Is anyone hearing anything?

5 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

I cant see how they cannot extend it further, its going to be total chaos if they don't, regardless of what the common consensus is, these guys in the cabinet are actually fairly smart people, unless somehow they just don't discuss the issue on Tuesday, if they do discuss the issue, they will come to the conclusion that the amnesty needs to be extended, and it will be extended.

Appreciate you sticking your neck out, but I'm not so sure. Why would they leave it so late?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, blackcab said:

However the amnesty has been extended for those with a medical reason or a letter from their Embassy.

That's not "the amnesty", but just a regular extension option which has always existed.

44 minutes ago, anchadian said:

No.  They've already made it clear there will no no further amnesty extension.

Immigration said this, but they are not the ones who granted the previous "amnesty" and its extensions. Obviously immigration is against an extension (they already stated this the last time), but if the ministers think an extension makes sense they could decide one without immigration agreeing to it.

49 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

I mean lawyers, officials, immigration officers and offices , visa agents, media, embassies or consulates?

It's decided by the Cabinet, so today nobody could tell how the ministers might decide next Tuesday.

If we had an insider (i'm not aware of any), we could know if they have it on the agenda, but we couldn't reliably predict the outcome.

Previously my personal opinion was "unlikely that it will be extended". Due to them not having it discussed last Tuesday (which would have been a reasonable date if they had any plans for an extension), my prediction is now at "very unlikely to see an extension"

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

it’s simple, we will find out Tuesday by 6pm ( they have meetings Tuesdays) 

Wednesday at the latest.

if no news Then that means no extension and you should be gone by the 26th or get a covid letter if possible to stay an extra 30 days.

the situation hasn’t really improved I agree but they’ve made it clear that this is more of a grace period than an amnesty. A lot of people were told to acquire the correct visa or prepare to leave by 26th.

i don’t think they will all of a sudden change their mind on the last week... but I hope I’m wrong and it will mean we get a freebie and it saves me 1900 baht - plus travelling to CW and back. 55

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's not "the amnesty", but just a regular extension option which has always existed.

The medical extension is available normally, but a 30 day extension because there is a difficulty returning to your home country due to Covid-19 is not a regular extension option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The medical extension is available normally, but a 30 day extension because there is a difficulty returning to your home country due to Covid-19 is not a regular extension option.

e.JPG.e156a17aa31c9b67e5efd0984ba7fd71.JPG

While "Covid" is a new "reason for necessity", an extension based on an embassy letter is still a "regular" extension, which has been available probably since many years.

• Thanks 1

I'd really be surprised if there is an extension.  The government was quite explicit in their statement that the 26th was the deadline.  How can they go back on it now? I suppose it's possible they might look the other way at the airport if you're flying out before the end of the month, but I'd bet the 26th will remain the deadline.  My advice would be to get yourself organized.  Quickly.

• Like 1

Crystal ball time...I am currently in Ubon..I heard last week immigration office here was empty, is that likely to get a lot more busy by the latter part of next week? The obvious answer is yes, but is it likely to happen?

I'm asking as I need to do a 60 day ext but fancy holding out just incase it gets extended again late Tuesday for example?

2 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I'd really be surprised if there is an extension.  The government was quite explicit in their statement that the 26th was the deadline.  How can they go back on it now? I suppose it's possible they might look the other way at the airport if you're flying out before the end of the month, but I'd bet the 26th will remain the deadline.  My advice would be to get yourself organized.  Quickly.

Government? What do you mean? Immigration or the cabinet? Or both?

A teacher works for the government, has one of those lovely brown uniforms and all,  but they don’t give a toss about the amnesty. The “government”? Come on, be a little more precise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

I would actually like to bet quite a lot on the amnesty getting extended in some shape or form. But since betting would most likely be against the law, I can’t take your bet, but I would love to.

yes of course they are not debating it, for most Thais it doesn’t even pop into their head to think about it, doesn’t really effect most Thai people. It effects all the foreigners which is why this forum is going mental with threads on it but the media is not even writing about it.

And Ive got plenty of options btw, no problem for me to stay past the 26th, regardless if amnesty gets extended.

But it seems pretty clear to me it will get extended. I know it’s easy to come up with arguments for it not being extended. But the real factor is what would happen if it didn’t get extended, which is why it will get extended. If the outcome is just to extreme, whilst preventing that outcome holds few of any drawbacks, then that outcome will rarely occur, simple really.

i cannot be sure, but I’m 99% confident the amnesty in some way will get extended.

Fair enough that you're sorted & cool that you're still betting on the other side despite the odds going by he overall sentiment here as well as media etc????
Once you see the outcome of last cabinet meeting, follow the arguments for & against and extrapolate from the past actions it's getting quite hard to come up with arguments for another sort of amnesty looking with fresh wide open eyes...
We have the thread guessing there's 18 billion to lose if they dont. Nobody care it's probably much less too.
Flights are least of any potential 'panic' issue so that's rules out too. Most non imm holders have caved in & found a way go local or thought enough is enough & made plans to leave/left.
Stuck Tourists are likely more than happy with 6 months extra holiday time & burned the travel budget for several years by now!
Remaining hardcore Thai fans be it family related, business related or the temples/buddhism ???? also have quite many options. Obviously amnesty have been great & convenient & a first but while some other countries still extend Thailand will not alone in thinking enough is enough. Regain control, keep the 'unlimited covid ext.' going for a bit & focus on getting those fresh special tourists inbound!!
Fair for those in country, fair for those stranded overseas - if fairness were supposed to be anything to go by ????

But only time will tell. Some said PM is predictable, but I really have no clue this time around that's why I had to blink first ???? Bring on 22nd!!!

Edited by worldfun
  • Like 2

The way these comments are written just feels like it is one author under 15 alias's boring as shiiit to be honest. If it don't get extended people will jet if it does I'll take the family away as a means of expressing my sorrow for my behaviour over the last two weeks. Today I'll go to bigC and buy food for 2.5 months in the event off. If it does not get extended I'll dust down the travel wear and hop on a plane. It's not the end of the world. Maybe for some people hence they likely take big risks and use all means necessary to stay here but that's not me babe. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, why would you even ask that question. You have your answer post #3.

What's you plan? You would only ask your question if you were banking on extension of amnesty. 

Foolish bet. You have 5 days to extend permission of stay. 

The amnesty is untill Sept 26 which is a Saturday. 

You now have 5. Tick Tock

So, obviously IO not open on Saturdays and can it be confirmed we will not be turned around on the 25th and requested to return on 28th and be charged 2 days overstay ? could someone Please confirm this. 

I do guess applying for a visit wife/family visa ext. can be processed on the 25th

1 hour ago, JeffGroves said:

So, obviously IO not open on Saturdays and can it be confirmed we will not be turned around on the 25th and requested to return on 28th and be charged 2 days overstay ? could someone Please confirm this. 

I do guess applying for a visit wife/family visa ext. can be processed on the 25th

Normally if your permit to stay ends when immigration is closed you can apply for a extension on the first day they are open without paying a overstay fine. I personally think immigration will still go by tha rule on the 28th.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

the real factor is what would happen if it didn’t get extended, which is why it will get extended

What will happen if it doesn’t get extended?

People who haven’t arranged for an extended permission to stay will leave or be on overstay.

Hardly a major drama for Thailand...

NB: In the (99% likely IMHO) of there not being an amnesty, anybody who is unable to get an extension can apply for a 30 day extension which if rejected should result in a 7 day permission to stay while you make arrangements to leave the country. 

Not great, but might help a little for those with no other options. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

I would actually like to bet quite a lot on the amnesty getting extended in some shape or form. But since betting would most likely be against the law, I can’t take your bet, but I would love to.

yes of course they are not debating it, for most Thais it doesn’t even pop into their head to think about it, doesn’t really effect most Thai people. It effects all the foreigners which is why this forum is going mental with threads on it but the media is not even writing about it.

And Ive got plenty of options btw, no problem for me to stay past the 26th, regardless if amnesty gets extended.

But it seems pretty clear to me it will get extended. I know it’s easy to come up with arguments for it not being extended. But the real factor is what would happen if it didn’t get extended, which is why it will get extended. If the outcome is just to extreme, whilst preventing that outcome holds few of any drawbacks, then that outcome will rarely occur, simple really.

i cannot be sure, but I’m 99% confident the amnesty in some way will get extended.

I can see where you are coming from with this, but I think you are viewing it from your perspective and thoughts on it, instead of their perspective. 

Many Thais view this current situation as "The foreigners were told at the start of the amnesty that they have until 26th September to leave the country, which is plenty of time for them to make arrangements". The Government and immigration then (in their minds at least) did whatever they could to make sure those remained knew they had to get onto an appropriate Visa. 

Many foreigners, however, seem to have interpreted the amnesty as "We can stay until 26th September, and then we have to leave OR we get extended again". I think this is why to many foreigners it seems like madness to expect everyone to now leave, but from the perspective of Thais, they cannot understand how 4-5months has not been enough to do this, or at least get one of the Visas. 

I really do not think there is going to be any extension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1