True WiFi Issues

swm59nj

Im having issues with True WiFi. Since I started service in June eight times they have sent technicians to me. This is due to the wifi signal dropping. Tomorrow they are sending one again for the ninth time. The connection in this highrise building is DSL. They just had fiber installed last week. But Im still on DSL. I know DSL is old technology.

I have an Iphone 11. The wifi signal on the phone will show I have a strong connection. But I will get warnings off and on saying poor or no internet connection. Sometimes I cant even connect. For the past two days it has been even worse. Every two or three minutes I have to keep switching back to data. For example when Im using Line, messages are delayed either sending or receiving. And of course using other apps and web browsing poor or no connection.

I also have a laptop fairly new. Sometimes when I use it I lose the connection there. But when I try to reconnect it will say no network connections are available. So either I have to reset the router or call true for a refresh. When I do after about ten or fifteen minutes Im able to reconnect to the laptop again.

Since June basically when I call True customer report they say the signal is dropping. Once when I called about a month ago they said the signal dropped fifty times in a forty eight hour period.

So far they replaced the wifi router twice. The last time was two weeks ago. About two months ago they replaced some part that was worn in the main box by the juristic office. The wifi worked fine for about a month then started acting up again. A couple of times the technicians couldnt find anything wrong in my room. So True claimed they had to check the outside. Then they usually say its been resolved. When I called the last two nights, they say the signal is fine, it only dropped once in the past few days. But as I said the issue is even worse now.

I even sit next to the router. No improvement. And I also have reset the network setting on my phone.

I want to drop True because of this. But I have the Gold Package and say that Im under contract for a year. But they dont offer any compensation for the issues. Anyone have had any issues such as this or suggestions?

17 hours ago, RichCor said:

Please note: "WiFi" is an independent wireless connection technology, think of it as a "one-time-cost" add-in device that can be integrated into consumer home Internet routers (or added using a separate WiFi Access Point afterwards).  An Internet Service Provider may include WiFi when issuing you a router, but they aren't obligated to support it. 

So there are really TWO parts to examine here: (1) your vDLS phone line, router, its software and Internet service; (2) your router built-in WiFi hardware and software.

The issue you're describing could be in Part 1, the vDSL phone line, router or service; or Part 2, the WiFi hardware section and its software.

To test your provided Internet connection you should really connect your laptop directly to the router via an Ethernet Cable (even if only temporarily) to see if the problem occurs there and continues to persists over time. This would isolate the connection issue to the Part 1 sections (the phone line or the router). If the wired connection works without an issue then we move to examine Part 2 (the WiFi setup and it's software). If you are in a WiFi congested area you may experience connection issues from the devices having to constantly renegotiate connections, or it could be some software flaw being constantly triggered from some environmental condition. Sometimes disabling the built-in WiFi and purchasing a better quality external WiFi Access Point solves these issues ...especially if you buy a dual-band 2.4/5GHz and connect using the usually uncongested 5GHz radio spectrum.

Thank you for the reply. The True technician just left. He was the one that came last time. He speaks some English so I could communicate somewhat with him. He installed I believe its called an Access Point Box to supplement the router. I dont quite understand it. But from what I read online the Access Point box boosts the wifi? But now I have both the wifi router and Access Point box.

An "Access Point" is the radio electronics and software firmware to make a wireless connection work with your Internet Connection.

Your current True router has it built-in, but if its implementation is 'buggy' then it can be disabled and an external WiFi Access Point connected to provide the local device wireless connectivity.

"Boosting" is just a marketing term. There are also devices known as "WiFi repeaters/extenders" that can be placed at midway points to further extend your original WiFi signal coverage. These come with their own issues.

The WiFi Access Point will have either internal or external antennas. For best performance and reliability it's preferred to place the box away from metal objects, walls, or dense furniture.

Here's hoping True's current solution solved your connectivity issues. 

Rich gave some good suggestions.

You mention highrise building the old DSL line to your router probably is not visible for inspection as it passes through ceiling spaces and wall cavities. I would suspect damaged line caused by rodents or corrosion.

When you try to reconnect to wifi and get the message no network connections available maybe the router is working hard to establish a connection to the Internet and ultimately messes up other router processes. Just a wild guess.

With all the documented visits from technicians True should allow you out of the DSL contract and get you onto the fiber, I know easier said than done. If they keep stringing you along with ineffective fixes long enough your contract will expire and then you can move on to fiber and end of story.

Sometimes it helps to have a Thai speak with customer service on your behalf provided the Thai understands the details well like how many times technicians have been out for the problem. They can convey your frustration in Thai much better than you can speaking English to a Thai. Good luck.