What is up with Phuket immigration?

There are people getting extensions until October 15 without having to provide proof of residence but me, & others getting asked to bring a ton of extra paperwork. We're in line, my gf provides her paperwork, all good, she was given a ticket, told to wait for her number to get called up.. "Next" I hear, walk up to the counter, provide the SAME EXACT paperwork my gf gave them, and guess what, they tell me I have to get my landlord to provide proof of residence and more.. this Monday will be my third time heading there as they keep asking for new requirements every damn time we go.. What is going on?

Moreover, from what I've read around the web, I never got a 30 day extension, this will be my first, do I have the right to ask for a 'normal' extension instead of getting the 2 week "Covid" extension they're providing us in Phuket Immigration? Cheers.

Edited by padthaininja

The people mentioned are getting a under consideration stamp with a report back date of October 15th to get the remainder of their 30 day extension requested by a letter from their embassy.

Are you applying for a 30 day extension of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry which does not require the letter from your embassy?

Were you submitting a TM30 form and supporting documents for it from your landlord.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The people mentioned are getting a under consideration stamp with a report back date of October 15th to get the remainder of their 30 day extension requested by a letter from their embassy.

Are you applying for a 30 day extension of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry which does not require the letter from your embassy?

Were you submitting a TM30 form and supporting documents for it from your landlord.

We were both submitting the TM7 + STM2 forms.

Have you done a proof of residence before i.e. you have the slip stapled into your passport?

If yes you only need the usual pertinent copy pages from your passport, as long as nothing has changed since your previous proof slip to obtain a new proof of residence.

I was given the same malarkey as the OP by the "guys on the right hand side". Another officer from "the left hand side" intervened and overruled the other IO. He even apologised for the first guys "incorrect demands". I then had my new proof of residence in about 2 minutes.

My experience is far from unique according to many other "victims" of the-right-hand-side ????

15 hours ago, padthaininja said:

Moreover, from what I've read around the web, I never got a 30 day extension, this will be my first, do I have the right to ask for a 'normal' extension instead of getting the 2 week "Covid" extension they're providing us in Phuket Immigration?

When you entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you are eligible for the 'regular' 30 days extension of stay (if you did not yet use it, as you are only provided one per entry).

Unfortunately, even if that is the case there are several IOs that do not want to issue such regular 30-day extension, and will insist on an Embassy letter to provide you instead with the 'special' extension of stay.

Luckily there are also IOs that still honor the normal IO rules/regulations and DO issue such regular 30-day extension of stay when on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry and you haven't used it yet.

So now we have the crazy situation that applicants that are eligible for the regular 30-day extension of stay which their VE/TR entry entitles them to, but are not able to get an Embassy letter, have to travel to Chiang Mai, Samui, Mae Hon Song (including Pai) or Ubon Ratchathani where the IO does provide them with that regular 30-day extension of stay they are entitled to.

It is of course possible that there are more IOs than those four, but at the moment of writing these are the only confirmed reports.

Note: Also at CW (more specifically MTT) the regular 30-day extension of stay is denied by IO.

6 hours ago, pookett said:

Have you done a proof of residence before i.e. you have the slip stapled into your passport?

Never.

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

have to travel to Chiang Mai, Samui, Mae Hon Song (including Pai) or Ubon Ratchathani where the IO does provide them with that regular 30-day extension of stay they are entitled to.

I do have an Embassy letter. Phuket to Samui, a little trip I would've done if covid didn't exist.. ????