Nationality decides your fate!

I think getting the embassy letter and receiving a 30 days extension is still a very temporary solution. It's highly unlikely everything will return to normal within the next ~30 days. I'd be surprised if visa runs become an option again until some time next year. Anyway I hope they realize how many people will be overstaying after the 26th and offer a solution for everyone with means to remain here until the whole COVID thing blows over. E.g. something like a special monthly extension based on showing 50k in the bank for 30 days or something would be ideal, but that's of course not likely to happen.

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think most countries' representatives (embassies) in Thailand aren't "amused" that the Thai authorities demand such letters. Their reaction to this nonsense differs, which is plain for all to see.

I can't say I blame my country's embassy for not issuing any letters at all (unlike in March, when they reluctantly did). But I like the approach of the US embassy better, which basically amounts to, "You want a meaningless letter? You get a meaningless letter!" - long may it last for the sake of those who need it.

The letter agreed is only a temporary thing and might be OK to buy time to get to get funds seasoned for an extension. Sometimes one needs to realize that enough is enough. Flights home are available (I'm not sure about Australia), but EU and US are good to go.

Looks to me they are holding two doors open 1) get a Non O or extension; 2) time to leave. The 30 day extension only helps this happen.

This might be part of the reason why the US embassy started issuing letters:

Trump Considers Banning Re-entry by Citizens Who May Have Coronavirus

That's when I, and probably others, wrote the ambassador and asked him to reconsider.
  • Confused 1

My UK brothers the FCDO have bottled it. Charge for them hunt them don't step until you get the letter. [email protected]

Resize all docs ensure under 5mb total.

Uk going back I to lockdown FCDO are doing business swiftly free of charge. Your non O visa or long term visa has been impacted by CV19. Detail your grievance clearly.

Good luck.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

We are seeing the rise of the "Covid Refugee", someone who is able to return to a country where they have citizenship or valid residency, but would rather stay elsewhere, despite not having the legal right to do so. 

or as the UK press has coined the condition: "Covid Cowardice"

11 hours ago, Thaiforum said:

If you are a UK citizen you have to write to them and wait on average 5 days for a response. Irrespective of your reasons to stay you receive a rejection letter if,

So what are your reasons for not being able to leave Thailand & return to the UK? I can’t think of any that aren’t covered by the ones mentioned by the Embassy except medical & you don’t need a letter from them for that.

Oh & there have been reports of people being denied An extension using the US letter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Your non O visa or long term visa has been impacted by CV19

If this is the case, you can explain to them that you need an extension to give time for your funds to seed To get the 12 month extension & you should get a letter 

Of course it’s probably easier to just go see an agent 

Edited by Mike Teavee

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

So what are your reasons for not being able to leave Thailand & return to the UK? I can’t think of any that aren’t covered by the ones mentioned by the Embassy except medical & you don’t need a letter from them for that.

Thailand is a low risk country and the UK a high risk country for catching Covid, a potentially deadly disease.

Fear for one's life isn't reasonable?

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thailand is a low risk country and the UK a high risk country for catching Covid, a potentially deadly disease.

If you’re in the at risk category then tell them that or go to see a Dr & get a medical certificate 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Not sure, I used a multitude of reasons and threatened to board anywhere but uk and I underlined without their support I will be forced to travel during a period when FCDO advise the opposite. I highlighted if I did go back to UK my only objective would be to return to thailand as soon as possible. I believe the latest covid 19 uk update gas swayed them and they are ready to make those letters rain.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They have the power to grant people an extension without an embassy letter, why don't they do this if they are so kind and generous?

While you make a point worth considering, I think the reason things are being done as they are is because 1) there is an existing set of rules governing visa extensions that most IOs feel obliged to follow unless there are extenuating circumstances such as a specific diplomatic request and 2) the Thais wanted this to be a cooperative effort agreed to, or responsibility shared by, both Immigration and the governments of various countries. Thailand isn't responsible for those countries who aren't willing to play ball and give in a bit to their citizens.

The US, which as I posit likely cleared the letter with both the Thai MFA and Immigration, was willing to cooperate and freely gave copies of the letter to any AMCit who filled in the form. That allows the Thai authorities to say "we reviewed and accepted this request from a long term ally, and under the current circumstances we are willing to accommodate this request". It's diplomatic nuance, perhaps, but it allows everybody to save face and come across as the good guy. That's kind of what diplomacy is, and the gesture will be reciprocated at some point by the US, perhaps in something like MFN trade considerations.  As I said also, it's a plus for everyone in terms of safety, goodwill, and spending that helps Thai people and businesses. Somewhat surprisingly, it is also an admission by some in the USG that "we are doing an abysmal job re Covid, and we accept that Thailand is doing infinitely better" In other words, it is a pat on the back for Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Fear for ones life is perfectly reasonable. It is the argument often used by refugees who the UK will increasingly not accept. Thailand has historically been resistant to accepting refugees, so their attitude about those returning to countries with disease outbreaks should not surprise you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walker88 said:

1) They are displaying great kindness and understanding in a world gone virus-mad

The Thai government will have a list of countries that are deemed high risk but have no qualms about telling people they should return to those countries.