are swarming.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1