Jump to content

The big bike Thai DL.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

That won't be happening unless there is a sub-400cc Ducati.

I think the poster was making a good point.

From what is written as you post I understand it is why people asking to what going happen.

Therefore I assume a person who has passed there test on a 150cc motorbike will take another test on the same bike after say 1 or 2 years and get a big bike DL.  

That will be pointless IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

>= and "AND". That's what "some newspaper" said:       Sometimes I see some Honda NSR 150 or 250 on the streets of Phuket. These two strokes are ferocious. Probably also tun

My 5 year bike licence is up for renewal next year, so will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm not too worried though.  When I moved here in 1990 I had a valid car licence from my home country,

Then that'd make a nonsense of the power limit, wouldn't it? "You can ride a small bike of more that 47hp on a 'standard' licence, but not a 400cc+ bike with the more than 47hp". Of course, we all kno

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think the poster was making a good point.

From what is written as you post I understand it is why people asking to what going happen.

Therefore I assume a person who has passed there test on a 150cc motorbike will take another test on the same bike after say 1 or 2 years and get a big bike DL.  

That will be pointless IMHO.

The devil is always in the details, details of which are still totally up in the air and not posted into law.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The devil is always in the details, details of which are still totally up in the air and not posted into law.

That said at what I am assuming it is better than the system at the moment. 

I guess the police will have step up there game to,  I've only been stop once in 15 years to show my license riding what they csll a big bike. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I read some more info in Thai on Facebook about the new big bike license, hard to make heads or tails of it with Google translate, but generally they say the announcement is coming soon (or released already), then 120 days to implement, so come into force around March next year - too short notice...!!!

 

400cc "or"  35kw power will require it, that's about 46.9HP..., not many bikes below 400cc go over this, so 400cc and over really...

 

Age restriction of 20 years old or more, and must have a 5 year licence - not sure if that is bike or car will do - so no 2 years temporary licence...

 

They mainly say must do a new exam , but it's not clear you also need a certificate of some sort of advanced big bike training at hand in addition when you go on the day of your exam, or not. It is all totally unreliable rumors, take it with a bucket of salt...! 

 

But I'm glad I'm below 400cc for now until the whole mess is sorted out - with all the covid backlog I don't think it will be easy to get this new license...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alx123 said:

I'm planning to move up from my single cylinder 250 but this seems to be a nuisance..

I could still think about getting a Yamaha 321cc though. 

 

Yes, big cash cow for the bibs, I reckon they may particularly target farangs on big bikes - times hard, they need the extra cash...(while Thai kids pass by on their CB650s...!)

 

MT-03 is a good bike, but it is a very high revving beast, 11k RPM...! A bit of a track/racing machine.... - but what do I know, just read about all of these, never tried it, can't find one in whole of Phuket...! Even Yamaha doesn't have it in their showroom here...

 

KTM 390 is going to be the most popular bike here, just under big bike license, cc and hp....!  If they open more shops they could clean up.....😁

 

Edited by Agusts
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm seeing plenty of used 390 for sale with reasonable prices. 

My only concern with KTM is support and aftersales, which is why I'm leaning towards the MT03/R3. 

Besides,  I prefer a high revving twin than a torquey single.

 

This new "big bike" licensing might end up just like getting a regular DL but with higher fees. We all know how things work here, so this is not out of the question. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, alx123 said:

Yes, I'm seeing plenty of used 390 for sale with reasonable prices. 

My only concern with KTM is support and aftersales, which is why I'm leaning towards the MT03/R3. 

Besides,  I prefer a high revving twin than a torquey single.

 

This new "big bike" licensing might end up just like getting a regular DL but with higher fees. We all know how things work here, so this is not out of the question. 

 

https://vroomthailand.com/?fbclid=IwAR2Pvsgq7QyLWtMmaiSZobgd3kUv4jKhI2g9t2Ibu0_lEEo8jFveIN3oQY0#tab1

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3NegvnfY8

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen that video comparison before, that guy keeps comparing MT-03 with KTM and says Yamaha is better in every way, then at the end says KTM wins...!? Because it's more fun...!

 

I have also test driven Bajaj NS200 of 4 or 5 years old a while ago , it's actually not bad, only dowm side was exessive vibration at handlebar, just the plague of most single cylinder bikes - I like the look of their Dominar 400, the Indian made bikes are getting better...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if/when the KTM 390 Adventure will be sold in Thailand (& price). They have been a good seller in Europe/USA&India for a while now but nothing mentioned in Thailand????

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, Agusts said:

I have seen that video comparison before, that guy keeps comparing MT-03 with KTM and says Yamaha is better in every way, then at the end says KTM wins...!? Because it's more fun...!

 

I have also test driven Bajaj NS200 of 4 or 5 years old a while ago , it's actually not bad, only down side was excessive vibration at handlebar, just the plague of most single cylinder bikes - I like the look of their Dominar 400, the Indian made bikes are getting better...

 

Again, two reasons for me to choose the Yam:

 

1. Twin cylinders (smoother engine, higher revving)

2. aftersales and support in Thailand

 

The video piston broke posted actually supported reason No. 1.

 

I'm sure though, KTM 390 will be more fun to ride due to its torquey nature. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything new heard about big bike DL. ?

 

Managed to find my old UK DL today which I got my first 1 year DL for a Thai motorbike DL.

It will be interesting on how there gonna be sorting this new big bike DL out. 

 

Saw a big bike accident today a truck was slowing to turn right, started the turn and guy was too close and his righthand side go around the world case sticking out the back caught the back of the truck .

Big bike fault was my take. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...