Ok, had enough. Where can I go in SE Asia?

CG1 Blue

16 minutes ago, condohope said:

Friend of mine just a minute ago wrote to me that he is going back to Puerto Princesa Philippines where he lived for 15 years but expects 5 days quarantine in gov. Hotel with one test before end of isolation.

Does your friend have children under the age of 18 in The Philippines? Otherwise it seems to be pretty closed according to https://travelbans.org/asia/philippines/

Been looking at the Caribbean myself for a few weeks away. B A has some really good prices on BA holidays. I might choose St Lucia , Rodney bay looks interesting and beautiful beaches.,I think lots of places are closed tho, but do deliveries. There are other Caribbean islands that are possible, I also think Belize is open. French Polynesia is open and it’s on my list, but as it’s quite an expensive holiday, I think I’ll,wait and not take any risks of having it cancelled. By the way, I don’t think it’s easy to get into Cambodia, a friend paid the 3000$ deposit but he has a business there. Would it be easy to get it back on leaving, not sure ! 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 2:57 PM, Nout said:

Bulgaria is open as is Macedonia but they are not SE Asia.

Good God not Bulgaria. Worst holiday I ever had.

Sunny Beach is basically run by the mafia. Wife had her purse stolen. Every restaurant puts extra food and drink on your bill. Honestly mate avoid. Taxi drivers are not allowed to take you anywhere outside of the resort.

I was going to suggest Belize but its just put a pause on reopening. Might be one to consider for the future though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Everywhere is closed shop ! suggest you hire a sunbed And get some stickers of palm trees to put on your walls for at least the next six months

PS I’m in Thailand my wife is stuck in the UK since the virus she has no chance of getting back yet ☹️☹️☹️

i have a near infrared sauna. Actually works wonders all year... But I do like the palm tree idea.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:13 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Agree, but I'm not willing to trash my entire life for a virus

That sounds as if that’s exactly what you want to do. Have you so little self control?

The virus effects long term are unknown (apart from death) people have been shown to have some nasty ongoing problems after being infected, even if they showed no symptoms of the disease. It’s unknown how long the problems will continue, they may be permanent, effecting different aspects of the body. The only safe course of action to avoid trashing you entire life is to not get it.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That sounds as if that’s exactly what you want to do. Have you so little self control?

The virus effects long term are unknown (apart from death) people have been shown to have some nasty ongoing problems after being infected, even if they showed no symptoms of the disease. It’s unknown how long the problems will continue, they may be permanent, effecting different aspects of the body. The only safe course of action to avoid trashing you entire life is to not get it.

How long would you willing to stop doing all the things you enjoy? If there's no treatment or vaccine in 1, 2, 3 years, then what? If you can't enjoy life then it's not life IMO. 

Maybe you're already in your happy place and don't need anything more than your daily routine.  If so then I'm happy for you. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Texas, Confederated States of America.

They know the pandemic is just a hoax put out by the Dems and their fake news cronies on CNN and BBC. Large gatherings (parties) are encouraged, none of that social distancing <deleted> there.

Cowboy hats must be worn, but no masks are required. In fact in some places they are allowed to shoot masked people with their compulsory carried handguns just in case they may break in to someone's premises sometime.

You're not someone of color are you?

uhhhh,  dunno .     is a  Redneck  a person of color ???    

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

How long would you willing to stop doing all the things you enjoy? If there's no treatment or vaccine in 1, 2, 3 years, then what? If you can't enjoy life then it's not life IMO. 

Maybe you're already in your happy place and don't need anything more than your daily routine.  If so then I'm happy for you. 

Well aren’t you impatient?

A vaccine usually takes a decade to produce but this time it looks as if that time is going to be reduced to ¼ of that. Don’t believe that once a vaccine is actually proven to be effective that it’s going to be generally available in the volume needed for many months.

Treatments are being found that are reducing the death rate but recovery and treatments for after effects are still in the very early stages. So delaying or avoiding  getting COVID is your best chance of avoiding problems for the rest of your life and having time to change the way you are living it.

If you’re not doing something that you like or at least can accept for some time then I think your choices could have been better.

it seems as if your future choices may lead you to take a life changing decision, and not in a good way.

I don’t have a daily routine apart from the usual eating sleeping etc and haven’t had a long term one for many years. So yes I’m happy to be in one of the safest countries with a reasonably secure future for the next few years and have plenty of time to enjoy the things I have and do among people I am with.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A vaccine usually takes a decade to produce but this time it looks as if that time is going to be reduced to ¼ of that.

We don't have a clue. The virus is constantly evolving and there is absolutely no telling if a long-term effective one will ever leave a lab. Sure they're throwing money at it and the media is relaying it extensively but it doesn't change that simple fact.

Edited by Seik
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well aren’t you impatient?

A vaccine usually takes a decade to produce but this time it looks as if that time is going to be reduced to ¼ of that. Don’t believe that once a vaccine is actually proven to be effective that it’s going to be generally available in the volume needed for many months.

Treatments are being found that are reducing the death rate but recovery and treatments for after effects are still in the very early stages. So delaying or avoiding  getting COVID is your best chance of avoiding problems for the rest of your life and having time to change the way you are living it.

If you’re not doing something that you like or at least can accept for some time then I think your choices could have been better.

it seems as if your future choices may lead you to take a life changing decision, and not in a good way.

I don’t have a daily routine apart from the usual eating sleeping etc and haven’t had a long term one for many years. So yes I’m happy to be in one of the safest countries with a reasonably secure future for the next few years and have plenty of time to enjoy the things I have and do among people I am with.

We all have choices, and we all have different approaches to the many risks in life. I won't question yours. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 3:41 AM, CG1 Blue said:

For me the joys include tropical climate, jungle treks, fishing, beach life, Thai food etc etc. 

At your place i would give a try to Cuba 

check the visa requirements and the flights available

imo probably one of the best beach and fishing experience

not a lot of jungle but few trecks possibles in the country side

forget the Thai food, except in international hotels the food

experience is usually pretty poor in Cuba 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@CG1 Blue

No country in East Asia would allow a foreigner to come in without a 14 day quarantine as far as I know.

So the only way is go to Chinatown in UK. Maybe they have a Thai restaurant or Thai massage there.

Edited by EricTh

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@CG1 Blue

No country in East Asia would allow a foreigner to come in without a 14 day quarantine as far as I know.

So the only way is go to Chinatown in UK. Maybe they have a Thai restaurant or Thai massage there.

They have plenty. A poor substitute though ????

On 9/21/2020 at 11:01 PM, Guderian said:

The Eden Project in Cornwall should fit the bill and no need for any air travel!

It's got the largest indoor tropical rain forest in the world, so that's your jungle treks and tropical climate sorted. Cornwall has many wonderful beaches and excellent fishing, so no problems on that front. And there are a number of good Thai restaurants not far away in Falmouth and Padstow (or visit Rick Stein and see what he's got on the menu, lol), and even a Thai-Chinese place in St. Austell near the Eden Project. What more could you ask for?

eden-project-rainforest-biome-huftoncrow

porthcurno016-adamgibbard-83610-original

small-but-perfect.jpg

The tiny thai...reminds me of my ex gf in LOS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Texas, Confederated States of America.

They know the pandemic is just a hoax put out by the Dems and their fake news cronies on CNN and BBC. Large gatherings (parties) are encouraged, none of that social distancing <deleted> there.

Cowboy hats must be worn, but no masks are required. In fact in some places they are allowed to shoot masked people with their compulsory carried handguns just in case they may break in to someone's premises sometime.

You're not someone of color are you?

Watch out for King Baby--he will sic his maga army on you if you talk badly of his fragile ego!

On 9/19/2020 at 4:25 AM, Billpro785 said:

Cambodia has a 14 self isolation, as said before, you need to deposit 2000.00USD upon arrival . You also need to buy the health insurance policy for 90.00 as well. I've been looking at The Dominican Republic for a trip, There is no test to enter, and no quarantine either. Plus the government is offering free health insurance to tourists for Covid 19. 

I visited Dominican Republic once for the purpose of possible retirement. Very negative impression. Avoid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Cuba is not open to tourists, and does not have flights, with a few exceptions:

Published 01.09.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to residents of Cuba.
- This does not apply to passengers traveling as tourists to Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Cayo Santamaria, Cayo Guillermo or Cayo Cruz with a reservation in an approved hotel.
2. Flights to Cuba are suspended.
- This does not apply to humanitarian and repatriation flights.
- This does not apply to flights landing in Cayo Coco (CCC), Cayo Largo del Sur (CYO) or Santa Clara (SNU).
3. Residents of Cuba are subject to quarantine for 14 days.
4. Passengers arriving in Cuba:
- are subject to medical screening; and
- must present a completed "Declaración de Sanidad del Viajero".

10 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

The OP wants to go somewhere in SE Asia.