Ok, had enough. Where can I go in SE Asia?

CG1 Blue

On 9/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Janner1 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but If your wife is a Thai national she can return home with little restriction other than self isolation.

The biggest hurdle though not impossible if she goes on standby is the direct flight.

Check it out with the embassy and good luck

She still has to do a 14 day facility quarantine, which these days is mostly done at a cheap hotel. 

On 9/20/2020 at 6:11 AM, Kalorymetr said:

Come to Portugal, lots of Brits here, town I stay in I started calling "British village".

Or the delightful place in Spain, which does offer one of the 'joys" of Thailand........and it's called, "Pulla-ma-Plonker".

Good questions. Wish I had good answers. I've lived here for 10 years. Want to go back to the states to visit my 92-year-old dad. Wouldn't be able to return, even though I have a long-term visa and rental contract.  I have heard as recently as today some reports that Cambodia might be loosening up a bit. But I have no direct info. LOGIC tells me nothing will be anywhere near "normal" until there is a readily available vaccine. But, bottom line - if there ARE places that would let you in...would you really want to go right now?  I have a pal just went stir crazy in Pattaya. Flying out to Seoul tonight. But it'll cost him a small fortune, and two weeks "incarceration."  Maybe it's good to just count our blessings and explore the "homeland" a little deeper?

3 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Dominican Republic seems to be a good one

One of my friends was planning a trip in Dominican Republic next month

his flight has just been cancelled (He was coming from Canada)

This site can help to check the situation 

https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/newsroom/coronavirus/

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, Alex25 said:

But, bottom line - if there ARE places that would let you in...would you really want to go right now?  I have a pal just went stir crazy in Pattaya. Flying out to Seoul tonight. But it'll cost him a small fortune, and two weeks "incarceration."  Maybe it's good to just count our blessings and explore the "homeland" a little deeper?

Umm...however 'deeper' he explores his homeland, maybe he cannot get the same 'pleasures' (warmth, temples, spicy food) which is why he is asking for help here?

1 hour ago, Alex25 said:

Good questions. Wish I had good answers. I've lived here for 10 years. Want to go back to the states to visit my 92-year-old dad. Wouldn't be able to return, even though I have a long-term visa and rental contract.  I have heard as recently as today some reports that Cambodia might be loosening up a bit. But I have no direct info. LOGIC tells me nothing will be anywhere near "normal" until there is a readily available vaccine. But, bottom line - if there ARE places that would let you in...would you really want to go right now?  I have a pal just went stir crazy in Pattaya. Flying out to Seoul tonight. But it'll cost him a small fortune, and two weeks "incarceration."  Maybe it's good to just count our blessings and explore the "homeland" a little deeper?

I haven't heard anything to suggest Cambodia is loosening up, but compared to neighbors Laos, Thailand, Myanmar and Vietnam (not to mention Malaysia etc.) the country is already not as strict.

In other words, if you can secure a visa that is NOT a tourist visa, get the covid test, insurance and carry US$2000 in cash, agree to be quarantine for 24-48 hours in a facility while awaiting the lab results and then 14 days at a hotel or home afterwards, you can get in. 

As for the vaccine question - that has been speculated on even years ago (that vaccines would one day become mandatory for air travel and/or to enter foreign countries) but can't be answered at this stage. I doubt that a vaccine will predicate the reopening. After all, it's neither guaranteed nor can the world wait potentially years for a reopening. 

Instead, I foresee a reopening whereby a rapid covid test will be required, or things may just go back to normal after the "threat" of the "pandemic" has passed, which I expect to occur in around 6 months from now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Of course it's no more open than Thailand now due to Covid, but Myanmar is still worth a visit. Great people, interesting culture, jungle treks, great beaches, ice-capped mountains way up north of Putao (Hkakabo Razi), and at least 135 recognized ethnic groups, most with their own languages. Oh, and snow leopards.

25 years ago it was interesting but backwater; today it has good phone and internet service, lots of supermarkets catering to Western/Japanese/Indian/Chinese tastes, but still unspoiled if you get out of Yangon or Mandalay.  Visas are required, but they're now available online (if Covid ever ends), 3-month Business Visas are easy to get, extensions virtually immediate, and only a small cash penalty for overstay. They WANT you to visit. They like to show off their country.

One caveat---Burman food isn't the best, but the ethnic varieties of cuisine (e.g., Kachin, Shan, Yakhine) are pretty tasty. Kachin has a delightful mix of herbs, citrus and chili in some of their dishes which is a flavor I've never had anywhere else. Lots of Western-style restaurants now open, too, including a great French restaurant (La Planteur) with a wine cellar that even has real (not Chinese copy) Petrus '61 (at around $12,000/bottle). Local beers are pretty good and cheap---Myanmar, Dagon, Mandalay---and there is a microbrewery producing some nice blondes and ales.

Taxis are easy to get, and Grab is common there. Get a local SIM for about 80 cents (vs $4,400 peak price ten years ago for the controlled SIMS) and top up in any convenience store. Viber used more than LINE, and WhatsApp also used. Nightime entertainment is bars and nightclubs, and the very Myanmar 'fashion show', which is frankly weird but interesting in its own peculiar way.

It's an easy land to like, and if you spend any amount of time there, you will have genuine Myanmar friends. They're open and welcoming.

First of all, business visas are valid for 70 days not 3 months and you need a sponsor (though pretty easy to find if you ask around). I think you can only get a longer visa after having first held 2-3 70 day ones but must apply at an embassy or consulate, not online. Online you can only apply for the standard 70 day single entry e-visa for business or the non-extendable 28-day tourist visa.

Overstay is acceptable for tourist visa holders at a rate of US$3 per day up to 90 days. Overstaying more than 90 days could result in possible blacklisting (as in Thailand). Short overstays are rarely an issue and are even encouraged, since for some bizarre reason tourist visas can't be extended. Perhaps after this is all over, the government might consider introducing an extension system or offer a 2-month tourist visa to begin with. I am not familiar with the extension process for a business visa, but I'll take your word for it that it's easy. I've never bothered, since most of my trips are 7-15 days so have never spent anywhere near 70 days in the country at one time, thus I apply for a new visa each time I go. 

Supermarkets are OK, but City Mart is a far cry from Tops (or especially, Central Food Hall) or Villa Market. Yes, it carries some foreign imported produce, but the variety and selection is much more limited than in Thailand. Most imported produce comes from Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and India with only a small selection from the USA, France and Australia (again, unlike Thailand). Ocean is an alternative but is more like a small Tesco Lotus. Nothing special. Outside of Yangon, Mandalay and possibly Naypyidaw, Ocean is pretty much your only choice; otherwise there are small no name supermarkets or convenience stores.

That could change in the near future as CP's 7-11 enters the Burmese market. 

I don't think the Burmese authorities are keen on foreigners seeing the entire country. About 30% remains strictly off limits to farang. Look at the restricted/open areas map, although it tends to be out of date. I've been given stern lectures by Burmese authorities for going to places I shouldn't be in. Ditto for taking pictures of border crossings and the like. So be careful. The interior parts of the country are very much open and yes, you could say the people and authorities want you to visit. However, you'll need to be prepared for regular passport inspections in places.

Coming from Mae Sot/Myawaddy, there are 2 passport checkpoints, one 17km outside of Myawaddy just before the mountain pass road, and another one 45km from Myawaddy at the end of the Thai built road, where the ADB is funding the upgrade of the Kawkareik to Eindu section of highway. As of February (my last trip out there) it was a mess, with a few good sections near Eindu and lots of dust, craters and weaving traffic for the rest of the way to Kawkareik. Not sure how much covid has impacted construction works, which, after 2 years of no work due to the Chinese contractor having gone home, things picked up last year when a new one arrived, but could very well be that there has been little to no progress since March. In Myanmar they often stop or slow down major road infrastructure/construction works during the rainy season due to the high volume of rain.

There is also a passport inspection at the Mon/Thanintharyi borderline at the crest of a mountain pass. The barrier will be lowered and while Burmese can go on their way quite quickly, foreigners must present their passports for inspection, which could take up to 5 minutes or so. Not a big deal, but there is more scrutiny of foreigner's documents when they travel than in Thailand, where foreigners (at least farang) are almost always waved through. 

• Like 2

I was in the same boat as you, desperate to get away. From the UK the only realistic places at the moment are Turkey and Greece. I just spent 2 weeks in Turkey. I had no idea what to expect. its not SE Asia, but I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1