Is anyone hearing anything?

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

As I have written elsewhere, the extension allowed on many visas is being handled almost automatically, despite "Tourists" being in country for 6 months already. It isn't "Oh, I just need a few more days because I haven't gotten to Jim Thompson's House yet". This is 100% Covid-related, and IOs even instruct applicants to put as their reason for requesting an extension: [Covid-19]. We know why we prefer to stay, they know why we prefer to stay, we know they know, they know we know, etc.

There seems to be an awareness, unstated, that Covid-free foreigners on visa amnesty are spending money in an otherwise horrific economy, and the fact foreigners prefer to stay in Thailand is a point of pride for a country that has handled Covid as well or better than anyone. Thailand has handled Covid deftly, and every one of us here on amnesty or now visa extensions are spokespeople for Thailand's competence and success simply by our desire to remain in a safe haven. It reflects extremely positively on the Thai Government.

Those on amnesty should be making their appointment to go to Muang Thong Thani or wherever to apply, and an appointment is now required because of the numbers involved. The Embassy letter is also required.

Now come late October, if a Second Wave has rolled across the planet, I would not be surprised if amnesty was again reinstated, as flights might truly disappear and many nations will be in lockdown (like how the number of Aussies who can return home is limited). For those on visa amnesty now, and who would like to stay, there is no better reason to apply for an extension than to be here, legally, if and when the amnesty is reinstated

Apparently MTT immigration in Bangkok is already fully booked.  And you need an appointment.

7 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Apparently MTT immigration in Bangkok is already fully booked.  And you need an appointment.

I thought that would be the case, as they have two sessions, morning and afternoon, allowing a maximum of 400 to book for each one.

Perhaps they will up the number allowed, as their operation is running quite smoothly. I had an afternoon booking, but was let in early and was finished well before my scheduled time. Total time from entry to exit was less than an hour. Still, with the tens of thousands on amnesty who prefer not to leave, it is likely to be chaotic come next week.

1 hour ago, jimmjam said:

Did you not read what i said, immigration wont give me a 12 month extension.

I guess you didn't qualify then...

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe they were people who saw that, as in March, all local borders are still closed and there is therefore no logical reason to change the amnesty situation. There are many in Thailand who make border hops of a few hours to a few days, and that has been impossible since March and is still impossible now.

I'll be going for the 60-day extension based on marriage, but I do wonder what will happen if the situation remains unchanged two months from now, which is far more likely than not. Only one 60-day is allowed, so then there are more questions raised. Will more be granted, or will everyone be forced to get one-year extensions with the financial requirements that involves - and which I'm sure many will not be able to satisfy?

Another complication for me is that my visa expires in mid-November, and as things stand I am unable to go to Savannakhet to renew it. What then? No amnesty and no way to apply for a visa. Flying somewhere at huge expense simply to get permission to return (with or without quarantine and numerous hoops) is beyond stupid and not a path I would be willing to take.

Thailand really needs to get a grip and realise there is a pandemic on and it doesn't only affect Thais in Thailand. It affects everyone.

What you are saying is that so far you played the system and now you can't any longer. 

No one is forcing you or anyone else to do anything. You decided you want to live here. There are some types of visas that will allow you to, provided you can fulfil the conditions and qualify for that. If you can't, either because you don't have the money or any other reason - you can't stay and it's not the problem of the Thai government nor the Thai people.

Thailand understands there is s pandemic, and that it effects everyone, not only Thai. But this is Thailand. They only have to care for and take care of the Thai people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cant see anything other than an amnesty extension.

Maybe it will be like the first one and won't come until after amnesty ends.

If immigration are going to give continual under consideration stamps so everyone has to visit immigration 2x monthly they'll soon get sick of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

The Schengen countries still have an "amnesty" for Schengen visa holders that is due to end on September 30th. As others have already mentioned, many Southeast Asian countries still allow people to stay, too, for a fee.

Thailand failed to move from this unstamped automatic extension to a pay-to-stay scheme in July, when it would have been safe to visit local immigration offices again. If they had introduced a special COVID-19 extension back then that doesn't require embassy letters or medical certificates, they could have ended the invalid visa chaos right then while maximizing the official fees collected. But they simply preferred to push those affected towards agents who can magically overcome all the obstacles an applicant might face on their own.

obviously the agent route is not for all obstacle climbers otherwise you wouldn't have page after page of people in a panic.  And why have a special covid extension for people who can travel again, just because airlines are gouging their customers, how is that Thailand's' problem? Nah, folks were given a gift here but as normal, are checking out its mouth..

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What I've done is act completely within the law. If that is 'playing the system', then guilty.

I for one would say 100% you have a visa and are using it as it allows. Bounce every 90 days. I'm not married but if I was it would be the very visa I would have esp as I (pre covid) go Saigon every month.

The point I have issue with is if I had a ME marriage I would have moved to annual extension marriage. It requires 400k in bank for couple of months. Sorry but can't get head around that not being able to access that amount of money. It's a temporary requirement. Granted difficult or impossible at short notice but it's been 6 months. 

Your 60 days to visit wife will pass quickly borders won't open quickly and then what.

The alternative for those without funds was agent. You rule that out also.

Excellent plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1