The big bike Thai DL.

Kwasaki

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

That won't be happening unless there is a sub-400cc Ducati.

I think the poster was making a good point.

From what is written as you post I understand it is why people asking to what going happen.

Therefore I assume a person who has passed there test on a 150cc motorbike will take another test on the same bike after say 1 or 2 years and get a big bike DL.  

That will be pointless IMHO.

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think the poster was making a good point.

From what is written as you post I understand it is why people asking to what going happen.

Therefore I assume a person who has passed there test on a 150cc motorbike will take another test on the same bike after say 1 or 2 years and get a big bike DL.  

That will be pointless IMHO.

The devil is always in the details, details of which are still totally up in the air and not posted into law.

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The devil is always in the details, details of which are still totally up in the air and not posted into law.

That said at what I am assuming it is better than the system at the moment. 

I guess the police will have step up there game to,  I've only been stop once in 15 years to show my license riding what they csll a big bike. 

• 1 month later...

I read some more info in Thai on Facebook about the new big bike license, hard to make heads or tails of it with Google translate, but generally they say the announcement is coming soon (or released already), then 120 days to implement, so come into force around March next year - too short notice...!!!

400cc "or"  35kw power will require it, that's about 46.9HP..., not many bikes below 400cc go over this, so 400cc and over really...

Age restriction of 20 years old or more, and must have a 5 year licence - not sure if that is bike or car will do - so no 2 years temporary licence...

They mainly say must do a new exam , but it's not clear you also need a certificate of some sort of advanced big bike training at hand in addition when you go on the day of your exam, or not. It is all totally unreliable rumors, take it with a bucket of salt...! 

But I'm glad I'm below 400cc for now until the whole mess is sorted out - with all the covid backlog I don't think it will be easy to get this new license...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

I'm planning to move up from my single cylinder 250 but this seems to be a nuisance..

I could still think about getting a Yamaha 321cc though. 

Yes, big cash cow for the bibs, I reckon they may particularly target farangs on big bikes - times hard, they need the extra cash...(while Thai kids pass by on their CB650s...!)

MT-03 is a good bike, but it is a very high revving beast, 11k RPM...! A bit of a track/racing machine.... - but what do I know, just read about all of these, never tried it, can't find one in whole of Phuket...! Even Yamaha doesn't have it in their showroom here...

KTM 390 is going to be the most popular bike here, just under big bike license, cc and hp....!  If they open more shops they could clean up.....????

Edited by Agusts

Yes, I'm seeing plenty of used 390 for sale with reasonable prices. 

My only concern with KTM is support and aftersales, which is why I'm leaning towards the MT03/R3. 

Besides,  I prefer a high revving twin than a torquey single.

This new "big bike" licensing might end up just like getting a regular DL but with higher fees. We all know how things work here, so this is not out of the question. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, alx123 said:

Yes, I'm seeing plenty of used 390 for sale with reasonable prices. 

My only concern with KTM is support and aftersales, which is why I'm leaning towards the MT03/R3. 

Besides,  I prefer a high revving twin than a torquey single.

This new "big bike" licensing might end up just like getting a regular DL but with higher fees. We all know how things work here, so this is not out of the question. 

https://vroomthailand.com/?fbclid=IwAR2Pvsgq7QyLWtMmaiSZobgd3kUv4jKhI2g9t2Ibu0_lEEo8jFveIN3oQY0#tab1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3NegvnfY8

I have seen that video comparison before, that guy keeps comparing MT-03 with KTM and says Yamaha is better in every way, then at the end says KTM wins...!? Because it's more fun...!

I have also test driven Bajaj NS200 of 4 or 5 years old a while ago , it's actually not bad, only dowm side was exessive vibration at handlebar, just the plague of most single cylinder bikes - I like the look of their Dominar 400, the Indian made bikes are getting better...

On 10/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, Agusts said:

I have seen that video comparison before, that guy keeps comparing MT-03 with KTM and says Yamaha is better in every way, then at the end says KTM wins...!? Because it's more fun...!

I have also test driven Bajaj NS200 of 4 or 5 years old a while ago , it's actually not bad, only down side was excessive vibration at handlebar, just the plague of most single cylinder bikes - I like the look of their Dominar 400, the Indian made bikes are getting better...

Again, two reasons for me to choose the Yam:

1. Twin cylinders (smoother engine, higher revving)

2. aftersales and support in Thailand

The video piston broke posted actually supported reason No. 1.

I'm sure though, KTM 390 will be more fun to ride due to its torquey nature. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new heard about big bike DL. ?

Managed to find my old UK DL today which I got my first 1 year DL for a Thai motorbike DL.

It will be interesting on how there gonna be sorting this new big bike DL out. 

Saw a big bike accident today a truck was slowing to turn right, started the turn and guy was too close and his righthand side go around the world case sticking out the back caught the back of the truck .

Big bike fault was my take. 

11 hours ago, Agusts said:

But I guess you find everybody with turn up with some kind of rocket or other for the big bike test, so not that easily awarded...????

Well that maybe right but there's always a " but " and it's still not clear what's happening.

I got my Thai motorbike driving licence by showing my photocard UK DL which listed motorbike unrestricted motorcycles in size/power category 'A' .

The UK DL has obviously not been renewed because I don't live there.

Now the big bike DL is being introduced I still have the expired UK DL to show how I got the Thai motorbike DL that everybody gets.

So whether they will just give me a Big-bike DL is still not known.  

I don't think this will be a massive issue. If I had to guess it will probably be just turn up with a 'big bike', smile and Wai, ride up and down through a few cones, make a U-turn, pay a few hundred Baht and you're done.

The more expensive the bike and gear, and the bigger the smile (and higher the Wai), the less chance of failing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I don't think this will be a massive issue. If I had to guess it will probably be just turn up with a 'big bike', smile and Wai, ride up and down through a few cones, make a U-turn, pay a few hundred Baht and you're done.

The more expensive the bike and gear, and the bigger the smile (and higher the Wai), the less chance of failing. 

Well I hope the 'U' turn is wide supersport bikes don't have much of a tight turn. ????????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Agusts said:

A clever BiB should stand by the DLT office entrance and catch all the guys on big bikes going for the "big bike"  test, could make a killing...hahaha...????

Funny maybe but unlikely, will be interesting when all people who are owners of big bikes for many years Thai & falangie alike will get to know what is expected of them.

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I hope the 'U' turn is wide supersport bikes don't have much of a tight turn. ????????

Yeah, if this involves tight maneuvers through traffic cones at low speed then a Supersport wouldn't be my bike of choice ????.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, jvs said:

it was confirmed that the big bike test would have to be taken on a sub-400cc bike before the licence would be issued. 

Q1: Does this mean a "big" bike shop will be unable to sell you a "big" bike if you don't posses the correct license.

Q2: Does this mean Somchai can take the big bike test on a 125? 

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Q1: Does this mean a "big" bike shop will be unable to sell you a "big" bike if you don't posses the correct license.

A1: No, you can buy a big bike, a small bike, a car, a truck etc without any license. After all companies need to also be able to own vehicles and they can't have licenses. It's the rider, not the owner, who needs the license. To buy it, you only need identity and address proof.

A2: Yes, that is what was said in this thread. It doesn't make sense though so I am not sure if this is really how it'll be.

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, if this involves tight maneuvers through traffic cones at low speed then a Supersport wouldn't be my bike of choice ????

????  As it happens I have already arranged to borrow my biker buddies 500X which is ideal if showing my UK DL licence with 'A' category is of no use. ????

Edited by Kwasaki

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I guess you can still buy a bike they never ask to see a licence, never have with me anyway. 

Well if Somchai wants a big bike license my guess is he cannot turn up on a big bike unless he already owns one. 

If I cannot obtain a Thai big bike licence by just showing my 3rd 5 year Thai motorbike licence & the UK DL I  got the Thai motorbike DL with which includes motorbike, I will turn up on a big bike. 

I went to renew my bike tax and insurance at Phuket DLT office last week, after poped into driving licence office and ask the lady at first / info desk about big bike license, she kind of laughed and rapidly waved her arms as to say "no hab, no hab..." ... ! ????

So I persisted a bit more and asked about info and when we can get some info etc. , she waved her hand a bit more and this time to say get the hell out of here, but at the end said I don't have any info, come back in February... ????

Now I think by that she meant she will know more about it by then , and not that it will be enforced any time soon...????