The big bike Thai DL.

Kwasaki

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

The police are going to need a database of bikes and their power outputs to be able to put this into action properly. Bike A; 500cc, 30hp - 'big bike' licence not needed. Bike B; 500cc, 48hp - need BB licence. Chances are, on the roadside, cops will only see '500cc' and base their decision on that so that Bike A owner will risk being nicked when he really shouldn't be.

If based solely on engine capacity, it'd be quite easy to implement. But is that "47hp" an indicated horsepower (at crankshaft) or brake horsepower (at rear wheel)? I'd guess the latter but you never know. What about a 399cc bike with 48hp indicated?

Can of worms in the making.

I concur it ganna be a shambles. ????

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just looked at the insurance for my XMax 300 and the insurance company classifies it as a Big bike under Body Type, so it really makes me wonder sometimes as to classifications here in Thailand.  In the US what is considered a Scooter, or Maxi Scooter here in Thailand is classified as a Motorcycle as long as it is 150 CC's or more, under 150 CC's they classify it as a Motor Driven Cycle, and then there is the Moped classification which has pedals as well as a motor.  All these need for the operator to have a Class M (Motorcycle License).  However the Class M has either a M1 category or a M2 category, with the M1 license for Motorcycles and are unrestricted from 150cc's and up, while the M2 license has restrictions which are located on the back of the California DL.  

My CDL is for Class C and M1 and says No Restriction on the rear.  With that license I walked in and out of the DLT here in Thailand in 3 hours and 45 minutes with both Licenses, only testing required was the 4 physical ability tests, and 45 minute video.  I asked the gal that was processing my licenses about the new big bike classification license proposed for Motorcycles, and she indicated that because my CDL was with No restrictions she was unsure what would be needed in the future, and had no idea if the name of the license would change from Private Motorcycle Driving License to Big Bike, or whether they would use a classification system like they do elsewhere.  In her view she said she did not have a view one way or another because as she put it "All motorbikes are dangerous if you do not know how to ride" 

* I forgot to add that the Three Wheeled Motorcycles, such as a Trike, or the new Can Am style bike with the two wheels up front can be ridden with an Automobile license or Class C in California, unknown what they classify those 3 wheel bikes here in Thailand as.

Thanks a good read on how countries do things, UK is very strict nowadays on getting a large cc motorcycle DL. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

????I got my motorcycle license 40 years ago back home and its still valid just as my car license, but wonder how that will turn out with this new regulation if I find out I want to get me a big bike at old age. ????

Felt.

The agest thing should not come into it if you are fit enough and in control of your machine. 

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

The police are going to need a database of bikes and their power outputs to be able to put this into action properly. Bike A; 500cc, 30hp - 'big bike' licence not needed. Bike B; 500cc, 48hp - need BB licence. Chances are, on the roadside, cops will only see '500cc' and base their decision on that so that Bike A owner will risk being nicked when he really shouldn't be.

If based solely on engine capacity, it'd be quite easy to implement. But is that "47hp" an indicated horsepower (at crankshaft) or brake horsepower (at rear wheel)? I'd guess the latter but you never know. What about a 399cc bike with 48hp indicated?

Can of worms in the making.

The 47HP is the power specified in the vehicles specs, pretty sure that's at the crank. A 399cc bike with 48hp would not need a big bike license.

I just checked my green book and I didn't spot the HP listed. So police at a checkpoint really would have to somehow look up the HP of the bike because only the cc is indicated in the book. They'll probably know it for the most popular models and many real big bikes will be quite obvious but there are some edge cases like the CBR500R which isn't obvious (just under the HP limit).

So what I think will happen is that police will just go by cc and then you can try and contest it if you think your bike doesn't fall under the big bike specification.

The easiest way for the police would be if they just had an app with all in Thailand homoligated bikes that they can quickly check.

I disagree with just basing the big bike definition on cc. cc can be very disconnected from the actual power of a bike. The NC750X with 745cc produces as much HP as the Ninja ZX25R with 249cc. The former would required the big bike license while the latter wouldn't even though they are equally powerful.

Yes it would make it easier to implement the checks but I don't think it would be a good way. Imho they should put the HP in the green book and then just base the big bike license requirement on HP.

Especially in light of the near future where many vehicles will be electric with 0 cc. You could have a 200HP monster of a race bike that doesn't require the big bike license. They will probably have to revise the law again in a few years.

• Like 1

Every new law or licence is piece of toilet paper if nobody supervice the law! Even new DL still kids drive and die! Same lvl law , need use underwear! Nobody just don't care!  If almost every time you break rules, you can manage 500 bth, who want do nothing! And who care!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Every new law or licence is piece of toilet paper if nobody supervice the law! Even new DL still kids drive and die! Same lvl law , need use underwear! Nobody just don't care!  If almost every time you break rules, you can manage 500 bth, who want do nothing! And who care!

Whats that in English ?

• Haha 1

Nothing chance if attitude not chance here! I have drive much over million kilometer whit all kind vehicle in many coundrys! I have had 2 crash here, one whit dog one whit other car. That dog accident was my own fold! Coz drive girls too small bike! Other not my fold but i paid 8000 bth to get out of situation!

Normaly i dont have issue to drive here, even here happen much accidents! Thailand is ok place to drive to me, only need focus like always!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Every new law or licence is piece of toilet paper if nobody supervice the law! Even new DL still kids drive and die! Same lvl law , need use underwear! Nobody just don't care!  If almost every time you brake rules, you can manage 500 bth who want do nothing! And who care!

I guess your right sadly but I would like see some better training and supervision on young people getting there motorcycle DL's.

The 3 to 4 kids on a wave going school is another problem much more than the govt wanting to introduce big bike DL's.

Just one of the reasons I call Thailand back to front. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Whats that in English ?

Use google translator lol. Im not english teatcher even they have ask me lol. If you not understand main thing there maybe you also need learn more!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess your right sadly but I would like see some better training and supervision on young people getting there motorcycle DL's.

The 3 to 4 kids on a wave going school is another problem much more than the govt wanting to introduce big bike DL's.

Just one of the reasons I call Thailand back to front. 

I hope they do that.  Everything come from attitude!But problems are way more deep! 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 11:05 AM, Kwasaki said:

With my valid full UK DL with category 'A' for motorcycle shown on it is how I got my Thai motorcycle DL that one of my points.

However I have been in Thailand 15 years so my UK is out of date but I still kept it.

As for having to do a test OK I would look forward to a laugh. ????

Me too. Wouldn't it be funny to crash right in front all the Thais? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Then that'd make a nonsense of the power limit, wouldn't it? "You can ride a small bike of more that 47hp on a 'standard' licence, but not a 400cc+ bike with the more than 47hp". Of course, we all know it's very unlikely that there'll ever again be 399cc bikes churning out 60hp, as Honda's CBR 400 RR did, among others ???? ???? .

Maybe, for the purposes of legislation, 400cc OR 47hp would make more sense. 

Speculation and 'how abouts' are useless 'cos nobody takes any notice except we bike fans on here.

Fair call but let's hope commonsense prevails if there's enough protest from big bikers but they have to be Thais though of course before any govt would take notice. ????

42 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Me too. Wouldn't it be funny to crash right in front all the Thais? 

You have me thinking saying that if I have to take a test I must remember my balance pills from the Chemist (pharmacy). ????

I had this kind , my first "ride"lol!

Unknown-1.jpeg.a57f2c90e6eabbe1662e596c5f46e2d8.jpeg

That time in Finland , you can drive moped "50cc" when 15 years old! I chance in that 80 cc cylinder and carb.

That run over 100 km/ houer. Police get me , after long chase! I drive in ditch coz my heavy friend in back move wrong direction lol! I get beat up from police and go court, fine that time was huge 800 mark and move my licence one year forward! (than leagaly can get one). Hmm... anyway nice memory lol. I was many way crazy that time! Still crazy, hope in good way! Never grow up in some thing's, but i think that my crazynes keep me "young" even i think i live best time in my life (48)!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I had this kind , my first "ride"lol!

Unknown-1.jpeg.a57f2c90e6eabbe1662e596c5f46e2d8.jpeg

That time in Finland , you can drive moped "50cc" when 15 years old! I chance in that 80 cc cylinder and carb.

That run over 100 km/ houer. Police get me , after long chase! I drive in ditch coz my heavy friend in back move wrong direction lol! I get beat up from police and go court, fine that time was huge 800 mark and move my licence one year forward! (than leagaly can get one). Hmm... anyway nice memory lol. I was many way crazy that time! Still crazy, hope in good way! Never grow up in some thing's, but i think that my crazynes keep me "young" even i think i live best time in my life (48)!

Good stuff buddy that's what bikers are made of not the pussy's in Thailand. ????????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Because the jeans you put on under the second one is the underwear then, duh! ????

Problems is that your supposed to wear the full jeans, not crotch less like the woman wear.  No fines for them, but you, ow thats a whole nother case.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

Then that'd make a nonsense of the power limit, wouldn't it? "You can ride a small bike of more that 47hp on a 'standard' licence, but not a 400cc+ bike with the more than 47hp". Of course, we all know it's very unlikely that there'll ever again be 399cc bikes churning out 60hp, as Honda's CBR 400 RR did, among others ???? ???? .

Maybe, for the purposes of legislation, 400cc OR 47hp would make more sense. 

Speculation and 'how abouts' are useless 'cos nobody takes any notice except we bike fans on here.

Yes, I also think OR would make more sense. Maybe the journalist just got that point wrong and the law will actually saw OR. We'll have to see the exact text when the law gets published.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jvs said:
19 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

"Thai logic", as you disparagingly refer to it, has already covered your point.  When the announcement about the new licence was made it was confirmed that the big bike test would have to be taken on a sub-400cc bike before the licence would be issued. 

Will the same logic allow people to take a drivers test for a bus or eighteen wheeler in a small car?

No idea, ask whoever explained the requirements for the big bike licences in the press, not me, I was simply responding to a question that another poster raised. 

Is there discussion ongoing about the issue of PSV/HGV licences also as there are for big bike licences?  No, didn't think so.  Perhaps you just thought that it would be amusing to take the p iss out of Thais, in general, regarding a non-existent licencing situation?

Edited by Hi Tea

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
19 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

"Thai logic", as you disparagingly refer to it, has already covered your point.  When the announcement about the new licence was made it was confirmed that the big bike test would have to be taken on a sub-400cc bike before the licence would be issued. 

I think it would be interesting to watch a Ducati Rider take the driving course test at the DLT

That won't be happening unless there is a sub-400cc Ducati.

Edited by Hi Tea