Ok, had enough. Where can I go in SE Asia?

CG1 Blue

On 9/19/2020 at 3:41 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Thanks, but maybe I shouldn't have chosen the word "joys". As you say, I can get the female 'company' at home. For me the joys include tropical climate, jungle treks, fishing, beach life, Thai food etc etc. 

Don't forget vistiting temples....ha ha ha ha hha ha

• Haha 1

I looked everywhere in SE Asia. They're all closed to tourists, or as in the case of Cambodia come with heavy caveats that still include 14 days sitting in one location. I looked further afield at Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc, same story. 

The best options I could see were Cyprus, Turkey, Albania. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The OP has his answer.  For SE Asia, currently Cambodia is the only one, with considerable caveats, and no direct flights from Europe and very little transit options.

Cambodia is NOT allowing tourists into the country at this time. There seems to be a belief (seen several times in this thread already) that anyone willing to plunk down a $2000 deposit can enter, but that isn't the case. The country has suspended VOA and e-visas, and Cambodian consular offices are not issuing tourist visas. Even if you're willing to pay the costs and go through quarantine, you can only get a visa if you are a diplomat or a person doing business in Cambodia (and they will require more than just your say-so to back that up).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I feel you shouldn't take a risk to travel far from home. You never know they can lockdown at any time and you may have to stay there for a long time. I suggest you to go to nearby countries like Spain there are beautiful beaches in Canary island. Playa de Engelsk was lovely. Or you may go to Greece good food and reasonably good beaches. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 2:17 AM, CG1 Blue said:

I'd love to hear from learned TVF members about where I could go that will a) let me in the country, and b) offer me some of the many joys that Thailand provided before Covid. 

the largest group of Thais outside of Thailand are in a very large Thai community in Los Angeles. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Everywhere is closed shop ! suggest you hire a sunbed And get some stickers of palm trees to put on your walls for at least the next six months mind you Thailand is opening up from October 1st but it will cost a million per month and that includes the 1st 14 days in isolation so you need to bring one of those expensive latex dolls in your suitcase ????????????

PS I’m in Thailand my wife is stuck in the UK since the virus she has no chance of getting back yet ☹️☹️☹️

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 2

You include a lot of info which is of no interest to anybody but yourself, however, my advice is to stay right where you are in these troubled times. Failing that, give Cambodia a try. You'll get in, at least, at a price, but you will most likely be quarantined.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Bangladesh???

Haha. I've been there before and it wouldn't be my first choice for sure. But desperate times call for desperate measures. Just been told at work that we're being forced to take our vacation time in 15 day blocks so anywhere with quarantine is out. 

On 9/19/2020 at 4:10 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Where would you recommend in Mexico? I've been to Mexico a couple of times. Cancun with a gf, and Playa Del Carmen with my daughter. 

Lots of murders of Americans lately look for American Expat Camps , probably fb forums , check out Ecuador  OR panama 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 2:17 AM, CG1 Blue said:

I've reached the point where I need to get away and I can't wait any longer

(Sarcasm, don't take it personally)

Oh my, let us all help out this poor soul who "needs to get away"  I once went 4 years without a vacation.  There is a pandemic man.  Just wait and save your money for when travel is safe and you have an option for a vaccine before you go. 

If you do catch the Covid during your airport transits, on the airplane, or in the country you visit, are TVF members liable for giving you the destination suggestion? ????????????????

Best of Luck.

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

PS I’m in Thailand my wife is stuck in the UK since the virus she has no chance of getting back yet ☹️☹️☹️

Correct me if I am wrong but If your wife is a Thai national she can return home with little restriction other than self isolation.

The biggest hurdle though not impossible if she goes on standby is the direct flight.

Check it out with the embassy and good luck

You need to think seriously about your travel this year.

If you are lucky to have a job, just knuckle down, forget about a vacation this year

& you are right do "not trash your life"or you or your daughter die... Asia in many places is riddled with the virus or closed,